Should I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so at my previous oil change (3months ago) for my Toyota the oil filter was hand tight (or 2/3 of a turn after it meets the mounting surface etc) and there would be very minor leaks coming from the filter. I had it as handtight as possible and this kept on happening after removing and refitting the filter multiple times.

I decided to use my filter removal wrench and tighten the filter.Looks exactly like this:
0001665_adjustable-3-prong-oil-filter-wrench_300.jpeg

Hooray! the leaks stopped.
But now the problem is that the "prongs" on the filter wrench have caused slight indentations on the filter. The filter has been fine ever since and have not had any problems with oil pressure or leaks etc. should I change it before my next oil change? At my current mileage I should be getting oil+filter done in around 2 months time so should I just leave it until then...

Last edited:
Well IMHO, replace the filter!
smirk.gif

This is what I'd do as there is a reason it's leaking/dripping!

I don't know, it's up to you! I also don't know how things are handled in your area!
smile.gif
Maybe you can get the filter manufacture or store where you bought the filter to, replace the filter under their "MFG. DEFECT" warranty!

If you have your store receipt, I'd call the store and ask for their help..."What can I do?" ask them!

Last edited:
Well replacing the filter is only a matter of a few dollars. I'm just wondering if theres a need for that considering it's going to be replaced in 2 months time anyway.

I have had the same problem with K&N oil filter and I was Fedex'd a new one absolutely no questions asked.
However, with this filter that I purchased at the local autoparts store I've kinda "Damaged" it by denting it with the filter remover hence voiding the warranty.

I'm leaning towards replacing it.. Why risk a few thousand dollar engine replacement over $10~ Oil Filter.

Grab an SCA filter for only a couple of bucks and replace it.

Matter of fact, use SCA as your normal filter, they are constructed OK, and good price.

The actual SCA Brand? or Ryco? My local SCA has like 10 ryco filters for every SCA branded filter..

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Grab an SCA filter for only a couple of bucks and replace it.

Matter of fact, use SCA as your normal filter, they are constructed OK, and good price.

I was like "Where the [censored] is the cross reference chart for SCA brand filters"

Then I realised that it was just the Ryco Suffix... Z386=SCO386

Hand tight should be enough to seal the base gasket.
This filter either has a bad base gasket or it's a marginal fit to the mating surface.
It should never be necessary to tighten an oil filter with any tool.
I'd replace it and then just leave it on when you change the oil, or change oil and filter now since you were going to do so in a couple of months anyway.

Use DENSO oil filters and you won't have a problem. Turn the filter 3/4 turn after gasket contacts machined boss. Get a good cap filter wrench with 1/2" drive. The type you have is only good for removing a filter. The OEM filters are made by Denso so they should also be satisfactory. Both brands have a feature that prevents overtightening. Regards

Correct, for the Matrix the Toyota branded filters say denso on them.

So do many of the other parts for this vehicle.

My trick for years was to get the old filter off, put the new one on and wipe everything 100 percent clean.

Tighten it by hand, then snug it up a little more with your hand with a piece of gritty sandpaper in it.

That will give you enough grip to make the factory correct 3/4 turn.

Also lube the new gasket of the oil filter with a bit of used motor oil and your finger.

Make sure that the mating surface of the oil filter housing is clean, and that the old gasket did not stick to it.

Also remember new crush gaskets for the drain plug for your specific application. Most imports use them. I like the fiber gaskets over the metal ones for some reason. They are one time use only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back