Darmok and Jalad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enkidu, a wild man, from the forest - entered the city.
They fought in the temple.
They fough in the streets.
Gilgamesh defeated Enkidu.
They became great friends.
Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk.

Originally Posted By: theKman
A classic.

Definitely. One of the more insightful episodes, even for a generally insightful series.

Maybe I need to watch it again, as I didn't like it the first time.

"The Inner Light" on the other hand, wow that was some episode.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Maybe I need to watch it again, as I didn't like it the first time.

"The Inner Light" on the other hand, wow that was some episode.

The Inner Light is definitely a contender for the best. That, and Tapestry. Some great writing there.

Give Darmok a chance
wink.gif

Both "Darmok" and "Inner Light" are SF stories to be proud of. Both are on my list of the 5 "Next Generation" episodes for a new viewer to try, along with:

"11001001," which features a holodeck version of a 1950s New Orleans jazz club, and the Bynars, a race who travel only in pairs.

"The Measure of a Man," in which android (and Star Fleet officer) Data must undergo a hearing to prove he has the right not to be disassembled.

"Q Who?" in which the terrifying alien (and I mean terrifying, and alien) race, the Borg, first appear.

The writer of "Darmok" managed a neat trick. By the end, when Picard uses some of the aliens' own imagery in speaking to them, we, the audience, understand what it means.

Put "Darmok" together with the original series ep "Arena" (Kirk vs. the reptilian Gorn captain), and you'll see the tremendously different approach to storytelling "Next Generation" took.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!
best part was him confiding to troi that while he was willing to tell Madred anything to stop the pain, for a moment, he really did believe that there were five lights.

"If there's nothing wrong with me . . . is it possible there's something wrong with the universe?"

and

"Click my heels together three times and I'm back in Kansas. Can it really be that simple?"

I'm not surprised that many of us are Star Trek fans.

I've always especially loved TNG, as they used a lot of real science in the storylines (of course a lot of made-up stuff as well). And it seemed like it could actually be a believable future.

I really like the newest movie, too. The new Spock, and especially the new McCoy actors did a great job of emulating the originals.

My favorite TNG episodes are the ones that deal with "space-time phenomena." I like the one where the 1701-D keeps getting destroyed, and they come across the drifting shuttlecraft with Picard in it.

Expanding this a bit, a few more that I remember:

The movie "Insurrection". There are some really funny comedy bits. And yes the new movies are great especially the first one.

Some episodes and arcs in DS9 were phenomenal. I don't think I ever watched a DS9 episode more than once because I always wanted to watch it back to back.

Some episodes in Voyager, mainly epic battles, were also amongst the best ever, not to mention 7 of 9 in general. Equinox, Scorpion, Deadlock, Timeless, Year of [censored], Tuvik, Message in a Bottle.

What little I saw of "Voyager" I liked. Tim Russ made the best Vulcan since Nimoy and Lenard -- too many of the younger actors playing Vulcans failed to project that sense of alienness, of a superbly intelligent being, that the first actors did. And Kate Mulgrew's Capt. Janeway really seemed like a ship captain. (I understand Genevieve Bujold was originally cast as Janeway, and quit during filming of the first episode. I can't believe her as a commanding officer. Mulgrew I could.)

^ Tim Russ has an interesting Star Trek history:

Quote:
Aside from Tuvok on the Star Trek: Voyager series, Russ has played the following roles in Star Trek:
Devor, a mercenary in the "Starship Mine" episode of The Next Generation (1993)
T'Kar, a Klingon in the Deep Space Nine episode "Invasive Procedures" (1993)
A human tactical Lieutenant on the USS Enterprise-B in the film Star Trek Generations (1994).
The Mirror Universe counterpart of his Voyager character, Tuvok, who was a member of the Terran Resistance in the Deep Space Nine (1995) episode "Through the Looking Glass".

Russ is currently directing and co-starring in the fan financed Star Trek: Renegades, and in 2013 reprised his role as the voice of Tuvok in the MMO Star Trek Online.

Has anyone played Star Trek video games?

I really enjoyed playing Birth of the Federation and Voyager Elite Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back