Which battery should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mter00s
...The 550 actually costs MORE than the 600 so wouldn't it be stupid to get the one with less CCA?

Everstart 600 CCA

Everstart 550 CCA

The 550 has the better warranty, 3 years full, 2 years prorated vs 2 full for the 600. Does the 550 at least match the CCA of the OE? Of the two, think I'd be leaning toward the 550.

I have had real good luck with the cheaper line battery from walmart. The one in my car is like 7 years old and is getting weak, but still cranks just fine. It puts out 400 CCA and is rated at 550 cca, it even started the car below zero last winter.. The same story with every cheap everstart car battery in my vehicles. The MAXX is just the premium line with a better warranty.

That is a conundrum!

I'd check them out in person to make sure they both have the johnson controls octagon vent caps. If one does, that's your winner.

I'd give a slight nod to the more expensive one with better warranty.

Buy the 3 year warranty no question. A battery is no good if it fails between years 2 and 3 and theres no free replacement.

Have you shopped online at Advance Auto? They have coupone code TRT41 that saves you $40 off $100 purchase, making a $100 battery a $60 battery...

If you can use the 75 series, can u use a 78 like my Buick? The 78 Gold at AAP has 770 CCA and was under $80 with coupon code.

i believe the 18 dollar core charge is added on to the 121.99, so it would be 99.99. still, a good deal

a trick i learned about advance auto; you can get pretty much anything in their store 20% off, if you purchase it online and use promo code "P20" then pick it up in the store.. Just did that 2 weeks ago when my car needed a new battery

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
i believe the 18 dollar core charge is added on to the 121.99, so it would be 99.99. still, a good deal

a trick i learned about advance auto; you can get pretty much anything in their store 20% off, if you purchase it online and use promo code "P20" then pick it up in the store.. Just did that 2 weeks ago when my car needed a new battery

The $18 is added to the $121.99 but you get the $18 back when you pick up the battery... So it's still $82 plus tax unless you decide to keep your core.

$121.99+$18-$40 coupon =99.99 - 18 when returned core =$82.99+tax

Hey thanks for giving me the promo code. I'm going to use it with the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 75-3, 700 CCA. What a deal!

Originally Posted By: Mter00s
Hey thanks for giving me the promo code. I'm going to use it with the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 75-3, 700 CCA. What a deal!

Yep it sure is, glad you could take advantage of it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I have been pricing batteries.

Even after the big promo code for AAP, Napa was only 5 bucks more.

I looked online since i don't have a Napa around, and it says the Legend Premium only has a 24 month warranty? Is that the best warranty they have? I see it looks like they have 84 month pro rated, but only 2 year free replacement? That's not very good.

The regular legend is only 18 month free, 75 pro rated... pretty weak.

^^^ Yep, we long ago quit buying batteries by name brand. Now we choose the longest non pro rated warranty period.

Right now that's AAP...

Last edited:
There's also a code ( DEAL4K ) for 40% off your orders. 73.19 after core return refund (if the code works. I think you would need to create an online account and cannot checkout as guest.

If that one doesn't work, Another code is wd40 (35% off) 79.29 after core return

Hope you see this in time to save even more money.

Last edited:
Buying by longest non-prorated warranty is a great buying strategy.

If all else is equal, buy the heaviest battery. Seriously, the more lead in there, the better the battery (unless you're comparing apples to oranges, like AGM vs lead-acid).

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Buying by longest non-prorated warranty is a great buying strategy.

If all else is equal, buy the heaviest battery. Seriously, the more lead in there, the better the battery (unless you're comparing apples to oranges, like AGM vs lead-acid).

Agreed on heavier having more "content".

We universally despise pro rata warranties. Seems you always owe them a substantial portion of the original price, IMO.

Can't beat the house at their own game...

Regardless of what you buy, check the date of manufacture. Walmart sells so many batteries at our local store that they are never over a month or two old. You don't want a battery that has been sitting around for months or years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back