cold weather = feeling lousy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions for a problem I have been having for several years. Simply put if the weather gets down to around 50 or colder I feel terrible. Low energy and very low motivation. It happens within a day so I don't think it is SAD. It happens here in SC just as it happened in Ohio where I lived my entire life until the past year and a half.

I suspect it might involve sleep because it happens overnight. I usually sleep well and use "breathe right" nose strips to reduce snoring. I have tried using a humidifier even though it doesn't actually get dry here.

My google searches keeping saying its SAD so I am a little lost on this.

I'm pretty even keeled and start feeling a little bit melancholy myself around this time of the year. I know I have a breathing problems that don't let me get the best sleep. If I had med insurance I would address it.
I was thinking of getting one of those wake up lights to help in the morning for getting up in the dark.

Good luck and hope you find something that helps.

If you do not work out at least 5 to 6 days a week it's a good place to start.

Anyone who is having problems breathing while sleeping should have a sleep study done. I turned my life around by being diagnosed and getting help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Anyone who is having problems breathing while sleeping should have a sleep study done. I turned my life around by being diagnosed and getting help.

+1, same with me. After sleeping 8, 10 hours or more I would still be exhausted. Not all the time, but more and more frequently.

Diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, after getting cpap machine I wake refreshed, every day.

So I had a sleep study earlier in the year. Had low energy all the time, and would be tired when waking up.

Turned out to be two things.

First was low testosterone, which is weird because I am 32 years old. Got on a script for that.

Second was obstructive sleep apnea. Had a sleep study done, and was snoring loudly, and stopping breathing effectively dozens of times per night.

Got on a resmed apnea machine, and have felt great since. Needed to try a few different masks and a few different pressures to get it right, but I feel great.

The resmed machine is silent, and it has a automatic humidifier in the machine, that humidifies the air that you breathe perfectly.

I use about 8 ounces of distilled water per night.

Third thing that worked for me was moving to Texas from Buffalo, NY.

Nice sunny days make me feel great, and I get to get out and walk or jog all over the Texas Hill Country.

I actually look forward to a nice grey rainy day because it just does not happen here.

I have a neurologist i went to for several months in the past.

Diagnosed me with delayed sleep phase. Its a long process to explain but I have a very hard time sleeping and can't really fall asleep unless I'm tired. Iv went well past 36-48 hours straight and simple been fairly wide awake.

Doctor gave me a range of pills to try and none seem to work. The women was fairly speechless. She had me doing this light therapy ... Bright lights in the morning and 2-3 hours of dark bordem before I feel asleep. But I never know when I fall asleep so.. Tried countless times to "just lay there till I fall asleep" but after 3-4 hours it gets old. Iv never been the type who falls asleep easily.

I stopped going after she suggested I try benzo's and wanted nothing to do with them.

Heck iv been up for over 36 hours and still trying to fall asleep.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
So I had a sleep study earlier in the year. Had low energy all the time, and would be tired when waking up.

Turned out to be two things.

First was low testosterone, which is weird because I am 32 years old. Got on a script for that.

Second was obstructive sleep apnea. Had a sleep study done, and was snoring loudly, and stopping breathing effectively dozens of times per night.

Got on a resmed apnea machine, and have felt great since. Needed to try a few different masks and a few different pressures to get it right, but I feel great.

The resmed machine is silent, and it has a automatic humidifier in the machine, that humidifies the air that you breathe perfectly.

I use about 8 ounces of distilled water per night.

Third thing that worked for me was moving to Texas from Buffalo, NY.

Nice sunny days make me feel great, and I get to get out and walk or jog all over the Texas Hill Country.

I actually look forward to a nice grey rainy day because it just does not happen here.

Check with your doc, sometimes low T can be caused, in part, by sleep apnea. You may only have the apnea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back