2008 BMW335i - Motul Xcess 8100 - 11,785 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil analysis on the 'long' BMW OCI, (it was 1 year) looks pretty ok.

Code:

OIL Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W/40

MILES IN USE 11,785k

MILES 68,241k

SAMPLE TAKEN 08/15/2014

MAKE UP OIL ADDED 1 QT

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 24

COPPER 20

LEAD 0

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 9

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 13

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 38

SILICON 6

SODIUM 7

CALCIUM 2740

MAGNESIUM 17

PHOSPHORUS 898

ZINC 1115

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 62.7

cSt @ 212ºF 10.98

FLASHPOINT ºF 395

FUEL
ANTIFREEZE 0.0

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

TBN 2.9

Blackstone Comments: This is a pretty good first report for your 335. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this

type of engine after about 6,000 miles on the oil. You went almost twice that long, yet wear metals are still

within range of universal averages. Copper could maybe be bit lower here, but that's just being nitpicky,

because this is a nice engine overall. The viscosity is a little thin for 5W/40, but that didn't hurt anything. The

TBN is 2.9 showing active additive left for a longer run. 1.0 or less is considered low. Try 14,000 miles on

the next oil.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Yes it does! What was your OLM at the time of the change?

OCM said I had 4k miles left.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thinned out to a 30-grade, but other than that, seems fine.

It was thinned, not sure if our hot as the sun summer had anything to do with that.

Originally Posted By: strongmad
not sure if our hot as the sun summer had anything to do with that.

Doubt it. Some oils are just less shear stable than others. And some engines are harder on oil than others.

The turbo works an Oil hard. I wouldn't worry about it being a 30 wt. I would just keep it topped up and follow the OLM / OCM. Also use the BMW approved oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I do not see anything wrong with this oil after 11K.
Also, how much you drive in the city in %?

Driving is around 70/30 highway/city.

I do not see anything wrong with this oil after 11K.
Also, how much you drive in the city in %?

Driving is around 70/30 highway/city.

Probably that is why it held so good.

Bravo! Thanks so much for posting - - and having the courage to take your bimmer all the way to the "insane" oem recommended oci.

I'm bookmarking your uoa and am going to have it bronzed so I can post it on all the forthcoming threads on various BMW forums that foretell of the horrible deaths that will surely follow for all who dare to do BMW's recommended oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Bravo! Thanks so much for posting - - and having the courage to take your bimmer all the way to the "insane" oem recommended oci.

I'm bookmarking your uoa and am going to have it bronzed so I can post it on all the forthcoming threads on various BMW forums that foretell of the horrible deaths that will surely follow for all who dare to do BMW's recommended oci.

Right, I wish I knew about oil analysis earlier, I would have done it for every change during the life of the car. Alas, I have to wait a year before I can get a second data point and hopefully I can see a repeat of this data.

I plan on doing an analysis for every oil change on the wife's new Jeep.

I dare not post this to any of the BMW forums, for fear that the reaction would break the internet.

What I would wonder about this is what would BMW say about the viscosity? Do they have a viscosity number at which they would condemn the oil?

Additionally, many disagree with Blackstone's idea of taking TBN down to 1.0.

To my knowledge, oem's don't publish their condemnation limits (wish they did).

I think BMW would say the vis is perfectly fine. BMW's service fill for the 335 is BMW High Performance Syn 5w30, an oil almost surely made by BMW's lube partner Castrol. I did a Polaris voa on it about a year ago and out of the bottle the vis at 100 C is/was 11.7. So I think BMW would say the vis on strongmad's BMW is well within their operational parameters. I think it would be ok even if were down in the low 10's. The fresh vis on the Motul 5w40 is probably just a hair over the line into 40 wt territory, as I think most grp III or IV 5w40's are, and most probably shear back to 30 wts rather quickly.

TBN is good too, IMHO.

OP. Bravo for waiting until 50k miles! It's nice to see a UOA on a mature engine. I get so tired of seeing UOA's on young engines which are still wearing in.

Right, I wish I knew about oil analysis earlier, I would have done it for every change during the life of the car. Alas, I have to wait a year before I can get a second data point and hopefully I can see a repeat of this data.

I dare not post this to any of the BMW forums, for fear that the reaction would break the internet.

I wonder how M1 0W40 would do.
From what I saw M1 stays within the grade and keeps flash point better then Motul
On TBN I am not so sure.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
OP. Bravo for waiting until 50k miles! It's nice to see a UOA on a mature engine. I get so tired of seeing UOA's on young engines which are still wearing in.

I would have been doing UOA all along, but I just found about it. I'll continue doing it, especially since I only change oil once a year now.

Last edited:

From what I saw M1 stays within the grade and keeps flash point better then Motul
On TBN I am not so sure.

Is M1 an ester based oil? That is one of the reasons I chose Motul over M1. Time for more reading now.

On TBN I am not so sure.

Is M1 an ester based oil? That is one of the reasons I chose Motul over M1. Time for more reading now.

M1 is not Ester based, it is mostly Group III, and combination of PAO and Ester.
However, as far as I know, Motul is not Ester based, it is PAO based.
The pour point is too high for Ester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back