Is M1 0w40 superior to other Euro oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Rotella T6 has the same basestock as the Shell Helix oils specified for Ferrari.

Rotella T6 is GTL based?

I never said T6 is the same exact oil as shell supplies to Ferrari.

I said basestock.

the additive package, of course, will be different.

I know what you said, I'm asking how you know this
smile.gif
Base oils are blended to achieve a certain suite of viscosity characteristics that are then manipulated to where they need to be with VII's. I'd wager that the base oil blend for T6 is heavier than the one for PU 5w-40.

Rotella T6 has the same basestock as the Shell Helix oils specified for Ferrari.

Even if we knew this to be true, T6 meets completely different specifications. It competes with Delvac 1 and Delo.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Even if we knew this to be true, T6 meets completely different specifications. It competes with Delvac 1 and Delo.

So? As I said earlier.... the additive package that is added to the base oil is what makes it different... and the additive package only constitute 10-20% of the oil. The rest is the basestock (oil blend)

a company tailors the additive package of a base oil to meet the intended performance....

this is BITOG 101 info here.

a company tailors the additive package of a base oil to meet the intended performance....

Not completely. Take Noack for example. Some stringent Euro specs require it to be no higher than 10%. You're not going to achieve low Noack with an additive package.

So? As I said earlier.... the additive package that is added to the base oil is what makes it different... and the additive package only constitute 10-20% of the oil. The rest is the basestock (oil blend)

And that wasn't my original point at all. My point was that Shell's closest substitution for M1 0w-40 isn't readily available on the shelf in certain locations, notably in most of North America, whereas Castrol is more readily available, as is the M1 0w-40.

I'm well aware I can get T6 very readily. And, for many people, it could be used in lieu of M1 0w-40. But, that wasn't the point at all. If I wanted Pennzoil's equivalent to M1 0w-40, I'd be in for a real chore. It's certainly not on the shelf at Walmart or Canadian Tire. The SOPUS distributor in this city isn't allowed to sell Pennzoil-Quaker State products. So, I'd be hunting dealerships or going out of town.

So, I'd be hunting dealerships or going out of town.

Or you'd be buying it from Amazon, like OVERKILL did.
smile.gif

If I recall, M1 0w40 in jugs only appeared in my Walmarts a year or two ago. Castrol 0w40 has only just appeared.

Now that PU Euro 5w40 is PP Euro 5w40, perhaps it is more likely to appear in Walmart's that do not stock Ultra.

I think it is just like the appearance of 0w20. It takes a little time for there to be diy'ers or even local mechanics to demand these grades in enough numbers before it is supplied.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

Probably! I saw a few PP commercials on Canadian TV lately, but nothing for the new PU. I have never seen it in the wild even in 5w-30 (let alone a Euro grade), and as a BITOGer, I go to a LOT of places that sell oil.

Hey that's my cocky line! I agree with GARAK that this is too esoteric to be BITOG 101 - plus the assumption is incorrect.

smile.gif

Probably! I saw a few PP commercials on Canadian TV lately, but nothing for the new PU. I have never seen it in the wild even in 5w-30 (let alone a Euro grade), and as a BITOGer, I go to a LOT of places that sell oil.

My napa has ultra in the new bottles ,right behind the ultra in the old bottles. Pretty dusty at 75 bucks a jug.
The napa has pppp too, at 55 a jug.

Walmart has the new pppp too,not sure of the cost.
I'm done buying oil for a few years. I've still got 150 scattered quarts from my yard sale score a couple years ago,10 jugs of ultra from the napa 28 buck jug deal,and maybe 15 jugs of M1/old pp/qsud and a couple jugs of pyb.
And the remnants(half or so) of 5 gallon pails of rotella and devlac elite 222.
So no more buying oil til I use this stuff up.

This hoarding is a sickness.

Better than dope I guess

Originally Posted By: Clevy
smile.gif

My napa has ultra in the new bottles ,right behind the ultra in the old bottles. Pretty dusty at 75 bucks a jug.
The napa has pppp too, at 55 a jug.

Walmart has the new pppp too,not sure of the cost.
I'm done buying oil for a few years. I've still got 150 scattered quarts from my yard sale score a couple years ago,10 jugs of ultra from the napa 28 buck jug deal,and maybe 15 jugs of M1/old pp/qsud and a couple jugs of pyb.
And the remnants(half or so) of 5 gallon pails of rotella and devlac elite 222.
So no more buying oil til I use this stuff up.

This hoarding is a sickness.

Better than dope I guess

Lol, nice stash you have there. No oil shopping for you for couple of years.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Ouch, and they won't get cleaner unless they have a big sale again. I'll have to watch the NAPA specials. Last month's QSUD was decent, but some months they don't have anything.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Hey that's my cocky line! I agree with GARAK that this is too esoteric to be BITOG 101 - plus the assumption is incorrect.

If you're a noob on this forum.... that's understandable

but you're arguing the the finer details of oil, oil analysis, etc.... then it's not esoteric, especially when there's information on the main page about oil.... (the articles section).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back