Restoring paint...is this helping or hurting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall the paint on my Accord is in decent shape. However, on the rear driver side door the upper portion of the door (right below the window above the character line) looks to be "fading", or "hazy". A good way to describe it is when you look at your reflection in the paint, you can see yourself pretty clear, but when you look at yourself over this section, its hazier. So, the question is, would it help, or hurt to use a polish of sorts (I would be using ZAINO swirl remover by hand). Would this help clear it out? Or would it take away more clear and make the issue worse? So far I have been keeping the car waxed on a regular basis, and using spray wax every other wash. Hoping this will help. Your input is appreciated!

Well, it depends on what's causing the haze. It;s unusual for one section like that on a panel to respond to weather that much differently than the immediate surrounding areas. My bet is that panel was repainted. No matter how good the repaint, it's never factory good unless it was show quality (doubtful) and the amount and evenness of the clear isn't the same. So, it ages differently. That's what you're probably seeing.

The rule of thumb with repairing paint issues/defects is to start of mild and then progress gradually to more aggressive. So, in this case, that would be to start with a good quality low abrasion wax, like Meguiars Ultimate, hand applied in a back and forth motion. Should that fail, then you could move to a swirl remover..hand applied the same way, then to a mild polish, etc. If you start out more aggressive, you risk making the problem worse, b/c you're taking off too much of what is probably not enough (and not well applied and cured) clear coat. At some point, be happy with "Improvement", not "Perfect", you're dealing with a effect that cannot possibly be fixed to factory good.

can you post the pictures? and if the picture does not show the problem, then you should forget about it!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
can you post the pictures? and if the picture does not show the problem, then you should forget about it!

I am going to clean it tomorrow. It might be hard to capture the issue. In the direct sun you can see strange streak marks and it looks blotchy and hazy, it the shade, it still looks a little hazy but not as bad.

I ended up using a cotton pad and hand buffed it with Zaino AIO (all in one). Turns out it took some of the haze away. Happy with the results, they arent perfect, but its better than it was before. Topped everything off with Turtle Wax Ice Liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back