oil filter causes catastrophic engine damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
until OP comes back with detailed technical information and such, otherwise: there's far too many "drive by" one-off postings that is to badmouth certain so-n-so corporates or shops to the point where its gonna make BITOG no better than many so-called car enthusiasts boards all over the internet.

Nope, insufficient detailed information, compounded with "drive-by" like posting from a noob (registered yesterday, and only 1 post count, yadda, yadda).

Q.

Wheres OP?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The glue probably is more secure when bonding fiber to fiber. Many times we have seen metal end caps that have popped off because the glue didn't adhere well to the metal. Try tearing a fiber end cap off sometime. The fiber will be destroyed before the glue ever lets go. Just sayin'.

I see what you're saying, but it's a bit hard to imagine as likely. If a metal end cap peeled right off the glue form, the glue form would still be one solid piece. Hydraulic pressure could not twist one small piece off. Glue on fiber has a rougher surface to grasp onto, this is true, but the substrate is much softer and weaker than the glue, like tearing a piece of cured caulking off of cardboard.

If the OPs story is true, then regardless of the end cap type, a little ball of cured excess glue could have been sitting on the filtered side of the media, small enough to pass through the perforated tube and into the supply. And that imagined scenario is only trying to make sense of what he's told us so far

... thanks for you input, I need some documentation that will prove oil filters do have a bypass system that in fact would allow the piece of broken glue to get into the engine without going through the pleated material. Vavoline's contention is there is no way that piece that broke of could have gotten into the engine ... thanks again

... the filter has metal end plates. ... thanks for you input, I need some documentation that will prove oil filters do have a bypass system that in fact would allow the piece of broken glue to get into the engine without going through the pleated material. Vavoline's contention is there is no way that piece that broke of could have gotten into the engine ... thanks again

sorry you feel that way, I have been in the hospital ... can you explain or provide some documentation that will prove oil filters do have a bypass system that in fact would allow the piece of broken glue to get into the engine without going through the pleated material. Vavoline's contention is there is no way that piece that broke of could have gotten into the engine ... thanks again

GM reissued their own modified version of this filter in 2011, their dealer bulletin covers 80 different GM vehicles between 2008-2011. The bulletin specifically says use of after market oil filters can cause catastrophic engine failure. The piece of glue in question is approximately 1/8" by 1/16" and wish I could post a photo. ... I need some documentation that will prove oil filters do have a bypass system that in fact would allow the piece of broken glue to get into the engine without going through the pleated material. Vavoline's contention is there is no way that piece that broke of could have gotten into the engine ... thank you for your time

Originally Posted By: GT350H
... the filter has metal end plates. ... thanks for you input, I need some documentation that will prove oil filters do have a bypass system that in fact would allow the piece of broken glue to get into the engine without going through the pleated material. Vavoline's contention is there is no way that piece that broke of could have gotten into the engine ... thanks again

Don't you mean you need to prove the Valvoline filter in question doesn't have a bypass valve? If the filter doesn't have a bypass valve then the only way a piece of broken off glue from the filter could get into the engine is from breaking off from the clean side of the media inside the center tube.

Even if the filter does have a bypass valve, this piece of glue still could have broken off from the clean side of the filter. Valvoline has no way of proving where it broke off of unless they carefully inspect the filter in question.

Has Valvoline received and inspected this oil filter?

You need the failed oil filter. You need the broken off piece of glue that matches something in the filter, and the signed statement from the tech that found the piece.

Use a photo hosting site to upload the pics, and post the link.

If failure wasnt quick, that glue drip could've been from any previous filter. It could also be from any gasket/sealants used during engine manufacturing.

Go to valvolinefilters.com and put your vehicle information in their part search, select the part number and click on attributes.

Here is some of the info cut, pasted, and edited:
Part Detail - VO-88
Type of Filter
Spin-on

O.D.

Height

Gasket
Attached

Threads
M22x1.5

Relief Valve PSI
Yes

Anti-Drain Valve
Yes

I don't know how this is going to help you though. So it has a relief valve. You need to contact an attorney. Proving this "glue" is from the filter or from lack of filtration is going to need some experts. As was also stated, I hope you have the alleged defective filter.

And by all means, do not cut that filter open. Get the piece of glue that supposedly broke off and find out how Valvoline wants to handle this case and the forensics required to show what really happened.

Valovoline sent a Travlers insurance adjuster, he photographed the piece that had broken off and they determined because it was on the outside of the filter there was no way it could have gotten past the pleated filter. I contend and have read that filters have a bypass system, in this case a spring, so that I presume, under extreme pressure the metal end would lift up and allow oil to pass without going through the filter. There has to be a reason the piece that was on the outside of the filter ended up plugging an oil port in the cylinder head? This repair is documented by a certified GM repair shop. Thanks for your time

I have the filter, the GM technician cut the filter right at the base exposing the excess glue and the piece recovered from the oil port that matched the missing glue on the filter. The filter is a VO-88, the thing I don't understand is the relief valve is PSI which must mean when a certain pressure is produced the spring must push back and allow oil and debris to bypass the filtering process which is why the recovered piece of glue ended up in the head gasket plugging an oil port. Thanks for your time ...

piece of glue ended up in the head gasket blocking oil to one cylinder causing the head gasket to blow, piece was recovered and matches oil filter excess glue that broke off.

Sounds like Valvoline / Purolator need to own up on this.

Are you actually dealing with Valvoline or Purolator?

Originally Posted By: GT350H
I have the filter, the GM technician cut the filter right at the base exposing the excess glue and the piece recovered from the oil port that matched the missing glue on the filter. The filter is a VO-88, the thing I don't understand is the relief valve is PSI which must mean when a certain pressure is produced the spring must push back and allow oil and debris to bypass the filtering process which is why the recovered piece of glue ended up in the head gasket plugging an oil port. Thanks for your time ...

The bypass valve only opens up when the delta-p across the filter media is higher than what the bypass valve is set to open at. It has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure you see on the dashboard.

Not sure how Valvoline is going to react to the fact that someone has cut open the filter.

If you can prove 100% that the piece of glue that caused the damage came off the oil filter (exact matching profile on the loose piece to where it was on the filter), it doesn't matter if it was broken off on the clean side or dirty side of the media. Fact is, it still made it into the engine somehow if it was found inside the engine. If it did break off on the dirty side of the media, then it had to have went through the bypass valve when it was open.

sorry for the delay, and thank you for your input
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8457.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8448.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8453.jpg

Honestly, your situation is a tough one and places like Mr. Tire have insurance for things like this. File a claim with their insurance company and fight them until they pay. Tell the insurance company that you will hire an attorney if they don't pay for the damage. You can also file a case in small claims court and that may be the easiest route.

If I had the 3.6L DI GM engine, I wouldn't use anything other than the factory AC Delco PF63 oil filter. In that case, if anything should happen, GM would be buying the repair and at least you have someone that would hopefully stand behind the damage. GM's guidelines on the oil filter on that particular engine is very strict. Amsoil pulled the EAO47 filter and now has the EAO17 filter. Apparently this is a very common occurrence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back