Vettel to leave Red Bull at end of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/177733.html

Sebastian Vettel will leave Red Bull at the end of the season and the team has confirmed it will promote Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat to race alongside Daniel Ricciardo in 2015.

The news comes as Fernando Alonso is lining up an exit from Ferrari, blowing the driver market wide open.

More to follow...

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/177733.html#i1GlKO5a5RSLZMWb.99

Statement from RBR
http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/article/new-team-driver-line-2015

Alsonso was hinting about leaving Ferrari for McHonda. I guess he posted a pic on Twitter in front of a few of the older McHonda cars.

There's a lot of changes happening at RB, might as well make it complete. Ferrari may very well be poised for another rise to the top rung in the constructor's championship.

I assume Button will be out at McHonda...

Originally Posted By: splinter
Can't say I fault him...he'd become rather accustomed to runnin' up front!

It's not like he'll be running up front in a Ferrari.

Originally Posted By: whip

Entirely possible, of course. But that's why the queue 'em up on Sundays and have a go.

Getting consistently outpaced by Daniel Ricciardo perhaps hastened his exit strategy, too.

Vettel should stay at RBR and fight back against Ricciardo. Where is he going to go to get a car that's better than Red Bull? Adrian Newey is no dummy, and the chassis will get better. The powertrain freeze hasn't happened yet, and Renault will get more power. Ricciardo has won races in the current car, so it is fairly competitive. If Vettel leaves now, then struggles in another car next season, people will think that he was only good in cars with blown diffusers.

Looks like the Ferrari is doing OK.

Originally Posted By: Hermann

Looks like the Ferrari is doing OK.

I'm shocked at how quickly Ferrari turned it around. The team was a mess, and I figured it would take a few seasons to get it right.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Vettel should stay at RBR and fight back against Ricciardo. Where is he going to go to get a car that's better than Red Bull?

They said the same thing about Hamilton when he left McLaren for Mercedes. It turned out to be the smartest move of his career. Look at McLaren now. They'll be lucky to get that dog with fleas in the points, let alone on the podium this year. Red Bull's dominance in F-1 is over. Even Vettel admitted to that with his now famous, "We must enjoy these days because they won't last forever", comment. Today they are much like Ferrari's was after Schumacher departed. They are going to go through a lengthy rebuilding process. I doubt that will happen as long as they are in bed with Renault. They hate each other. Everything has to click in perfect working order on a championship F-1 team. Red Bull had it with Vettel and Newey, just like Schumacher did with Ross Brawn. But these marriages don't live on forever. That's why championship F-1 drivers are always looking for the next winning team. Ricciardo joined Red Bull too late, much like Alonso did with McLaren. While Vettel, Schumacher, and Hamilton timed their departures perfectly.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Nyati
Schumacher didn't "time" his departure- he was shown the door.

From which team?

Ferrari and Mercedes. You could tell he didn't want to leave Ferrari when he gave his speech at the last race that season.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Vettel should stay at RBR and fight back against Ricciardo. Where is he going to go to get a car that's better than Red Bull?

They said the same thing about Hamilton when he left McLaren for Mercedes. It turned out to be the smartest move of his career. Look at McLaren now. They'll be lucky to get that dog with fleas in the points, let alone on the podium this year. Red Bull's dominance in F-1 is over. Even Vettel admitted to that with his now famous, "We must enjoy these days because they won't last forever", comment. Today they are much like Ferrari's was after Schumacher departed. They are going to go through a lengthy rebuilding process. I doubt that will happen as long as they are in bed with Renault. They hate each other. Everything has to click in perfect working order on a championship F-1 team. Red Bull had it with Vettel and Newey, just like Schumacher did with Ross Brawn. But these marriages don't live on forever. That's why championship F-1 drivers are always looking for the next winning team. Ricciardo joined Red Bull too late, much like Alonso did with McLaren. While Vettel, Schumacher, and Hamilton timed their departures perfectly.

Yep, I just have to laugh at how bad my advice to Vettel would have been if he had asked me! Red Bull looks to be in even worse shape now than Ferrari was a year ago. I think I was remembering too much how long it took Ferrari to become dominant after Schumacher and Brawn teamed up. It took a few years, but Vettel and Arrivebene have only been together for a few months. (Not to say that Ferrari is now going to be dominant, but they can at least make it a race.)

I was also interested when Hamilton left McLaren to see if he would be able to work at a different team. Prior to joining Mercedes, he had only been in McLaren, all the way from Karts through the lower Formulas. But he adapted very well.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ferrari and Mercedes. You could tell he didn't want to leave Ferrari when he gave his speech at the last race that season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher

"While Schumacher was on the podium after winning the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari issued a press release stating that he would retire from racing at the end of the 2006 season. Schumacher confirmed his retirement. The press release stated that Schumacher would continue working for Ferrari."

"Schumacher's indecision over his future plans in F1 led to him being replaced by Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes for the 2013 season. In October 2012, Schumacher announced he would retire for a second time at the conclusion of the season."

He wasn't "shown the door" at either Ferrari or Mercedes. His wife desperately wanted him out of racing after the 2006 season. So much so it was rumored if he didn't quit, she was going to divorce him. It was much the same for Montoya who's wife prompted him to quit McLaren Mercedes in mid season to drive in ARCA. Schumacher himself stated in several interviews he was ready to call it a career. He remained on at Ferrari as one of the highest paid consultants in that teams history.

At Mercedes both he and the car didn't perform as he had expected, and his indecision on continuing or not prompted them to chase Hamilton. The ride was his if he had told them he wanted it. He obviously did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back