nespesso veruoline just ruined my K cups help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stayed at a very nice hotel.

They had one of these in the room
http://www.nespresso.com/us/en/pages/vertuo-machine?active_anchor=slider-top

The coffee was so good. I could not believe it. Nothing k cup or drip coffee has even come close to this machines coffee.

Looked online it's not cheap $.95 per cup. I work from 3 locations and drink 4 or 5 cups a day thats about a grand in machines and cups that are special order and expensive.

Has anyone tried anything that produces a cup of coffee that is equivalent? To the wonderful cup that this thing produces.

Stop by a Starbucks instead?
Keurig coffee is pretty lousy for those used to real coffee from a good coffee maker, so to say that something is better than K isn't saying much.

coffee at starbucks usually tastes horribly burnt or old.. but maybe thats just around here.

I am a coffee snob though..

new machine looks gimmicky but good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Keurig coffee is pretty lousy for those used to real coffee from a good coffee maker, so to say that something is better than K isn't saying much.

LOL! Agreed.

Quote:
Has anyone tried anything that produces a cup of coffee that is equivalent? To the wonderful cup that this thing produces.

Sure. Nespresso is pretty good and very convenient. But I find I can make an even better cup with a low end Mr Coffee espresso machine and either Alessi or Lavazza espresso ground coffee. On a per cup basis, it's cheaper than Nespresso (around 20-25 cents per cup), but not as convenient as just popping in a pod.

Aerobie AeroPress. When I want really good coffee I break it out. Or when camping without electricity. Get the water up to 190*F, pour it in up to the correct line, stir, press, and top off the espresso shot with the remainder of the water. Takes a few minutes including heating the water, but man, does it ever make some good coffee!

Originally Posted By: Rand
coffee at starbucks usually tastes horribly burnt or old.. but maybe thats just around here.

I am a coffee snob though..

new machine looks gimmicky but good.

You are right. I watched a show about them. They do in fact burn their beans compared to industry standards. I think it was a good 29 degrees hotter.

I still use this..
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Sing...ds=coffee+press

http://www.amazon.com/Dallmayr-Gourmet-C...dallmayr+coffee

If you want an actual good cup of coffee, Starbucks is the LAST place a person should go.

Starbucks is tolerable. Dunkin worse. Mcdonalds makes a nice cup of coffee.

I love the aeropress or french press but simply don't have the time for all that.

Gotta be k-cup simplicity with a bettter cup. I have a k-cup machine and it's just ok.

Originally Posted By: volk06

If you want an actual good cup of coffee, Starbucks is the LAST place a person should go.

+1 I like strong coffee, i don't like scorched coffee!

The trick to good coffee is: 1) Really hot water, about 200F, and 2) Really fresh coffee, small batch roasted and ground just before brewing. Anything in a pod isn't the latter, even if it's kewl and convenient. So, it's the former. Most coffee makers do not heat the water sufficiently before brewing to allow the coffee to bloom fully, and the [censored] that most folks use has been roasted and then ground and left out to die in the air...even the dish water from Starbucks, they over roast it to fool you into thinking it's not stale, but 'Rich'.

If you check some of the consumers guides or Amazon for drip makers that are highly rated and get one and then use really good coffee...please, not the dishwater at Starbucks...maybe even use filtered water to take out minerals...then what you had from the overpriced gizmo will fade from memory fast.

When I really want a good cup of coffee and I have the time, I use a French press. For the 3-4 times a week I want a quick cup in the morning I have no problems with my Keurig using coffee from San Francisco Bay Coffee-usually the Rainforest Blend.

If we have guests over, in the morning it's plain old Folgers in a full size pot so nobody has to wait for a cup.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Aerobie AeroPress. When I want really good coffee I break it out. Or when camping without electricity. Get the water up to 190*F, pour it in up to the correct line, stir, press, and top off the espresso shot with the remainder of the water. Takes a few minutes including heating the water, but man, does it ever make some good coffee!

+1

Originally Posted By: EvanD
I love the aeropress or french press but simply don't have the time for all that.

I've got it down to 2 minutes to make a very tasty cup. I ruined a lot of good coffee before I figured out how. I almost threw out the machine, just the occasional excellent cup kept me trying!

1. Heat 6.5 to 7 ounces of water in microwave for 60 seconds.

2. Meanwhile, invert the Aeropress and add between 1/3 to 1/2 scoop of espresso grounds. [Aerobie instructions say 2 scoops of regular grinds.]

3. Add water and stir for 10 seconds.

4. Press.

5. Eject puck, wipe piston head with finger, store press without further cleaning.

I reuse the paper filter unless a lot of grounds stick to it, in that case I throw it away and use a new one next cup.

It has been 2 years since I started using this process, I estimate I've made a 1000 cups, not bad for a $30 investment in equipment. That said, it'll probably break any day now.

Originally Posted By: EvanD
Nespresso-Coffee-Espresso.jpeg
Look at this crema smooth not burnt. No drip machine i have ever used came out like this.

Yea thats a mighty nice photoshopped image rendered marketing piece..

you need pressure to produce good crema, any decent pressurized process will produce crema.

get a reasonably priced expresso machine if you want crema, top up with 180F water to make american style coffee with crema.

this might be abit overkill but convenient.
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU
BES860XL_crema_300._V387528253_.jpg

fresh ground vs 10 day old ground beans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back