Ten Ways To Season Steak

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.break.com/video/need-to-season-a-steak-watch-this-2773124

Not sure what cut he uses, thin ribeye? Looked really tender at the end.

I just put Montreal steak spice on and bbq on a propane bbq with an aluminum foil "cigar" with Mesquite chips in it (placed under the grill on top of the heat plate).

I always cook steak with the gas on full blast, timed with the lid down, and I only flip it once. If blood really pools I usually do a 10 second flip before removing from grill.

I would like to try the Tex Mex, looks good!

Last edited:
I put ribeyes on a plate,squeeze lemons all over them,then put them in the fridge for a couple hours. Once the charcoal is ready,I place them on the grill,covering with salt and pepper,then basting with butter,grilling till they're done. So tender they fall to pieces!

I use a bit of vinegar. Seems to transport the flavor to the meat. Tenderizes a bit too. I use onion , pepper some times celery salt and the vinegar. Usually on filet mignon.

I take the Alton Brown approach. I take the meat out and let it come close to room temp. I start it on a cast iron skillet with melted butter in the bottom of the pan, season the steak, and sear it in the bottom of the skillet for 90 seconds a side.

If I'm grilling, it's on the grill for about 3 minutes / side, depending on the size of the steak. If indoors, the oven on broil for the same.

Take it out of the grill|oven and let it rest before serving.

Generally when I have a steak it's a sirloin. I crack pepper and sea salt on both sides, then sear all edges on a hot frying pan, then put them on the propane grill. And top with blue cheese. A nice medium temp is perfect.

good stuff on the video, definitely making me hungry!

I haven't grilled my self in maybe 30 years, since i picked up smoking low and slow: whole pork butts smoked for 14 hours, pic below...
[img:left][/img]

Have eaten many great grilled steaks though, my brother cooks over an open pit with real wood oak, hickory or mesquite what ever he has at the time.

Had some great grilled beef rib eye steaks over at his house some time back

Last edited:
Inventive...and tasty. They were pretty thin. I'm guessing he simply 'flashed' them in the pan to prevent overcooking. I've been meaning to try chimichuri. Brazillian-style. These would be great on cheaper cuts.

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: JPP
Ten ways?
I have ONE way.

Course sea salt.
Fresh cracked black pepper.
Charcoal to medium rare.
Enjoy.

JP

This is the only way I do it. Anything else seems to make the steak take a back seat to the seasoning.

Course salt and pepper. Cast iron pan @500+ degrees to sear (90 seconds a side) 10 minutes in 500 degree oven depending on thickness.

a lot of good rules of thumb in here! cook steaks HOT. cast iron? great. blasting grill? great! i just use kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. and quality meats of course!

there are some meats that do VERY well when marinaded.. flank steak for instance... take 1 part vegtable oil, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part red wine vingegar, combine with some garlic (powder or fresh doesn't matter), and cracked black pepper. place in ziplock with flank steak over night. remove grill to medium rare, allow to rest, slice thin against the grain. best [censored] flank steak ever!!

Coarse Kosher salt then after salt melts... about 20 minutes, rub clarified butter on them and sear in a cast iron pan then reduce heat a little and pan fry to medium, or after the searing step place pan in 500 degree oven until medium. Tastes like a $50 Ruths Chris steak.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Coarse Kosher salt then after salt melts... about 20 minutes, rub clarified butter on them and sear in a cast iron pan then reduce heat a little and pan fry to medium, or after the searing step place pan in 500 degree oven until medium. Tastes like a $50 Ruths Chris steak.
yessir!!!

I rub down ribeye and New York strip steak with fresh pineapple, sprinkle pepper, wrap in plastic and keep in fridge for a few hours before grilling them. The enzymes in the pineapple juice soften the meat further. I salt the steaks sparsely after grilling. I also grill the pineapple slices.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
Originally Posted By: cutter
When steaks go on sale, I buy a lot and freeze them. They're fine to cook from frozen solid. See here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE

i'm sorry, but that's really disgusting to pan fry a steak in that much oil like that.

Why? The oil isn't absorbed into the meat. It's the same amount on the meat at the end if the oil was more shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back