Proper torquing of oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,all. I'm a new member and I'm curious to know the method members use the o ensure a properly torqued oil filter. Is it mostly a "by feel" method or is there a more systematic approach?

Most filters have a specification on the side for gasket making contact plus 3/4 of a turn. Some people mark them with sharpies to better pay attention to how much it's turning. I mostly snug by feel.

I have changed oil before on other people's cars and the oil filter sometimes could easily be spun off with almost no force but still wasn't leaking. A good snug turn keeps them in place.

For spin on filters, I'm sure the large majority of people over-tighten them They don't really need to be super tight. I'm sure I over-tighten, but I don't think I go too far as I certainly don't crank it down until the metal touches.

For cartridge filters, I put a torque wrench on them because they are plastic and I don't want to break one.

I don't bother with distance of turns or torque specifications when putting on an oil filter. I just put them on as tight as I can until it no longer turns unless I use excessive force. I rarely ever have trouble getting them back off. In short, "by feel"

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I don't bother with distance of turns or torque specifications when putting on an oil filter. I just put them on as tight as I can until it no longer turns unless I use excessive force. I rarely ever have trouble getting them back off. In short, "by feel"

This is me. "By hand" is usually about 3/4 of a turn. I used to use a ratchet and a socket filter wrench to do exactly 3/4 of a turn, but I don't bother with that anymore.

Hand tight for me, which is about 1/2-3/4 turn. Doesn't take a lot of force to seal it, but don't forget to check for leaks.

I go at it with a greasy gloved hand. The natural slip keeps it from getting too tight.

If I have problems unscrewing it in the future, a dry rag will degrease it and then I can go mogilla gorilla on it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

That is exactly what I've done for 10+ years and thousands of oil filters; never had a leak and never needed a filter wrench to remove one.

Method I've used on every car since 1986: Go as tight as I can with my hands, then 1/4 turn with a wrench. Comes off easy.

Naturally, cars with plastic cartridge filter housings really should consider using a torque wrench and the correct tool (cap wrench, socket, etc). The parts guy at my Mazda dealership lost count of how many housings he'd sold to Mazdaspeed 3 & 6 owners due to owners tightening them with pipe pliers.

Or 0.75 for the decimal inclined .
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
3/4 of a turn +/- 1/8.

9 to 6, 12 to 9, 6 to 3 for the fractionally challenged.

The filters I've used usually specify 3/4 - 1 turn after gasket contact. The filters on my Dakota usually don't make it past 2/3 of a turn so that's where I stop.

So far, I've only had one filter leak on me, and, ironically, it was one that the dealer installed after a change on my long-departed Malibu.

I used to use a wrench after hand-tightening but it was more hassle getting the wrench off in the tight spaces. I now just hand-tighten it as much as I can and call it a day. No issues across many years of oil changes. I do like the grippy coatings on filters, it makes it easier.

Have always hand tightened them until I feel "No way this is working loose"
wink.gif
Never had a leak as well .

I always make sure to lube the nitrile gasket with new fresh oil.

That way if you over do it a bit you can still get it off.

I just give it a good solid hand tightening.

Try a DENSO oil filter. They have a built-in stop that prevents over tightening. Very well made filter if you aren't off the deep end on filtration efficiency. Denso is the OEM for Toyota and all of their products are top line.Regards

Hand tight + 1/4 turn with the wrench has been working since the 1970's. I guess there's no point in changing now.

Hand tight - nice and snug - with a dry hand. Oil the gasket and make sure the old gasket isn't still attached to the housing.

Oil filters aren't very torque sensitive... Tighten them by hand and be done.

If anyone pulls out a torque wrench for an oil filter ima smack them
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back