General Altimax Arctics

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we moved up to Wyoming from AZ, we brought up a 2wd Suburban. It now has 200k on it, and I need two more years out of it. This spring, I threw on Capitol All Terrains, Chinese made tires in an LT245/75R16 LRE. For winter however, I am now putting on my 2nd set of General Altimax Arctics in the stock size of 265/70R16. I have them studded, and they are absolutely the best winter tire I have ever ran. The other winter tire I ran was a Mastercraft Courser MSR. I had them studded also, but the Generals were far superior.

Yeah, we get enough ice here that it justifies it. It just makes me feel better.

I will be going on my 4th or 5th winter on my arctics... Probably get another after this one too. Amazing grip, excellent thread life (I thought I would have had to replace them years ago) and quiet ride. I would absolutely replace them with the exact same tire. Amazing value.

Last edited:
Really? No studs in Michigan? That's crazy. We can run them year round out here.

Most midwest and northeast states outlawed studs because of excessive pavement wear on heavily traveled roads. More salt is used, but effects on cars, bridges, and environmental concerns may cause states to find other means of clearing roads, probably more expensive than either studs or salt.

If everyone would just use winter tires you wouldn't need studs. I wish I could afford a set but hopefully my new mastercraft avenger gts can cope this winter. Last winter made due with 3/32nds on front I think I'll be OK.

My daughter put the Arctic(not studded) on her '06 Mazda 3i for the winter in PA. They were perfect as these light cars could use some help. She was running the "very good in the winter", all season, Hankook Optimo H727's but in PA they just weren't enough.

For people interested in a comparable tire that is low cost but comes studded from the factory, it is the Nordic Nordfrost 100 Studded.

I am contemplating them for my next set of Winter tires. I don't want to pay big money for studding.

Montreal and surrounding areas gets tons of ice, slush, freezing rain, and snow.

Then it drops down to -25C for a week, and it all freezes.

I don't think there is a worse place to drive in the Winter in North America than Montreal.

Combined with crumbling roads, confusing signage, and glare ice intersections, I think I am willing to put up with the noise of studs at this point.

I currently have Yokohama IG-20s, they are pretty good but I want more glare ice traction especially when the temps warm and you get water on the surface.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Really? No studs in Michigan? That's crazy. We can run them year round out here.

No studs... but we allow trucks up to 240,000 pounds on the highway.

The stupid... it burns.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Rubber Studs?

Michigan

Studded tires are permitted but only with rubber studs.

Huh?

Last I heard, the law here was that if you get cited for running studs, it's incumbent upon you to produce documentation from the tire or stud manufacturer stating that the studs have demonstrated no deleterious effect on regular pavement in testing. Of course, no manufacturer is going to have performed said testing, so they're effectively prohibited.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Rubber Studs?

Michigan

Studded tires are permitted but only with rubber studs.

Yeah, I did see this mentioned on one website, but official Michigan government sources don't confirm it.

There is some legality that in practical terms prevents the use of studded tires in Michigan:
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-52374-205116--F,00.html

The state puts burden on stud manufacturers to prove their studs don't cause excessive road wear. Either most studs can't meet the wear requirement or the cost of administering such tests is too expensive to bother with. Bureaucracy at its best.

On the other hand, at least Western part of Michigan doesn't use much salt either. They spread sand from what I've seen, but that's not effective at melting ice. So unless you have non-studded winter tires that are good on ice, you're going to be sliding around.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If everyone would just use winter tires you wouldn't need studs. I wish I could afford a set but hopefully my new mastercraft avenger gts can cope this winter. Last winter made due with 3/32nds on front I think I'll be OK.

If everyone were to use winter tires, they wouldn't have to salt the roads.

No idea. I guess it'd depend on the mood of the police officer. I would assume they'd let you off the hook if you were from out of state. Just like I'd expect them to not give you a ticket for having tinted windows if you were from out of state.

I recall when I lived in Michigan in the early 70's radar detectors were confiscated by the highway patrol from 'out of state types'. I think you could get them back later with $. No idea if such a mentality still exists now tho. Dan Mpls. Mn.

Maybe since we are the least populated state in the nation, there isn't as much impact on the roads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back