Most reliable diesel pick up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know a whole lot about Powerstroke/Duramax/Cummins. I did hear that one of the Powerstrokes in the last 8-10 years was prone to bad injectors, but that's about it. I would love to have one if I can justify it, but was just curious to see if anyone has any stories, good or bad. Thanks guys

Well...the early 6.0 Ford was eh...
The can be made to be bullet proof, but if you don't know the history avoid them.
6.0 EGR Google

06 and 07 Dmax are good. 05 and 04Had some injector issues and some 05s would overheat.

The earlier ones were ok but had some injector issues as well.

You do get the Allison with the Dmax which is a very good unit.

I am a GM guy but I would get a manual Cummins. The Dodge autos were not horrible but the Cummins would beat them up.

I asked myself this same question not to long ago. I ended up buying a new 13 Ram with the Cummins and manual 6 speed transmission.

99 Superduty will have the 7.3 Powerstroke. They don't make the most power but they run forever.

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
99 Superduty will have the 7.3 Powerstroke. They don't make the most power but they run forever.

This.

What will you be doing with the truck?

I'm really just exploring my options...by no means do I "need" a diesel. I really just want one because I've always liked them. wouldn't be towing or doing much hauling. It would pretty much be a daily driver.

Dodge Cummins have the reputation for a reason - they've been doing it for decades and it's really hard to go wrong with that engine. Some have said the trucks themself aren't the best though. (you asked reliable pickup not just reliable engine)

Ford makes great trucks, not necessarily great diesel engines. Every time I hope they finally will have a new great one within a few years they let me down.
frown.gif
Some guys have considered a cummins diesel into a ford pickup the "perfect" swap giving the best of both. They have been the best selling trucks more often than the others if I remember right.

Chevy's Duramax has definately developed a reputation for being a great diesel, especially if your into serious power increases without heavy modifications. The trucks themself i'm not as sure about - they don't normally outsell the Fords anyway.

I'd say a 90's P-pump/12 valve cummins is probably the best engine for the money for both reliability and power. Swapping one into a truck you like best or that has a good reputation always an option - done to both Fords and Chevies. (i'm wanting to put one into a Chevy personally because I like their Suburban better than Fords Excursion)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
6.9L idi.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to own an 82-87 Ford, but you never know. 170 HP and 315 LB feet of torque is barley enough to keep up with traffic these days.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Chris142
6.9L idi.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to own an 82-87 Ford, but you never know. 170 HP and 315 LB feet of torque is barley enough to keep up with traffic these days.
but it dont make enough hp to hurt its self lol.

Originally Posted By: Stang40
I'm really just exploring my options...by no means do I "need" a diesel. I really just want one because I've always liked them. wouldn't be towing or doing much hauling. It would pretty much be a daily driver.

A large diesel pickup is a terrible choice for a daily driver, unless you're regularly hauling heavy things almost every day. They're very expensive to own. Diesel fuel cost more than gas.
They take about 3 gallons of oil, so oil changes are way more expensive.
Registration costs way more.
Tires cost way more than car tires.
Parts in general are way more expensive.

Those trucks are for people who need to haul or tow heavy things, not to commute to the office.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Stang40

A large diesel pickup is a terrible choice for a daily driver, unless you're regularly hauling heavy things almost every day. They're very expensive to own. Diesel fuel cost more than gas.
They take about 3 gallons of oil, so oil changes are way more expensive.
Registration costs way more.
Tires cost way more than car tires.
Parts in general are way more expensive.

Those trucks are for people who need to haul or tow heavy things, not to commute to the office.

+1

Unless money is no object, diesel trucks really don't make much sense if you're driving unloaded. Especially newer ones, with emissions systems that choke the mileage to close to their gasoline-powered brethren.

Do the math yourself, OP, but I think you'll find the price to operate is much higher. Now resale might factor in; it depends on how long you expect to keep the thing. Unfortunately, all the "bro-dozer, roll coal" fools have made used diesel trucks exceptionally expensive. What that means in my mind: used gas equivalents are a comparative bargain.

I firmly believe the people that use their diesels to haul substantial loads do much better than the people who foolishly seem to think they can make a hot rod out of them.

My 09 Dmax has been completely free of foibles, but the only time it comes out of its shed is to haul a BIG 5th wheel camper. Seems to do just fine for us. I did tons of research, and the RV people were the ones who convinced me to go GM on that purchase...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I firmly believe the people that use their diesels to haul substantial loads do much better than the people who foolishly seem to think they can make a hot rod out of them.

My 09 Dmax has been completely free of foibles, but the only time it comes out of its shed is to haul a BIG 5th wheel camper. Seems to do just fine for us. I did tons of research, and the RV people were the ones who convinced me to go GM on that purchase...

But bro, do you even try to smoke? I bought this superduper chip with smoke tune and 0-60 tune. It's amazing! I don't even have to monitor EGTs or anything because it's a truck!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

But bro, do you even try to smoke? I bought this superduper chip with smoke tune and 0-60 tune. It's amazing! I don't even have to monitor EGTs or anything because it's a truck!

Haw! That's rich (pun intended).

Seriously, I leave vehicles I need to last stock. We routinely run our fleet to very high mileage and I expect to do the same thing to ole Dmax...

Thank you guys for your input. Money definitely IS an object so I guess this is not the way to go. Btw, I am the OP, just lost my pw and haven't updated my email address so I had to make a new account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back