Tallahassee 's finest

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should not be taken as I support or do not support the actions of either party in this incident, but it's pretty hard to be respectful in an environment like the one seen on the video. I'm inclined to believe that no amount of respect from the responding officer(s) would have changed the outcome. Hood rats of all ages/races will always be hood rats.

Well, I live in the hood. Last time I was helping ensure the "hood rats" were not going to kill another person when the cops finally arrived they stayed in their cars as the pack left. Then they yelled at me for not staying away and being a good witness. Not said, yelled. I never raised my voice. The officer referred to the people as "animals being raised as animals." Now I ask you, can you effectively police people you believe to be animals? Can you respect them? For every jerk in the hood, I can give you 100 great people. To treat them all like that is inexcusable.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
For every jerk in the hood, I can give you 100 great people. To treat them all like that is inexcusable.

ref
I spent a year in Newark, New Jersey.
For every good person in that infested hole, I can give you 100 scumbags. To treat them all like good persons is inexcusable.

The police don't make the rules of engagement - the people do, for both the police AND the public, through their duly elected legislatures and judicial officers.

These shock videos are mostly meaningless without full knowledge of the facts, and the applicable law and rules of criminal procedure in the state.

That said, it's good that they exist. Misconduct that would previously be gotten away with, is becoming more difficult to evade. The place to sort out whether or not an order is "lawful" or an arrest is illegal, is a courtroom, where people who actually know the law are found.

It should never be illegal to record public servants in the course of their official duties.

Originally Posted By: Win
The place to sort out whether or not an order is "lawful" or an arrest is illegal, is a courtroom, where people who actually know the law are found.

I agree 100 percent. Trying to argue laws and regulations to a cop will likey only make things worse. Too many people forget that little fact.

Last edited:

It should never be illegal to record public servants in the course of their official duties.

Completely agreed without reservation.

I like the 'body cams' many agencies use. If they are truly being transparent about their operation then the camera is their friend and will only serve to help lock up their "arrestee"...

Originally Posted By: refaller
Well, I live in the hood. Last time I was helping ensure the "hood rats" were not going to kill another person when the cops finally arrived they stayed in their cars as the pack left. Then they yelled at me for not staying away and being a good witness. Not said, yelled. I never raised my voice. The officer referred to the people as "animals being raised as animals." Now I ask you, can you effectively police people you believe to be animals? Can you respect them? For every jerk in the hood, I can give you 100 great people. To treat them all like that is inexcusable.

ref

They're not animals,they're roaches. And that's putting down and insulting roaches (as I apologize to cockroaches for insulting them and comparing them to the trash that's in that video).

I still haven't seen anyone claim how the now suspended policeman's actions fall within the guidelines drawn up by "police chiefs, medical experts, use-of-force experts, industry representatives"

http://www.policeone.com/police-products...ime-since-2005/

Quote:
22. A warning should be given to a subject prior to activating the ECW unless doing so would place any person at risk. Warnings may be in the form of verbalization, display, laser painting, arcing, or a combination of these tactics.

23. When feasible, an announcement should be made to other personnel on the scene that an ECW is going to be activated.

25. ECWs should be used only against subjects who are exhibiting active aggression or who are actively resisting in a manner that, in the officer’s judgment, is likely to result in injuries to themselves or others. ECWs should not be used against a passive subject.

26. Fleeing should not be the sole justification for using an ECW against a subject. Personnel should consider the severity of the offense, the subject’s threat level to others, and the risk of serious injury to the subject before deciding to use an ECW on a fleeing subject.

27. ECWs should not generally be used against pregnant women, elderly persons, young children, and visibly frail persons. Personnel should evaluate whether the use of the ECW is reasonable, based upon all circumstances, including the subject’s age and physical condition. In some cases, other control techniques may be more appropriate as determined by the subject’s threat level to others.

The Civilian Code of Conduct intimates that when a Police Officer is on the scene, the Civilian must do whatever is necessary to make the Officer feel safe and secure. That will specifically exclude any sudden movements, furtive gestures, hollering, lying, swinging arms around, obstructing, and fighting with the police.

A policeman lays his life on the line every day to protect and serve the public interest. When engaged by a police officer, it is incumbent upon the civilian to put the police officer at ease. Once that happens, everything generally goes well. Courtesy and professionalism goes both ways.

^ Can you link us to this "Civilian Code of Conduct"?

Such an important rule on the conduct of US citizens in the US must be all over the place and easy to find.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Completely agreed without reservation.

I like the 'body cams' many agencies use. If they are truly being transparent about their operation then the camera is their friend and will only serve to help lock up their "arrestee"...

But there is a REASON that cops react to cameras like cockroaches react to floodlights...

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The Civilian Code of Conduct intimates that when a Police Officer is on the scene, the Civilian must do whatever is necessary to make the Officer feel safe and secure. That will specifically exclude any sudden movements, furtive gestures, hollering, lying, swinging arms around, obstructing, and fighting with the police.

A policeman lays his life on the line every day to protect and serve the public interest. When engaged by a police officer, it is incumbent upon the civilian to put the police officer at ease. Once that happens, everything generally goes well. Courtesy and professionalism goes both ways.

Great post.

You certainly don't have to be a brain surgeon to realize that this may make things easier for you AND the LEO...

What it really come down to is that you always cooperate with the Police, whether or not you've done something wrong. This makes things easier for everyone. I can't help but laugh at these people who refuse to cooperate with the police because they have "done nothing wrong" and end up going to jail unnecessarily.

Several years ago I was riding with a friend in his car when we were pulled over. Suddenly there were several officers there with their guns drawn. They ordered us out of the car at gunpoint and handcuffed us. We had no idea what was going on, because we had done nothing wrong. Turned out that the car was coming back as a stolen. My friend politely explained to them this was impossible because he just purchased the car from a dealer. At this point they aren't exactly buying it because they hear excuses like this every day. They made a few phone calls and eventually determined that the car had previously been a repo and the owner had reported it stolen. Neither the repo company or the bank had reported to the police that the car was a repo, so it was still showing as a stolen vehicle. Once they determined that the car was not really stolen, we were free to go. They didn't have to do this. They could have towed the car, hauled us to jail, and let the courts figure it out. Because we were polite and cooperative, they decided to look into it themselves and were able to determine that we really hadn't done anything wrong. If we gave them an attitude and were uncooperative because we had "done nothing wrong" we would have gone to jail. Instead, we were simply inconvenienced for about 20 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
^ Can you link us to this "Civilian Code of Conduct"?

Such an important rule on the conduct of US citizens in the US must be all over the place and easy to find.
Not everyone was happy with the American Revolution. Less than 50% supported it. Some folks liked being subservient to the Crown. Those folks are showing up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back