Hickok45 on YouTube - Gun Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're interested in guns, go to YouTube and search "Hickok45"

Older guy, former LEO and competitive shooter who does video reviews and comparisons of all manner of firearms. Even gets into the history a little bit. Has a range on his property where he shoots steel targets, 2-liters, gongs, cinderblocks, etc. He obviously loves to shoot, is knowledgeable, and has a lot of fun doing it. He's reviewed a lot of different models.

While you're on YouTube, also check out FPS Russia. He doesn't review and compare as much as he shoots, but he shoots some incredible weaponry, from fully-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns, to anti-aircraft artillery! I have no clue how he gets his hands on some of the stuff.

Used to watch him all the time. Great shot for a casual shooter. Is he still a big time Glocker? I remember him trying and liking the xd or m&p couple years ago when I stopped watching. I didn't stop watching cause I don't like his vids, just past my fanatical gun phase.

Edit: I didn't think he was a competitive shooter, is this new ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fordranger03
He's in TN to if I remember correctly. Right?

Yep, here in Nashville.

I still watch him a lot. Although his videos are all pretty similar, they are pretty funny and you do get some good close ups of the guns he is shooting. I have watched him for a while and as far as I know, he is a retired school teacher. He says frequently that he was never a cop or in the military. He was a pretty good competition shooter though.

He's been around for years now and I think we discussed him here before.

I respect his shooting skills and he is a great entertainer. I like his gun reviews, I don't particularly agree with him on gun cleaners and a single lube and his love of a certain product. I mentioned that I had some issues with said product and there really are a number of gun lubes and cleaners that work fine. I did not mention the names of these other products, but he deleted my comment. I started a dialog with him and he just closed down. I believe now this product funds him. I actually have no issue at all with this, but the secrecy and deleting my comment put a big question in my mind. Hey, if you have a sponsor, say so. The word shill comes to mind, I'm sorry to say.

Balistol ... An ok CLP - but I mainly have used it as a cleaner only . I once soaked a steel guide rod / spring assembly in Balistol and came back in a few weeks and the Balistol had turned into a amber gel ... I didn't care for that aspect of Balistol . For a a Lube / Protect (LP) product - I believe there are better choices available than Balistol ...
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I respect his shooting skills and he is a great entertainer. I like his gun reviews, I don't particularly agree with him on gun cleaners and a single lube and his love of a certain product. I mentioned that I had some issues with said product and there really are a number of gun lubes and cleaners that work fine. I did not mention the names of these other products, but he deleted my comment. I started a dialog with him and he just closed down. I believe now this product funds him. I actually have no issue at all with this, but the secrecy and deleting my comment put a big question in my mind. Hey, if you have a sponsor, say so. The word shill comes to mind, I'm sorry to say.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Balistol ... An ok CLP - but I mainly have used it as a cleaner only . I once soaked a steel guide rod / spring assembly in Balistol and came back in a few weeks and the Balistol had turned into a amber gel ... I didn't care for that aspect of Balistol . For a a Lube / Protect (LP) product - I believe there are better choices available than Balistol ...

Exactly, I've actually had worse experiences with the stuff and will go a step further and say it's actually one of the few products that I've used on guns that DIDN'T work (I've used quite a few!)

Hickok won't even discuss it. Oh well.

First video of his I watched was his safety video. I thought that was pretty well done. His others are entertaining at least. I've only watched a few.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I still watch him a lot. Although his videos are all pretty similar, they are pretty funny and you do get some good close ups of the guns he is shooting. I have watched him for a while and as far as I know, he is a retired school teacher. He says frequently that he was never a cop or in the military. He was a pretty good competition shooter though.

He says in more than 1 of his videos that he was a LEO for a while.

Well, I've run into some Amsoil salesmen who were also pretty closed-minded and defensive about the products they sell, and also annoyingly opinionated and argumentative. Not saying you are...just relating my experience.

I am surprised that he would delete comments. I've watched probably 30-40 of his videos, and that doesn't sound like him. He offers opinions, but he's ALWAYS careful to note that the viewer's opinion may differ from his... I've never heard him express an opinion and say that there's no other way to do it.

I'm sure Hickok doesn't have time to get into an argument with everybody who disagrees with something he says.

He does love Ballistol. It works well for cleaning and for preventing rust, but it does gum up. It has it uses, but lets face it, the product is from the turn of the 20th century. It is not a wonder product but has its uses.

He does mention he has certain companies that support him in some ways such as federal who usually supplies him with ammo.

His early videos he does mention he is/was a teacher. It is nice to see the guns in action though. I watch his channel as well as the Military Arms Channel.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Well, I've run into some Amsoil salesmen who were also pretty closed-minded and defensive about the products they sell, and also annoyingly opinionated and argumentative. Not saying you are...just relating my experience.

I am surprised that he would delete comments. I've watched probably 30-40 of his videos, and that doesn't sound like him. He offers opinions, but he's ALWAYS careful to note that the viewer's opinion may differ from his... I've never heard him express an opinion and say that there's no other way to do it.

I'm sure Hickok doesn't have time to get into an argument with everybody who disagrees with something he says.

Not at all sure what an Amsoil Dealer has to do with this thread (????)

Yes, absolutely he deleted my comments. They were actually neutral and truthful. I was not arguing, and yes he really really pushes Ballistol and the main thing I commented on was when he said there is no downside at all to the product. It's a known fact that it can gum up, doesn't store well and there are much better rust prohibitors. But again, he is free to use and talk about the products he likes, and he can delete my comments, it's his channel.

Hey and I like his videos!!!

I liked his videos. He has an unusual sense of humor that I actually like. And the guy is a terrific shot. He has a lot of information about handguns.

I have tried Ballistol. It is okay but I am more impressed with CorrosionX and even good old Breakfree. Combined with a cleaner like Hoppes Elite or even old school Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner these products work fine. In fact, just lithium grease on the slides and good old Hoppes No. 9 gun oil and a good cleaner will work.

I found Ballistol to be okay but it is expensive and it has a strange smell. With me it seemed half the time to smell sort of like licorice and half the time like dirty socks. When it smelled like dirty socks I would take the smell of Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner any day.

I think there are better products than Ballistol but if that guy is receiving sponsorship he has to support the sponsor's products. I understand that but it potentially it makes his evaluations of that product biased.

But what he said about handguns and shooting were good.

Last edited:

Not at all sure what an Amsoil Dealer has to do with this thread (????)

Yes, absolutely he deleted my comments. They were actually neutral and truthful. I was not arguing, and yes he really really pushes Ballistol and the main thing I commented on was when he said there is no downside at all to the product. It's a known fact that it can gum up, doesn't store well and there are much better rust prohibitors. But again, he is free to use and talk about the products he likes, and he can delete my comments, it's his channel.

Hey and I like his videos!!!

I assumed you're an Amsoil salesman from your Avatar and signature. As I said, I've run into a few Amsoil salesmen on other forums who were annoyingly fanatical. When I read your comments about putting down Hickok's gun cleaner, the first thought that came to my mind was that maybe you were one of those irritating Amsoil salesmen who puts down on every product except Amsoil.

Maybe I was wrong... After all, BITOGers do tend to take a more objective view than most. And, from your post count, I assume you've been here for a while.

Amsoil?

Unless they've branched out into the firearm lubes division I don't know what that has to do with amsoil and obviously it's more of an attack than a comment.
Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back