Grease mixing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last post answered my questions about moly and wheel bearings and I bought the appropriate grease.

But I have another question. What happens when a moly and a non moly grease mix. Will it hurt anything, will they separate and fight each other or ?

What happens when a calcium sulfonate mixes with a lithium complex or lithium and aluminum or aluminum and calcium? Do bad things happen or is just not preferred?

I apologize for the newbie questions but I've searched and only found discussions but no real answers.

Thank you all again very much for all the help.
Will

But what happens when they aren't compatible. Those are great and I actually printed one out but im curious as to what happens when they aren't compatible.

And I don't believe the chart talks about moly/non moly.

I'll do some more searching as well.

Edit: the chart Trav posted does talk about what happens.

Thanks again for all the help
Will

Last edited:
Flush the hub and the bearings and repack with a wheel bearing grease from one of the major manufacturers like Mobil,Texaco et. al..I stay away from the off brand greases. You never know what you are getting in the way of quality. Some of the soaps used to make grease are incompatible and can produce corrosive products if mixed. I was around lubricants for many years in power generation and attended my share of lubrication seminars put on by the Conoco, EPRI and FOMIS. They all stressed not mixing greases.

Joe, I agree..

I was just wondering what happened when mixed. Just for the sake of knowing.

Thanks again for all the help.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back