Spark plugs replaced - pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I didn't think Porsche would use copper plugs on a Panamera!

These are standard plugs. I still don't know why so many people call standard plugs "copper". Nearly all plugs have copper cores these days, but the electrode material isn't copper.

There isn't necessarily better performance from platinum plugs. The main advantage of platinum is self-cleaning and resistance to erosion. If changed at regular intervals, standard plugs are capable of better performance. Also - Porsche would probably go with Bosch, even though Bosch platinum plugs have that horrible thin-wire center platinum electrode. A lot of manufacturers go with traditional suppliers even though they don't make the best parts. Just look at Swiss watch companies going with Renata batteries (which are infamous for leaking).

These are not standard plugs these are also a precious "metal" (actually a rare-earth element) plug. All precious metal plugs are not fine wire.
They use a Yttrium-Nickel alloy throughout the plugs construction with a copper in the mix for the core.
These are an OE specific product made to match the OE ignition system. It is irrelevant if it is better or worst than NGL Iridum or double platinums, etc, these are the actual plugs specified.

Still looks like a standard plug to me, regardless of whether or not the material might have a small amount of another metal in an alloy.

Certainly the 30-40K/4 year mile spark plug change interval spec'ed by Porsche would suggest it's not a long-life plug. You can download Porche maintenance booklets from around the world, and in some regions they even recommend a 30K km change interval for Panamera plugs.

Thats the spec plug and thats the spec interval with no alternative offered by the manufacturer or the OE plug maker.
I think we can all agree that on vehicles that are this expensive to repair in parts you don't go wandering off the reservation with non OE parts unless you know for 100% sure what works as good or better and what doesn't, its really that simple.

NDX, I just got a Panamera with 43k miles and it has the original plugs in it. Can you tell me how it went without the torque wrench?
How hard was it to change the plugs. My dealer wants $400 to change the plugs (including plugs, but I can get the plugs for under $50). Is there something special I have to do or is it like changing the air filter where you have to remove the bumper.
Or the oil change where I kept pulling at this thing in the engine thinking it was the dip stick, but it was not (I cracked myself up on that one).
Thank you for any input, advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back