Tremec 3650, I need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 3650 in my '02 GT it's felt the best on either Mobil 1 ATF or Royal Purple Synchromax. I will say though that in normal everyday driving they both feel the same. But when really getting on it the higher RPM shifts feel a tad bit smoother with the Synchromax.

Also, if you haven't already, drop the amount you put in the trans. That was the main thing that Tremec was very consistent on to address the notchy 1-2 shift that would grind a little. Put in 3.2 qt's instead of 4.

Lower fluid level leads to warmer/thinner average operating temp/visc. I also understand that you'll have less fluid to stir around(molasses) easing shift effort. I just don't see it as a great longevity mod. Try a thinner fluid at full level. If you go to 80% fill, I'd go thicker.

Originally Posted By: Mulestang
I spoke with Tremec about the fluid for my 03's tranny when I came across a document that recommended a Havoline ATF.

This was because that was the ONLY fluid they actually tested in their gearboxes at the time.
I was told this by the Tremec techs themselves, and they stated that others (even FULL synthetics) most likely would be just fine, but the Havoline dino ATF was the ONLY one they could vouch for with direct experience.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Lower fluid level leads to warmer/thinner average operating temp/visc. I also understand that you'll have less fluid to stir around(molasses) easing shift effort. I just don't see it as a great longevity mod. Try a thinner fluid at full level. If you go to 80% fill, I'd go thicker.

Nope, thinner fluid at normal level doesn't work. And thicker fluid at the lower level doesn't work. I've known and talked to plenty of people that tried those ideas and they didn't help. There are tons of guys out there running these cars very hard at high horsepower with the lower fluid level and haven't had any problems with heat hurting things.

Originally Posted By: Mulestang
I had both 01 and 03 GTs. Also had an 05 and 09. I spoke with Tremec about the fluid for my 03's tranny when I came across a document that recommended a Havoline ATF. Long story short, they recommended Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, and that's what I ran in my Stangs. Never had an issue. YMMV
THIS! Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF. Was a big improvement over whatever was in there before. ***Note - I filled to the FULL capacity, NOT 3.2 quarts. As others said, I felt dealing with a little notchiness was better than shortening its lifespan. It is just slightly thin/notchy feeling when cold, but excellent warm. Regardless, I'm very happy with it.

I also ditched the stock shifter. I swapped just the "arm" to the Steeda, and a knob just for looks (not a "shift kit"). That is the best mod I've done to this car. No more reaching to China for 5th.
49.gif

Hopefully this reaches the op before the fluid change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back