Valvoline 20w50 Racing Oil Not Street Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy Valvoline SAE 20w50 Racing Oil - Not Street Legal.
I realize it has the Valvoline number VV851.
Is this oil still available or is it obsolete these days?
Have read some places that this is a synthetic oil but I believe this must be wrong.
Any leads or comments appreciated.

It says on the bottle not to use it in an engine equipped with a catalytic converter. I use it in my 95 Harley EG. It's very popular with the Harley folks. I haven't been able to find it in synthetic either.

Its not "illegal" per say, so it isn't like you get caught your going to jail or getting fined.. Its just a high zddp oil that over time MAY ruin your catalytic converters on newer vehicles.

There are three types of Valvoline racing oils: VR1 conventional, VR1 synthetic, and NSL (Not Street Legal). I've seen NSL in well-stocked parts stores that cater to racers. The NAPA in Battle Creek has it. VR1 conventional is basically VWB with extra zddp. VR1 synthetic is basically Synpower with extra zddp and blue dye. NSL is something past both of them. I looked at its specs a while back and thought that it may have some ester content based on a very high flash point. You just sort of have to like something called "Not Street Legal".

Thanks for the lead. I will try Napa in Battle Creek for that Not Street Legal oil.

"The level of engine protection we offer is illegal for on-road use, so please don't use this oil in an on-road application! Wink, wink." Sounds like a clickbait advertisement.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There are three types of Valvoline racing oils: VR1 conventional, VR1 synthetic, and NSL (Not Street Legal). I've seen NSL in well-stocked parts stores that cater to racers. The NAPA in Battle Creek has it. VR1 conventional is basically VWB with extra zddp. VR1 synthetic is basically Synpower with extra zddp and blue dye. NSL is something past both of them. I looked at its specs a while back and thought that it may have some ester content based on a very high flash point. You just sort of have to like something called "Not Street Legal".

What is VWB?
Is the Not Street Legal a synthetic or not?

VWB = Valvoline White Bottle. BITOG slang for Valoline Premium Conventional Motor oil.

Yes, NSL was a synthetic, but it doesn't seem to be in production anymore. The stock I saw in Battle Creek was apparently on the shelf for a long time.

I Build alot of top tier Race engines here at the Speed Shop, I would like to Add This: ("VR1 synthetic is basically Synpower with extra zddp and blue dye"), We have had very good results with this product, Would reccomend highly. Gregg

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I Build alot of top tier Race engines here at the Speed Shop, I would like to Add This: ("VR1 synthetic is basically Synpower with extra zddp and blue dye"), We have had very good results with this product, Would reccomend highly. Gregg

Are you using the VR1 as a substitute for the VV851 Not Street Legal?
Why aren't you using the VV851?

Valvoline has a toll free number on they're bottles that I called and talked with a rep about using the Vr1 20w50 in my Harley. 1-800-832-6825

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back