change 2002 ford explorer 4.0 fuel pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one know how to change 2002 ford explorer 4.0 fuel pump ? I change a fuel pump on 04 chevy silverado before, idk if its same way ? thanks

I'd assume you have to drop the fuel tank and the pump is probably on top of the tank. I've changed a fuel pump in an 01 Explorer and that's how it was done, not really too difficult. The 02 Explorer was completely new from the ground up though, so I don't know if it's done the same.

Pull the tank skid plate, rear driveshaft, trans crossmember, couple of other little bits and pieces, drain it, drop it.
You need the special 3 prong wrench to unscrew it.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Pull the tank skid plate, rear driveshaft, trans crossmember, couple of other little bits and pieces, drain it, drop it.

So it is a bit more involved than it was on the earlier models. On the 01 there wasn't anything in the way that needed to be removed.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

rear driveshaft -_-, that where I might have problem with.

I used to have a 98 Explorer. I cut a "door" in the floor. Much easier to deal with after that. And I could get away with cheaper pumps due to the fact it was a 15 minute job to change one out if needed.

just want to be sure its fuel pump, the truck die and it hard to crank, I had to do the old trick, hit bottom of fuel tank couple time while other try to crank it and it crank, it stay running til I turn it off, and it wont crank again, some time it crank right away, but most time it wont. if I hit bottom of fuel tank while someone try crank it, it will crank and run fine til i shut it off.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
just want to be sure its fuel pump, the truck die and it hard to crank, I had to do the old trick, hit bottom of fuel tank couple time while other try to crank it and it crank, it stay running til I turn it off, and it wont crank again, some time it crank right away, but most time it wont. if I hit bottom of fuel tank while someone try crank it, it will crank and run fine til i shut it off.

So it won't crank over or it cranks but will not start?

it crank but wont start , like fuel problem

btw I pull his spark plug, and its gap over 100
mad.gif

Last edited:
I change the plug, fuel filter, before I change out the fuel pump , there a fuse under the hood caller for fuel pump, that fuse keep blow, when I replace new one, it crank right up for another min and it die, cause the fuse is blow.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I change the plug, fuel filter, before I change out the fuel pump , there a fuse under the hood caller for fuel pump, that fuse keep blow, when I replace new one, it crank right up for another min and it die, cause the fuse is blow.

I suspect a wire that powers up the fuel pump is shorting out somewhere. Also, maybe the the fuse panel has some short circuit somewhere. Does anything on the fuse panel look like it melted or covered with smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back