I dented my filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter removal tool that I used was a little too thick to fit into the space between the filter and the sensor below it.

Being smart as I always am, I put the tool through the filter first (before it went on the car) and then tightened the filter after. After I was all done I realized the tool can't come back out because this filter is different then the old one (old one is shorter).

So after struggling for 30 mins I finally got it out by bending/cutting the band on the tool but in the end I still managed to damage the filter by leaving a dent size of a candy mint.

I started the car and once the pressure built up the dent popped back out on its own.

Did I do any damage to the Napa Nascar Select filter internally?

No ..but you'll be cautioned that the flexing of the can weakened its structure. What you don't want is a dipple flexing in and out with pressure variations that will eventually cause a break in the metal.

You're going to be bombarded with several posts that insist that you remove it and replace it with a new one ...even though the dent was restored to normal ..the damage will have been considered to have already been done. To some degree, this is surely so.

Now all that being said, I've put a few filters on with dents in them in ignorance ..and have never had one fail because of it. Now that I have this knowledge ...if I do install one with a dent, it will surely result in an engine that is seized since it will decide to occur when I am not driving it.

That's the law. Once you attain enlightenment ..you're cursed to follow the path that it dictates ..or there will be consequences ...dire consequences.
frown.gif

grin.gif

quote:

You're going to be bombarded with several posts that insist that you remove it and replace it with a new one ...even though the dent was restored to normal ..the damage will have been considered to have already been done.

Consider this the first one.... replace it or the metal fatigue demon will strike!!!
shocked.gif

quote:

No ..but you'll be cautioned that the flexing of the can weakened its structure.

You'll also be cautioned against the tightening of an oil filter with a filter removal tool.....

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:

quote:

No ..but you'll be cautioned that the flexing of the can weakened its structure.

You'll also be cautioned against the tightening of an oil filter with a filter removal tool.....

Yeah!!! That too!! ..and for another thing, just what laundry detergent have you been using?? I thought so ..you don't even know!!! j/k
grin.gif

Why can't I use the filter removal tool? The last time I tightened filter by hand I ended up with leaks.

I just have to make sure I don't overtighten with the tool and it will make things easier won't it?

I will replace the filter tomorrow. I wonder if I can replace the filter without draining all of the oil first? It's a 98 Dodge Avenger.

Why would you torque down a filter with a tool?!!?!

Every oil filter I've ever seen says to turn it 1/2 - 3/4 turns after it makes contact with your engine. If that isn't enough, then there might have been some dirt between your oil filter seal and your engine the last time you did it.

You should be able to hand tighten it, and take it off by hand.

I'll admit that sometimes meeting the oil filter's spec of 3/4 of a turn after contact isn't always a walk in the park. Some of the access to some filters makes it very difficult. I typically don't do it and use the "hand tight with extreme effort" techique if the 3/4 mark cannot be easily reached.

Otherwise a tool would be the only way to do it.
dunno.gif
As long as you don't exceed the spec (whatever it may be) ..a tool should not alter anything ..or so I reason.

I can get the easily accessed filters off by hand, usually ..but some have been a challenge that was only remedied with a tool. They don't just sell filter removal tools for the lazy or weak (although I may be lazy ..I'm by no means weak).
smile.gif

zimmerDN - just swap the filter. No draining required.

I like the Fram filters tough guard with the coating on the back 1/2 for gripping with a bare hand. Once you put one on snug hand tight you don't need a fliter wrench to remove it.

So I just replaced the filter 10 mins ago.

I hand tightened it this until it can't be turned anymore with medium effort. So I hope it isn't overtightned too much and I would be able to get it off by hand next time. Because it was impossible to get the damaged ones off by hand and it was leaking too. I cleaned it really good both times.

I don't doubt I did over torque the damaged one. But I don't get why the last 2 filters has been leaking even though I did clean everything and lubed them as instructed. They were installed by hand at first then I even went back to retorque it with the tool thinking maybe it wasn't tight enough. They still leaked.

KFBXDLI,

You've obviously never tried to romove Orange Can installed by the morons at Wally World!
wink.gif

Bob

Edit;

I have over the years installed dozens of filters with dents, lucky in my ignorance. Had thought it was ** when I first read dent therory here,,,but just today I was reading Tech Buletins in new Champ filter catalog and lo and behold there it was !

As a service professional I've read TB's in Puro and wix catalogs, but never seen a word about dangers of dents.

I'm don't know about you folks, but I tighten the orange cans (or any filter) 3/4 of a turn per the instructions, and I've NEVER been able to remove them by hand.

Maybe the orange cans hold on for dear life!
wink.gif

I tighten filters by hand, and while I can get them off with my hands, I usually use a rubber strap wrench to losen them. I see no reason to exercise unnecessarily.

And if you don't happen to have a rubber strap wrench to use on a stubborn filter you can always impale it with a screwdriver and back it off that way, but it's kind of messy.
thumbsdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back