2013 Prius 10k Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
49.4mpg from new at time of oil change.
oil.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, mine was in the mid 2s after 10k.

I would continue with the 10k intervals; I have 95k on my 2011 with no issues at all. I am usually down between 1/4 to 1/3 qt when it is due for service.

Mine is averaging in the high 30s with the 17" wheel pkg, I miss the mid-40s that I used to get with the 15s.

So you topped up with some Castrol at some point?
I would recommend you go with TGMO 0W-20 as the replacement fill. For the money there simply isn't a better engine lube for your Prius.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
So you topped up with some Castrol at some point?
I would recommend you go with TGMO 0W-20 as the replacement fill. For the money there simply isn't a better engine lube for your Prius.

Yes. It will get what ever branded 0w-20 that is on sale. Will do UOA in 50k intervals.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Only just stayed in grade...where'd your viscosity go ?

Based on? According to this chart and looking at other 0w-20 UOA, all looks within normal.
viscosity_table_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: mikefxu

Based on? According to this chart and looking at other 0w-20 UOA, all looks within normal.

Yes if, you look at your chart, it appears in the normal "range"...but do you seriously consider over 15% permanent shear to be "normal"...fuel doesn't seem to be doing it...it's hardly "normal".

Now delete your chart, and stop using it...it's outdated.

J300 was updated in Early 2013, which has been discussed, linked to, dismissed as irrelevant by some...SAE papers state that the 20s had an unusually wide "standard", which needed tightening, and the introduction of 16s allowed them to re-define, and tighten up the specs.
J300.jpg

7.02 (from a starting point of 8.5) is clearly at the lower end of 20 grade, as I stated, which runs to 6.9

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What?

^^^^

After 10,000 miles it is still in grade. I think you are overreacting here.

Maybe CATERHAM is right.

7.02 (from a starting point of 8.5) is clearly at the lower end of 20 grade, as I stated, which runs to 6.9

Maybe CATERHAM is right.

About what ?

Do you honestly consider 15+% viscosity loss in the absence of fuel to be "normal"...in what world ?

Remember, this is a "shear stable" grade.

How do we know the starting viscosity was 8.5?

Do we have a VOA of the factory fill?

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
How do we know the starting viscosity was 8.5?

Do we have a VOA of the factory fill?

Fair cop...I was ASSuming that seeing as Toyota built the Prius around TGMO that would be a reasonable starting viscosity.

If the optimum Prius oil had a start at 7.02, then TGMO would likely be that.

I agree the likelihood is that it's dropped from ~8.5 but just putting it out there that maybe they put something else in the Prius as factory fill?

And I think it's good to ask why has it sheared so much. And he topped up. I wonder how much?

How did you get the lab report to paste in your comment ?

I wish to post a report but cannot figure out how to do it?

Can you tell me how ?

I forget the exact quote, but it was about being so opposed to thinner oils that you are blinded to the facts.

And I don't know if 15% is excessive or not, but the fact remains it stayed within the grade specs - and like was mentioned, we don't know where it started.

Are you going to claim that if it did lose 15%, that would be detrimental to the engine?

Maybe CATERHAM is right.

About what ?

Do you honestly consider 15+% viscosity loss in the absence of fuel to be "normal"...in what world ?

Remember, this is a "shear stable" grade.

WRT what you posted first...up to the little red tablets at the end of the 28 day supply are we ?

No, one of the arguments that people try to use for 20s is
a) that they don't shear...search that, and see who claims it.
b) that 30s shear to 20s (which is bad), which makes 20s good, which is illogical.
c) as an aside, Redline 20s are really 30s, when J300 clearly states that they are 20s.

My statement was that this one was nearly out of grade, which was never possible before the J300 revisions.

You're the one that got bent about it, and apparently had no idea that the chart was changed a year and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back