HM oil for Chrysler 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me just thinking out loud as the consumption isn't a huge issue yet. The 3.8 rubi consumes about 1 quart every 3000 miles. It has about 28,500 miles on it and is driven 28 miles a day. 4 7 mile trips.

Would a HM oil slow consumption in this situation? With it being so low in miles, it doesn't leak.. just consume.

Heecho en Mexico. It was manufactured incorrectly. Rings were not properly installed, and neither were the main bearings. In addition to oil consumption, it's not unheard of for them to randomly spin main bearings.

HM oil won't slow consumption.

As much as I'm not really a fan of going heavier oils, I'd run a xW-30 oil in it. Or get it rebuilt.

The FWD 3.8 was reliable. Chrysler really dropped the ball on the Wrangler 3.8.

1 quart per 3K miles isn't bad for a 3.8. A large number of people are at 1 quart per 1K miles, and in some cases 1 quart in under 1000 miles. Consider yourself lucky!

1 quart/3000 miles is about what our '11 Wrangler burned too. I used QSUD 5W-20 the whole time we had it. Now we have a' 13 with the Pentastar.

One quart per 3k miles on almost brand new car is not shocking, but weird :) Do you use 0W20 oil currently? Just step up to 5W30, preferably mineral. IMO, Mobil Super or PYB.

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why many manufacturers recommend using synthetic oils on brand new car without changing honing technology. Yes, this is perfectly fine for BMW or Mercedes, they use chemical milling. But other...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
1 quart/3000 miles is about what our '11 Wrangler burned too. I used QSUD 5W-20 the whole time we had it. Now we have a' 13 with the Pentastar.

The 3.8 and the 3.6 are a night and day difference. The 3.8 wranglers I have drove can't get out of their own way. The 3.6 wrangler I drove had no problem lighting up the tires! Accidentally did that by mistake ...

We have a friend who's JK burned the 1 quart every 1000. He drives about 60 miles a day so I imagine it added up pretty fast. It only had 75,000 when he traded it in for a new JKU with the Pentastar.

On a side note, it sure makes you wonder how many 3.8 owners drive around with less than 5 quarts in the sump on a daily basis..

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The 3.8 and the 3.6 are a night and day difference. The 3.8 wranglers I have drove can't get out of their own way. The 3.6 wrangler I drove had no problem lighting up the tires! Accidentally did that by mistake ...

The 4.10 gearing is almost a necessity with the 3.8. Rubicon package or not.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Miller88

The 4.10 gearing is almost a necessity with the 3.8. Rubicon package or not.

My parents had a Rubicon 6 speed, stock. It couldn't go in 6th gear unless you were going down a hill. On the level, foot to the floor in 6th gear, it would lose speed!

Only time it could almost pull 6th gear was when they ran smaller 30.5'' winter tires on it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
We have a friend who's JK burned the 1 quart every 1000. He drives about 60 miles a day so I imagine it added up pretty fast. It only had 75,000 when he traded it in for a new JKU with the Pentastar.

On a side note, it sure makes you wonder how many 3.8 owners drive around with less than 5 quarts in the sump on a daily basis..

My parents were down a few quarts when they realized it was burning oil. My father was confused ... he thought engines stopped burning oil 30 years ago haha. His words were something like "Oh yeah, it's Chrysler"

Originally Posted By: timeau
One quart per 3k miles on almost brand new car is not shocking, but weird :) Do you use 0W20 oil currently? Just step up to 5W30, preferably mineral. IMO, Mobil Super or PYB.

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why many manufacturers recommend using synthetic oils on brand new car without changing honing technology. Yes, this is perfectly fine for BMW or Mercedes, they use chemical milling. But other...

The Chevy Corvette, from 1997, uses synthetic oil as factory fill, they also use mechanical honing. They don't have oil use issues (except for years they changed ring fitment). You can still see honing marks after 50,000 miles, so synthetic does cut down on wear.

Some BMWs use convention oil (lighter weight also) as factory fill and change it out after 1500 miles to synthetic (some as high as xw60 weight).

I always run my new cars 3,000 miles on factory fill before changing to synthetic.

Last edited:
Given that year engine/vehicle combi, the consumption is most likely mist going through the PCV system. I'd install a PCV oil separator that drains back to the crankcase on engine shutdown, it could easily cut that consumption in half.

Originally Posted By: timeau

The last run was actually with some spare 5w30 that was laying around. Lol.

The only requirement it has is the ms6395 spec. It has just gotten synthetic its whole life, per my dads request, and since the 7 quart sump Ford needs a wssm2c945 (I had to google this one ) blend /synthetic, its just as easy/ cheap to buy a 3 5 quart jugs 5w20 PP at a time since it meets both specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back