Ultra Light Lithum Jump starter by Noco w/usb port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
By the way, those stickers are all wrong. The MAH capacity is inflated by 3X; when the cells are in series, one does NOT multiply MAH! Unfortunately, the first guy put the wrong capacity on the sticker, so now every other guy has to make sure he posts even higher fake number!

They have to do this to complete with the gross lying going on with the AGM jump starter "capacities". I've read the specs on the OEM replacement batteries, and they simply can't do the Amps that the labels promise.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
By the way, those stickers are all wrong. The MAH capacity is inflated by 3X; when the cells are in series, one does NOT multiply MAH! Unfortunately, the first guy put the wrong capacity on the sticker, so now every other guy has to make sure he posts even higher fake number!

They have to do this to complete with the gross lying going on with the AGM jump starter "capacities". I've read the specs on the OEM replacement batteries, and they simply can't do the Amps that the labels promise.

What capacities are we talking about here? Are we talking about the mAH ratings or the cranking amps ratings?

I don't see any ratings on the Noco other than 400 amps of cranking power.

We have one similar at our shop and it does everything we could ever want it to, including start dead vehicles like the one in the video. In fact, it'll start them 3 or 4 times like that, as well as let us move it around the lot with no alternator.

which one specific do you have in the shop? Is it cheaper than this Noco?

Ours is branded "All Start" and we gave something like 145.00 for it on special from the local parts store.

It can be had cheaper on Amazon

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I had sent Noco a few emails and through a few exchanges they are going to send me one of the Genius Boosts to do a review on!

That's awesome!

While I am a fan of Li batteries, they can be very unforgiving if they are ever discharged too deeply or run too hot. Unless they have true onboard watchdog circuitry, they can be a quick and serious fire hazard. It's scary if you ever see one start to run away. I know they retain their charge much, much better, and likely have their place because of that. However, I'd want to know it wasn't the same unit, built fast and cheap, with multiple stickers on it. I'd want something I know was cell-matched, tested, and known quality.

if it were me, I'd rather just carry a lead-acid in the trunk with a charging diode into what ever circuit I could find to trickle charge.

I went to the Noco site and asked what type of lithium battery technology it uses, specifically if it is Lithium Iron Phosphate. It is not Lithium Iron. The LiFePO4 battery technology is suppose to be much safer while offering good current output (popularized back in the day in dewalt power tools).

I've seen a few jump packs that use Lithium Iron batteries, I bought a cheap one on Amazon that I saw here on the forums. I've used it a couple times now with no problem. Both times, it was on a weak, not totally dead, battery. I haven't had to try it on a deeply discharged battery (hopefully won't need to!).

Well, are you going to be brave and run all the tests shown on that youtube once you get your jump starter?

Actually just received the noco in the mail today. My first email with them was at the beginning of the month but yesterday they never mentioned anything about it being shipped. I'll post a new thread after I test it. Might even be able to get it apart.

ftlwl4.jpg

Not sure if i am going to be able to get it apart, the darn thing has the triangle screws in it like toy trains have. I am going to see if i can find a cheap bit for it online, but the cheapest i've seen so far is a small kit for $13.

You got (I presume free) something which is worth about $100 in goods and now you are complaining about having to invest $13 in tools?

Seriously, visit DealExtreme type of stores and you can get those hundred bits for like $3.99 shipped to you from far east.

Last edited:
I guess you could call that complaining?

Yeah it's worth $130 right now on Amazon. Taking it apart isn't required for part of my review, i just wanted to see how large the battery pack is and if it's comprised of 18650s or similar multi pack cells or not.

The only rating on the box is "12v 400A 24Wh Lithium Jump Starter"

All the 100 bit sets i see like the ones online and harbor freight don't appear to have the triangle bit i need. I see lots of star bits with the center hole , but only the 1 set on Amazon that looks like it works.

I have something like this. I will check if it has the triangle bits.

http://www.dx.com/p/31-in-1-multi-functi...71#.VD8kgPldUSw

Whether you want to open it or not is up to you but I want you to run the short circuit tests and before that just make sure you list me as beneficiary in your will :)

P.S. It has couple of triangle bits, one is about 1.5mm side and the other is tiny and looks like a #0 Philips except it is 3-sided.

Well, you might find it from some other faster shipping far east site or some local such as meritline etc to see if they stock in their US warehouse.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not going to take it apart at this time. From some research it appears that the pack will be around 6300+ mAh of 3.8v cells, probation 18650 sized. I may take it apart at another time but I wanted to test it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back