2001-2007 Honda Accord recall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a letter in the mail today regarding recall # 14v-351. It states that certain Accords that were originally sold, or currently registered in high humidity climates can have issues with the air bag inflator rupturing during air bag deployment. This could cause metal fragments to possibly penetrate the air bag and cause serious injury or death to the driver. Air bag replacement is completely free under this recall. I went to make an appointment online with my local dealer and their website already alerted me that I have one recommended service, it was the air bag recall. So I just booked an appointment for this coming Thursday. Hoping it will be a hassle free process. I am happy that Honda is taking care of this issue at no charge to me, even though my car is 8 years old and well out of the warranty period. Thank you Honda.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I just received a letter in the mail today regarding recall # 14v-351. It states that certain Accords that were originally sold, or currently registered in high humidity climates can have issues with the air bag inflator rupturing during air bag deployment. This could cause metal fragments to possibly penetrate the air bag and cause serious injury or death to the driver. Air bag replacement is completely free under this recall. I went to make an appointment online with my local dealer and their website already alerted me that I have one recommended service, it was the air bag recall. So I just booked an appointment for this coming Thursday. Hoping it will be a hassle free process. I am happy that Honda is taking care of this issue at no charge to me, even though my car is 8 years old and well out of the warranty period. Thank you Honda.
Your Honda was just feeling left out without all the recalls. Your Uplander and Silverado were getting all the attention, (or at least their GM badge was).

Well they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it so they don't get sued when people get shrapnel in the face.

Hmm my Civic is on the list but I have too see if Si is included

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Well they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it so they don't get sued when people get shrapnel in the face.

Same recall happened with my 2001 Civic a few years back. Get it taken care of and keep driving it.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: silverrat

Same recall happened with my 2001 Civic a few years back. Get it taken care of and keep driving it.

First of all, will they have this part in stock when I arrive? Or will I have to leave my car for a day etc. Also, where is this part located. Do they have to replace the airbag cover on the steering wheel?

Safety recalls are mandatory on vehicles back to a certain age, 10 years, I think.

boy, shrapnel in the airbag would really do a number on you. They have a lot of force, I understand. Otherwise airbags are great.

Did you just get this recall? It's from June 20th 2014

I can't get the link to the recall to work but if you search your car on recalls.gov it pops up as June 20th

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did you just get this recall? It's from June 20th 2014

I can't get the link to the recall to work but if you search your car on recalls.gov it pops up as June 20th

Yes. I actually just did a little research. I guess it just takes them a while to get the letters out? Or to notify local dealers etc.

Does anybody know what to expect as far as a time frame? The only other recall work this car has seen was a software update shortly after I purchased it 3 years ago. I only have 1 weekday off of work every 3 weeks or so. So its hard to make appt's. Is this something that they should have in stock? Or will I have to leave my car there for a day or two?

Considering the cars in that campaign are at least 7 years old now and as old as 13, I would simply disable the airbags entirely. After that age most car makers state that you cannot even know if the bags will deploy at all in a reliable way.

Usually disabling them only requires a disconnection of the battery and disconnecting one small harness plug.

I cringe anytime I think of taking my vehicles into the
$tealership for service let along a N/C post warranty service like a recall. The next thing you know you have other problems when you leave after they "fix" the airbags.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Considering the cars in that campaign are at least 7 years old now and as old as 13, I would simply disable the airbags entirely. After that age most car makers state that you cannot even know if the bags will deploy at all in a reliable way.

Usually disabling them only requires a disconnection of the battery and disconnecting one small harness plug.

I cringe anytime I think of taking my vehicles into the
$tealership for service let along a N/C post warranty service like a recall. The next thing you know you have other problems when you leave after they "fix" the airbags.

I dont want to disable my air bags. So, does anybody know where the air bag inflator is located? Is it a easy fix for the dealer, or is there steering wheel / dash removal and so on. I dont want to be stuck at the dealer all day.

Does anyone think its a bad idea to have the dealer do this kind of recall work? I dont want anything to be damaged.

The inflator is part of the airbag assembly, along with the airbag cover. They'll disconnect the battery, undo a couple of screws, remove the complete airbag, install the new one, reconnect the battery, done.

As to how long they'll need the car, why not just call and ask them? And I think it would be a bad idea to NOT have it done! They won't damage anything...but left as it is, the airbag could certainly damage your face!

It would be fun to blow up some of the defective airbag assemblies... maybe I'll go check out the dumpster behind my local Honda dealership...

Originally Posted By: hpb
They won't damage anything...but left as it is, the airbag could certainly damage your face!

I agree that if the recall isn't done both air bags in the dash should be properly disabled.

As far as a $tealership not damaging anything...well you are from Australia, so maybe the dealers down there are not as bad, but here in the US you have a 70% chance of having the place be
either incompetent, crooked, or both.

I say find out how to disable the bags completely which only involves disconnecting them from a power supply and living without them.

I spent 11 years as a mechanic, 4 different dealerships in various states of Oz, and in no way, shape or form was it acceptable to damage a customers car. Leaving a greasy fingerprint on the steering wheel would see you being chewed out, let alone scratching paint, etc. I'm surprised there's such a difference in the US.

And each to their own, but I wouldn't be disabling the safety systems in a car my wife and kids travel in, too many idiots on the road.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
It would be fun to blow up some of the defective airbag assemblies... maybe I'll go check out the dumpster behind my local Honda dealership...

Sometimes when a part gets replaced under warranty, the old part has to be sent back to the OEM. It is used for proof that the repair was done, and sometimes the old part gets analyzed. If a dealer can't provide proof to the the manufacturer that the job was done, the dealer might not be reimbursed for the job.

I called the dealer today to see what kind of wait time I should expect when I go in on Thursday. They said that I should have called to make the recall appointment (I made an online appt). They said they that they couldn't order the part until I brought my car in, I explained that I don't typically have weekdays off of work so I needed to be able to have the.issue taken care of this Thursday. She said she would print out my vin info and let the service advisor know so he could order.the part.and hopefully have it in this Thursday. Hope it all goes as planned.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I'm surprised there's such a difference in the US.

There's not; those same things are unacceptable here as well. It's clear that antiqueshell has had some pretty negative experiences at dealerships and that's too bad. I've had some poor experiences as well, but the good experiences far outweigh the bad for me.

Well I just got back from the Honda dealer, they checked out the airbag and said they would need to order it. They set me up with a rental (2014 Nissan Versa). So I have to drive over there before work tomorrow morning, not fun. Hope it will be finished by the time I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back