Pocket Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you like pocket pistols? Do you own one? What do you have? Do you like it? What have you had in the past that you liked or disliked?

I have a Glock 36, which is fine for in the back of my waistband, but I'm thinking about a pocket pistol as another - and maybe my primary - option.

I like the convenience...I always carry my iPhone in my left pocket, and usually only my keys in my right pocket. So, a pocket pistol would be perfect for my right pocket...especially in the summer when I'm wearing shorts a lot. (I can carry my keys on a carabiner from a belt loop.)

I also like the "instant draw" capability of a pocket pistol. I can have my hands unassumingly in my pockets, and, God forbid, if the need arises, I can almost instantly draw and fire.

Here are some pocket pistols that have been on my mind. I've pretty much decided to go with a 9mm, because I think it's a good compromise between power and weight. Some of you may not mind something heavier:

- Kahr PM9/CM9

- Kimber Solo

- Sig P938

- Diamondback (don't know anything about this one; just saw the dimensions and it's very compact)

I didn't include S&W or Ruger above because I've heard that the Smiths have some issues. And I've just never been a fan of Ruger automatics. Please chime in if any of you have experience with them, and if you know of other good pocket guns.

The Kimber is ammo picky and expensive, the diamondbacks have mixed reviews. I am not a fan of sigs since they started making them in the USA. They just don't have the quality of their German brethren IMHO. Kahrs are good and from your list would be the one I would pick.

Honestly the S&W Shield would be my pick for a polymer single stack ultra compact.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Kimber is ammo picky and expensive, the diamondbacks have mixed reviews. I am not a fan of sigs since they started making them in the USA. They just don't have the quality of their German brethren IMHO. Kahrs are good and from your list would be the one I would pick.

Honestly the S&W Shield would be my pick for a polymer single stack ultra compact.

Yeah, I gotta say, if I had to buy one today, it would be the Kahr PM9 or CM9.

I like the Kahr PM9 but my all-around, don't-care-what-happens-to-it, and one that I carry the most around the yard/garage is a Keltec P3AT.

I have an lcp. its really small. If you truly pocket carry, make sure you have nothing and i mean nothing else on your pockets that could get caught in the trigger!!

I also have the M+P sheild, not really a pocket carry but very concealable with a good holster. I have an N82 holster and its great.

Last edited:
My go-to though is the P3AT....I carry it most often and don't worry about it. Surprisingly, for the abuse it's taken, it still looks pretty good and functioning is FLAWLESS. Seriously, it's been rained/snowed on, laid on, dropped, used as a hammer (not really), and just generally treated very badly but it always works to perfection.

I did clean it....once.....about a year or so ago. Occasionally I'll blow it out with compressed air and it gets fired pretty much weekly for two or three rounds....all Blazer Brass FMJ.

Last edited:
My main pocket carry gun is the LCP, and I'm not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos either. It's just so easy to carry, I use a 'Nemesis' pocket holster. The LCP is sorta a minimalist gun, but better than nothing. The smaller Kahr is another popular choice.

I go a bit larger when the conditions allow.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
My main pocket carry gun is the LCP, and I'm not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos either. It's just so easy to carry, I use a 'Nemesis' pocket holster. The LCP is sorta a minimalist gun, but better than nothing. The smaller Kahr is another popular choice.

I go a bit larger when the conditions allow.

Thats exactly why i bought the shield , for when i don't have to carry a minimalist gun, when i do , the lcp is small.

Pocket carry is pretty much my only option for CCW, so I have quite a few pocket guns, but none of the ones you mention.

Typically, I carry a .32 PPK. I also have a .380 PPK, but I think the .32 guns shoot better. I like the relatively long sight radius of the PPK's, the heavy DA trigger that makes an unintended discharge virtually impossible, and, like the Hi Power, or 1911, it's just a classic gentleman's gun that works well.

Occasionally, I will carry an LCR or a Sig 238. If it's summer, and I'm wearing shorts, then a Tomcat or .22 Bobcat is more likely to be in my pocket.

Originally Posted By: Win
Pocket carry is pretty much my only option for CCW, so I have quite a few pocket guns, but none of the ones you mention.

Just curious, why is pocket carry your only option? I have a friend that can only pocket carry because of a really bad back and anything on his waist hurts. But other than that...and maybe having to wear your shirt tucked, for me it seems like a compact gun in something like a Crossbreed tuck is always a do-able option.

I will say that at one time I had a baby browning 25acp when I first got into guns and did not know how worthless the 25aco was. That gun was truly a pocket pistol. Still wish I had it though, as it was a beautiful little gun.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Just curious, why is pocket carry your only option? I have a friend that can only pocket carry because of a really bad back and anything on his waist hurts. But other than that...and maybe having to wear your shirt tucked, for me it seems like a compact gun in something like a Crossbreed tuck is always a do-able option.

I'm a professional person and do not have my shirt untucked - ever.

I suppose I could use a shoulder holster under a coat, but they look awkward as heck.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

I'm a professional person and do not have my shirt untucked - ever.

I suppose I could use a shoulder holster under a coat, but they look awkward as heck.

With an N82 holster you can tuck your shirt.

Don't leave out small revolvers. Tiny autos are not a reliable as their larger counter parts. .380 performance is marginal too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back