How important is the FIAT 9.55535-S2 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i'm a new in all this oil world. So sorry if the question is a bit dumb.

My car (Alfa Romeo MiTo petrol) its almost due for an oil change, no longer in warranty and I want to do oil change myself.

I'm having a hard time finding an oil with that specification (FIAT 9.55535-S2) here in Costa Rica, I have found 2 brands that has the ACEA C3 certification, but they differ a lot in price, and does not have the FIAT spec.

- Castrol Edge 5W40 FST Titanium ~$30 per liter
- Akron Spitzen 5w40 $10 per liter

I haven't heard much about this Mexican oil (Akron) but the price makes it really attractive. I just don't know about the quality, if the certifications are really important.

Could I trust an oil just on certifications?
It has certification for Mercedes, Porshe and VW just not the FIAT one.. is that really important? or I could ignore since it's still under the ACEA C3 specification that Alfa Romeo recommends? (I haven't found any Selenia here in Costa Rica)

Here are the technical data on the Akron Oil for those interested.

And this is the one for Castrol Edge (PDF)

Looks like the oil you listed is good,

dont know much about the brand

their ad is faintly amusing

akronoil.JPG

Oh and I just moved from akron, ohio (now nearby)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No problem at all using the Akron. It meets plenty of tough specs like LL04, VW 502. 00 / 505.00, MB 229.51, sounds like a pretty solid oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Spanglish at its best.
smile.gif

LOL.. Seriously la verdad.

Please don't use the Akron, avoid it like the plague, that is just some bad oil. They just put every spec they could find in the same data sheet. There is no way an oil could comply with ACEA A5/B5 and A3/B4.

It will be better to use Castrol.

Totally agree with the post by Darwin above.

The Akron oil can not match all those specs.

A fuel economy oil A1/A5 has a different HTHS requirement to A3/C3.

Castrol all the way.

Your engine is worth more than a few $ saved with oil.

Amazing that people give advice on here without actually.knowing what they are giving advice on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It might still be an Okay oil, they just went too far with the specs? Maybe it's just an average API SM oil.

Why not just retract your earlier advice.

Why trust anything they say.

Just went too far with the specs?

An oil company that doesn't know that A1/A5 doesn't match A3/C3?

Seriously!

They are either blatantly dishonest or so incompetent as to not be trusted.

Imho they are selling a substandard product with false specs to ckn the unwary or those who may not know the difference between the oil specs.

Per mile oil costs almost nothing.

I advise the OP to go for Castrol/Mobil etc.

Perhaps try ordering from an online retailer that is willing to ship.

Last edited:
These automakers should go after people that falsely use their specifications. It is misleading for sure.

Glad i don't have to drive far to find a handful of reputable choices.

I think you should stick to well known oil brands that has a good reputation all around the world.

Please dont put that nasty mexican skunk pi.ss in your engine...

Do you guys get low sulphur petrol down there? ACEA C3 oil is designed for European low sulphur fuels,both petrol and diesel.If only petrol you get there is high in sulphur content you really should use A3 spec oil in your car. And yes use only better brands oil either way, Alfa is expensive engine to fix.
Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
They just put every spec they could find in the same data sheet. There is no way an oil could comply with ACEA A5/B5 and A3/B4.

Based on the image the that OP posted, they've got various footnotes listed next to those ACEA specs, and we don't know what they are. I'm guessing they may be meeting some of the ACEA requirements, but not all.

With that said, that particular Akron oil is on the official MB 229.51 list, and that is probably one of the most stringent mfg oil spec out there.

thats a nice catch, I'm not sure why they arent being sued since they say its certified by

and list manufacturer specs,

although their ad does have this on it

Performance superior to that of mineral oils: up to 6250 miles combined driving.

uh.. thats kinda short eh?

I'd listen to a local that has local knowledge of the company

if their webpage is all fantasy.. none of us would know.

Farther review shows their PDS

a pour point of only -22f,

Paranic Base Oils--------------------------75.0 82.0 64742-54-7
Additives ------------------------------ 18.0 - 25.0 Mix

Seems like trash oil they falsely placed specs on..

I'd avoid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
thats a nice catch, I'm not sure why they arent being sued since they say its certified by

and list manufacturer specs,

although their ad does have this on it

Performance superior to that of mineral oils: up to 6250 miles combined driving.

uh.. thats kinda short eh?

I'd listen to a local that has local knowledge of the company

if their webpage is all fantasy.. none of us would know.

Farther review shows their PDS

a pour point of only -22f,

Paranic Base Oils--------------------------75.0 82.0 64742-54-7
Additives ------------------------------ 18.0 - 25.0 Mix

Seems like trash oil they falsely placed specs on..

I'd avoid.

Yeah, I agree. Some wild specification on that oil. Best avoided IMO.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...amp;suchbegriff

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

With that said, that particular Akron oil is on the official MB 229.51 list, and that is probably one of the most stringent mfg oil spec out there.

This is also why I thought it might be a decent oil. LINK ABOVE.

Even the low end manufacturers have some version of oil that meet 229.51 specification, but beside that this may not be spec that his car needs. It could easily be dealer or FIAT mistake. In US Fiats and Abarths use full saps oils because of high sulphur content in petrol. Something is telling me that situation is the same in Costa Rica.

Oh, wow, ok, I will continue investigating, and looking to where I could get the Castrol here or any other that might have the cert and from a reputable brand.
In the other hand I don't know about the amount of sulfur in the petrol that it's available here, might have to investigate that too.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back