0w20 and oci by manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression that 0w20 is becoming the most common grade of oil.

I read that Toyota allows 10k mile / 1 year oci if you use any 0w20, but if you use anything else that is cut in half.

Do the other manufacturers say something similar?

IDK, just saying!

The OCI's are probably cut in half with other grades of oil due to the 0W20 being validated and others are not.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
IDK, just saying!

The OCI's are probably cut in half with other grades of oil due to the 0W20 being validated and others are not.

And the fact that 0w20 has to be at least a SYNTHETIC blend. Other grades can be conventional.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

Only in US.

I read that Toyota allows 10k mile / 1 year oci if you use any 0w20, but if you use anything else that is cut in half.

Again in the USA only, we have so nice thing as CAFE here.

In Europe the list of recommended oils for Toyota Camry 2012+ looks like:
0W-20,5W-20,5W-30,10W-30,15W-40,20W-50

Last edited:
they can only print in the manual as recommended the oil that was used in the mpg tests.

Quality 0-20 synthetic oils are becoming popular because of the quality performance they are giving. Not CAFE. I used M1 5-20 in the late 70s for the same reason.

Does anyone apart from Toyota say 0w20 can go double the oci than anything else?

And that means what? So many people spout that line, but no one explains why it's relevant or significant. Are you trying to say that 0W-20 is deficient? Then give a rational and reasoned technical argument as to why.

What the rest of the world may or may not do is irrelevant to this argument however. Neither is the spoon test, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: timeau

Only in US.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And that means what? So many people spout that line, but no one explains why it's relevant or significant. Are you trying to say that 0W-20 is deficient? Then give a rational and reasoned technical argument as to why.

What the rest of the world may or may not do is irrelevant to this argument however. Neither is the spoon test, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: timeau

Only in US.

Or, conversely, what's the reason why the rest of the world lists up to -50 weights?

Does anyone apart from Toyota say 0w20 can go double the oci than anything else?

I have a 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 liter. The manual allows the use of 5w-20 or 0w-20 but the OCI is still 5,000 miles or 6 months.....if I'm reading the manual correctly.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Quality 0-20 synthetic oils are becoming popular because of the quality performance they are giving. Not CAFE. I used M1 5-20 in the late 70s for the same reason.

Your right again Tig1....M-1 0w20 AFE use better base oils and guarantee useage for 10,000 miles.

Ford C-Max 2013 recommends 0W20. I changed out the oil and filter 1 year ago. I use Amsoil Synthetic 0W20 and changed out the filter and added 1 quart of oil 6 months ago. After 1 year, I just changed out the filter, 1 quart of oil and the attached report explains the condition of the oil. Actually, I will post the Blackstone report in the Oil Analysis Forum, as I cannot figure out how to attach it here.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Your right again Tig1....M-1 0w20 AFE use better base oils and guarantee useage for 10,000 miles.

Better base oils than who?

You can't be serious?

I will agree with tig though in that today's 20 grade performs fantastically and a fuel economy boost never hurts.

Why does the CAFE stuff keep coming up.

I'll explain so it will be clear to even the most simple of members.

Around the world each market has products commonly available to them. Ever tried to get a 20 grade down under or in Europe?
Pretty tough. So the manufacturer lists lubricants that will work,however they won't be optimal.
Optimal has to take into consideration how the engine is operated as well. Granny doesn't need a 0w-40 in her econobox to get groceries,and by the same token someone who drives a vehicle hard,elevating oil temps significantly for extended periods may want to try a grade thicker to compensate for the extra heat.
Engines here in North America are lasting at least double the mileage they used to reliably run,with a significant number of those vehicles are running a 20 grade oil.
So if the engines are lasting longer,and your saving a few cents on fuel pumping around a thinner oil that's boys is a no brainer in my book.
Consider operating habits,ambient temps and the manufacturers recommendation and make an informed choice.

And that means what?

At least a request to use the head other way then to wear a hat. Or you think that the only right thing is what you yesterday saw on TV?
Are you trying to say that 0W-20 is deficient?

Oil refineries provide you any [censored] if they can make money. This does not mean that 0W20 is a [censored], but it is not worth to plug any hole by it also.

Newton made his invention after apple fall on his head. May be the guy who used a spoon test has already discovered anything significant? I am pretty sure because of he definitely uses his head for what it was designed by the Nature.

Clevy

For the most part 0-20 synthetics have a superior base stock to dino 5-20 oils. Perhaps even better than 5-20 synthetics.

M
Clevy

For the most part 0-20 synthetics have a superior base stock to dino 5-20 oils. Perhaps even better than 5-20 synthetics.

QSUD is a great example in that the 0w has a lower NOACK, higher VI and higher HT/HS than the 5w variant. No brainer

Originally Posted By: klt1986

I have a 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 liter. The manual allows the use of 5w-20 or 0w-20 but the OCI is still 5,000 miles or 6 months.....if I'm reading the manual correctly.

"It depends". Do you have a flex fuel 5.7 or a non-FFV 5.7? It appears non-FFV allows 10k while FFV is 5k--and if E85 was used more than 50% of the time then it's a 2.5k OCI! I believe Toyota did backdate 10k OCI with 0W20 on the 5.7 at some point.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/225347-oil-change-interval-flexfuel-tundra-doesnt/

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: klt1986

"It depends". Do you have a flex fuel 5.7 or a non-FFV 5.7? It appears non-FFV allows 10k while FFV is 5k--and if E85 was used more than 50% of the time then it's a 2.5k OCI! I believe Toyota did backdate 10k OCI with 0W20 on the 5.7 at some point.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/225347-oil-change-interval-flexfuel-tundra-doesnt/

That is for a 2012...mine is a non flex fuel 2011. 0w-20 is ok to use but I still have to follow the 6 month/5,00 mile interval.....according to a couple dealers and what I have read in the manual.

Yet it's the same motor as the 2012. Actually I'm pretty sure the 5.7 was unchanged from '07 through '14, same mill all those years (not sure what is different internally on the FFV), so I'd be surprised that an '11 can't use 10k OCI.

Anyhow, I don't follow the 5.7 too closely, mine is the 4.6 and it's always been 10k. At 8qts I sure am glad it is 10k! Good luck finding an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back