1995 ls400 differential noise with video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background I have a vibration from 65mph and up
its worse when accelerating or decelerating
both wheels have a very small amount of play when pushed at 12 o clock
there is no howling as is described with other diff problems
you can see the sound coincides with the metal moving in and out.

It sounds/looks like the side bearing are shot.
This is a big job requiring some special tools and some real skills. I would also go with a good used unit on a car this vintage.
Replacing the unit is easy enough for the DIY at home and will probably be a whole lot cheaper.

Bearings are shot. I had a ford 8.8 rebuilt with all new bearings and install kit for ~$400 a few years ago. I took it to a local 4Wheelparts shop.

You need to spread the carrier housing slightly using a dial indicator and a special case tool to remove the snap rings. This one gets a little complicated.
I suggest looking at a FSM for the exact procedure so you can better judge if this is within your range of skills.
Be prepared for a full rebuild inc gear set which could have taken a beating with the carrier moving in the case.

It appears you need to remove the unit anyway so it wont hurt to open it up.
I can only speak for myself, i don't find it all that intimidating but i would sure like to see it done by someone with experience with it before diving in.

Edit: This carrier on this unit is not bolted into the housing and held by caps. That type is easy to do. This one is supported by the bearings outer race in the carrier housing itself with no caps.
Refereces to GM, Ford and other live axles are not applicable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
You need to spread the carrier housing slightly using a dial indicator and a special case tool to remove the snap rings. This one gets a little complicated.

This carrier on this unit is not bolted into the housing and held by caps.
That type is easy to do.
This one is supported by the bearings outer race in the carrier housing itself with no caps.
References to GM, Ford and other live axles are not applicable.

This video shows the guy dropping the diff on a similar lexus, the differential looks a little different where the axle connects, It would be nice to remove the diff without dropping the exhaust...? oh well.

So once I get to the point of dropping the diff how do you think i go about removing the axle shaft to get at the bearings?

In this pic...
410236.jpg

It looks like the side shaft on the diff is held in by the "41334D shaft snap?" if that is so do you think I could get at it by removing the rear cover?

also what is 41334C T:3.96, MARK 96 "washer plate" it seemed like there are 50 different sizes of this part

thanks

Getting it out isn't a big deal but getting those clips out needs a special spreader to spread the case no more than 0.008 as checked with a dial indicator to get the clips out, so they say in the instructions.
The 41334C is used to set backlash and comes in different thicknesses. I snagged this of Alldata, sorry its so small.
I should have a FSM for an LS400 somewhere on DVD, i will look around. I never did one of these but have done similar units, i would like to see one and see how its done, then it would be easy enough i think.

I would suspect more damage inside once you open it up, how much or how little is anyones guess.

Screenshot-ALLDATA.png

Screenshot-1.png

I took a leisurely ride last night with the wife in the Lexus (she thought we were just going for ice cream instead of a test run for noises...LOL) there is definitely no noise similar to this while moving. At slow speeds i can hear a faint high pitched squeak which I think is the wheel bearings.

The vibration at 70mph is still there, otherwise it is very quiet.

I'm thinking that when the wheels are off the ground the weight of them pulls the axles away from the differential and that pulling is allowing the bearing to move in a way to create this noise.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

I'm thinking that when the wheels are off the ground the weight of them pulls the axles away from the differential and that pulling is allowing the bearing to move in a way to create this noise.

Different loads on the bearing will increase of decrease noise thats true. When do plan on opening this up?
I can provide the write up and specs if you need them from the book and Alldata if you need them. I am interested in how this goes and what you find, it could prove to valuable info in future.

According to car part.com there is a " good" diff located at a salvage yard in Chicago for $250.I have to work the next few days so mb after that. The problem will be the rear mount/bushings , apparently difficult to remove and install? I am thinking I'll need 2 of those and mb a new mount bushing for the front right side mount of the diff.
My drain plug wasn't too bad. Fluid was a dark brown. Here is the drain plug.
IMAG0243.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like a good price for a good one. There are 2 mounts in the front and 2 in the rear it looks like.
The 2 in front of the housing should be easy enough with it on the ground the rear might need a ball joint press or cut the outer part of the bushing with a sawsall enough to weaken it then chisel it out.

You know how it is in the salt belt, what should take 2 hrs usually takes all day. Cursing, tools flying, high blood pressure are all part of the action. LOL

I put a couple of nice used tires on the rear and I have no vibration from 0 to over 100mph. so the vib must have been coming from the tires.

I talked to a few diff shops and they said if it isn't making the noise while driving under load they wouldn't mess with it... yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back