Motorcraft FL299 vs FL1A oil filter specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would share my findings.

As suggested by Greasymechtech, I contacted Hastings regarding their filters that cross reference to the Motorcraft FL1a. They had a number of them. One is Hastings #LF115 which is the same physical size as the FL1a. The Hastings LF115 has a Micron rating of 12. They also listed a longer version #LF426 (like the FL299) which had the same specs as the shorter LF115 except the micron rating was 23.
Considering the FL1a micron rating is 20, which is a minimal difference to the large Hastings LF426, and I prefer to go with a filter with more capacity, the large Hastings is what I will be going with. Thank You to all for their feedback

When you mention "micron rating of x" above, at what efficiency are those ratings given at?

Originally Posted By: FordSUVTruck
I didn't ask Hastings or anyone who has posted micron ratings here about the efficiency.

Should I have?

Definitely. A micron size without the corresponding efficiency percentage is useless.

Makes sense and Thanks for bringing it up. I assumed that when a filter micron rating was given or advertised, it was at a standard efficiency rating. I contacted Hastings and they indicated the following:

#LF115 (FL1a cross ref) Nominal micron rating 12 @ 50% eff. 30 micron @98% eff.
#LF426 (Fl299 cross ref)Nominal micron rating 23 2 50% EFF. 45 micron @98% eff.

I guess I need to know what the FL1a filter micron rating efficiency is to compare. Does anyone know or know where I can get micron with efficiency ratings for the FL1a and FL299 filters? Thank You

According to this chart, the FL820S has an efficiency of 93.7% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12. I would assume that most Motorcrafts would have the same efficiency if all use the same media. At one time (and maybe they still do), Motorcraft would advertise their filters to be 80% @ 20 microns, but the independent ISO teasing that Amsoil conducted showed at least the Fl820 being better than that.

AmsoilEaOilFilterEfficiency.jpg

^^^ That's what I would assume unless you can get valid information that says otherwise.

Originally Posted By: FordSUVTruck
I understand. It am having difficulty locating specs on the Motorcraft filters.

Yes, you will find if difficult. Like I said before, the only specs that could ever be found were from Motorcraft advertising efficiency as "80% @ 20 microns" for their filters.

Then the Amsoil testing graph came out showing it at 93.7% @ 20 microns. I think I even emailed Ford & Motorcraft division a few years back trying to get better spec info, and that was fruitless.

What is your goal in finding a filter? Efficiency, cost, availability ... ??

Suggestion, find out what size it takes in a Fram and find the up-size from that in the Ultra. Or do the same thing for a WIX/NAPA Gold. Pick on of those depending how long your OCI is and how much you want to pay. Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns good for 15,000 miles, WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% @ 20 microns good for 7,500 miles. Both are good construction and reliable.

Purolator full synthetic would be a good choice too, 99% @ 25 microns and good for 10,000 miles.

According to the WIX website their FL1A equivalent is WIX #51515 and their larger FL299 equivalent is WIX #51773.

They indicated they were the same except the micron ratings.

WIX #51515 (FL1A equiv.)had a nominal micron rating of 20. They did provide the Beta ratio of 2/20=13/23. Which I believe is 50% at 13 microns and 95% at 23 microns.

WIX #51773 (larger FL299 equiv.) had a nominal rating of 30. The website did not provide the Beta ratio. I will contact them by phone and see if it available for this bigger filter so it can be compared.

I will check on the Purolator Ultra tomorrow. Good suggestions. Thanks

^^^ Purolator Synthetic or Fram Ultra. Both are full synthetic media filters, and the Ultra is a bit better filtering performance and OCI duration rating.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
It's only natural to think bigger is better when it comes to oil filters, and you'll find many threads on here, and other forums, where people are trying to find an oversize option for their engine.

In reality though, it's rare that'll you ever get close to exceeding the capabilities of a OEM size model, notwithstanding special circumstances (cleaning heavy deposit accumulation, etc.).

The FL-1A is a good filter, most especially for the price.

Yea but ppl who dont want to use the FL-1A is b/c they want a SILICONE ADBV.. The FL-1A is regular nitrile rubber... so many want Silicone.

I contacted FRAM re: FRAM PH8A (FL1A equiv) and FRAM PH977A (FL299 (larger) equiv.) They indicate that the larger one is not as efficient as the smaller filter. The larger had a 30 micron rating @ 97% eff.compared to a 20 micron rating @ 97% eff. for the smaller one. They indicated the larger filter is not available in their more efficient Ultra line.

I contacted Purolator re: L3001(FL1A equiv) and L40017 (FL299 (larger) equiv.) They indicated that they were both rated at the same 20 micron at 97.5 % efficiency. The larger filter is not available in their more efficient Pure One line. (For some reason the Tech I spoke to did not sound all that convincing to me. Maybe its just me. I wish I could look it up myself somehow)

Assuming that is the case, it appears then that the Purolator L40017 (FL299 (larger) equiv.) is the larger filter that I can use that has the same micron rating and efficiency as the smaller FL1a equiv.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Great, now we're going to have people wanting to put the FL299 on their Focus.
laugh.gif

Won't fit. I already tried a FL1A on my foci, the diameter is too large and hits the bracket/housing. So it is FL400s for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back