before and after (hood pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the Ford dealer could have ordered you the correct hood with the same OEM paint code. OEM is better of course, but if you take care of this one, I am sure youll be fine. Keep it waxed too!

Maybe dealers don't work that way? I have no idea..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would think the Ford dealer could have ordered you the correct hood with the same OEM paint code. OEM is better of course, but if you take care of this one, I am sure youll be fine. Keep it waxed too!

You are correct, dealers don't work that way. Sheetmetal body parts don't come pre-painted, too much damage would occur in transit, among other things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+

You're never going to get the "factory baked" clear on there again...nothing is going to be as good as OEM...

As I noted in the other thread, my body shop has a bake booth. They are the only one I've ever seen that does. And because of that (and their workmanship) there is no comparing the work I have had done there to anywhere else I've dealt with. It isn't even close.

What's so great about OEM paint? Most body shop guys I've talked to say OEM paint is the cheapest stuff they can use, and they use as few coats as they can get away with...the body shops usually use more coats of both the color and the clear, and they use better quality paints, so unless something in the process isn't done correctly, I don't see why an aftermarket paint job wouldn't outlast an OEM paint job...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I agree with Critic. Collision repaired paint job is vastly inferior to OEM.

My 12 year old paint on my 13 year old Dakota front end disagrees with you.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Most of the time, a respray is not as good as the original finish. A repair blended into the paintwork could fade a different shade after years of sun exposure, giving the car a two-toned look. eek.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Most of the time, a respray is not as good as the original finish. A repair blended into the paintwork could fade a different shade after years of sun exposure, giving the car a two-toned look. eek.

Blends are a cheap Band-Aid, but a respray, if done correctly, should be better than the OEM finish...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Blends are a cheap Band-Aid, but a respray, if done correctly, should be better than the OEM finish...
+1 Most cars around me with a few years under its belt with original paint is either peeling or fading. Obviously OEM paint is garbage as well so there's no winning

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

You are correct, dealers don't work that way. Sheetmetal body parts don't come pre-painted, too much damage would occur in transit, among other things.

X2. The majority of body parts are paint to match with no option to order them painted. With large panels, this is pretty much always the case. Damage in transit is a huge problem, especially with large parts. It's almost impossible to get a roof panel that doesn't need some kind of work done to it.

With stuff like that, we can get credit on labor to repair the part unless it's just totally trashed.

Mitsubishi does sell some painted bumper covers depending on availability, but that's uncommon. Metal panels are always paint to match.

After market paint bake booth; this is only for panels which can be painted outside the vehicle, right? Or is the entire car baked?

After market paint bake booth; this is only for panels which can be painted outside the vehicle, right? Or is the entire car baked?
Entire car can be baked. My dad has done body work for 27 years

I have seen a lot of bad paintwork, but I have also seen good aftermarket paintwork. In our area, almost any CPO BMW has had the front bumper and hood repainted as part of the CPO process. Our local Acura dealer does the same thing.

In most cases I would prefer OE, but sometimes OE isn't very good. I returned my first Infiniti due to factory paint defects that were visible under Mercury vapor lights.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Unless something has changed, factory ovens are around 350F while aftermarket are around 140F. Some claim that the higher temps produce a more rugged finish.

Some claim that aftermarket baking can improve final finish quality while others contend that with today's sophisticated aftermarket paints, the only purpose of the oven is to speed up paint booth production. Just stuff I read on the net.

Only time will tell. I imagine it varies a lot by region.

Well rammer as you see can be tough crowd to please at times, but it looks good to me. And bottom line, as long as 'you' are happy and satisfied with the job, that's all that matters here imo.

And refreshing to read for a change someone actually satisfied with a vehicle manufacturer decision and stealer service.

Enjoy your new ride.

Definitely I am actually currently trying to get a job as a tech there. It's a good dealer good people

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+

You're never going to get the "factory baked" clear on there again...nothing is going to be as good as OEM...

Agreed!

The overwhelming majority of body shops do a [censored] job, and even the few that do excellent work don't have the high level oven to provide a long lasting durable finish.

I would say less than 5% of body shops can provide a OEM level of work quality. 80% provide shoddy work and quality.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Agreed!

The overwhelming majority of body shops do a [censored] job, and even the few that do excellent work don't have the high level oven to provide a long lasting durable finish.

I would say less than 5% of body shops can provide a OEM level of work quality. 80% provide shoddy work and quality.

I would look at the general level of quality in each area before making hugely broad statements. I've used... I guess 5 different body shops for paint over the decades, only one did a poor job, and even they fixed it on the second try.

I generally run my vehicles into the ground, so it's not like I was satisfied and traded each in a year later, either.

Last edited:

In my case the entire car was baked, as the fender doesn't come off the car without cutting it.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Unless something has changed, factory ovens are around 350F while aftermarket are around 140F. Some claim that the higher temps produce a more rugged finish.

Some claim that aftermarket baking can improve final finish quality while others contend that with today's sophisticated aftermarket paints, the only purpose of the oven is to speed up paint booth production. Just stuff I read on the net.

Only time will tell. I imagine it varies a lot by region.

IME, the baking process makes the finish significantly harder; as hard as OEM. Which, at least on the M5, was something I desired as it has a very hard factory finish.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Agreed!

I would look at the general level of quality in each area before making hugely broad statements. I've used... I guess 5 different body shops for paint over the decades, only one did a poor job, and even they fixed it on the second try.

I generally run my vehicles into the ground, so it's not like I was satisfied and traded each in a year later, either.

I've seen paint work from what has to be a dozen different body shops. There is only one shop I've ever dealt with that has been able to 100% match not only the colour (viewed from any direction), texture (viewed from any direction) and finish hardness as what came on the vehicle and that is the shop I continue to deal with and that is a shop that has a dedicated oven for cooking the cars/parts.

I honestly don't know what temperature they cook the whole cars at vs cooking the panels but I DO know that the result of that process on top of whatever paint they use results in a finish that is indistinguishable from what came on the vehicle. They also lifetime warranty (as long as you own the vehicle) their work. So far I've never needed to warranty anything I've ever had done there, which, when you offer a warranty of that calibre, I guess is to be expected.

I'll never have body work done anywhere else because I KNOW it would never be as good. I've got a few stories about that but this thread isn't the time and the place for that. It will suffice to say that I've had a job re-done from one of the most highly regarded shops in the area at this place and the finish quality and paint hardness weren't even comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back