Ultra Light Lithum Jump starter by Noco w/usb port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browing the Noco sight for a charger and came across this new product. Some of us know they have really nice automatic chargers, so i have high hopes for this.

It's an Ultra light portable jump pack with 400A of 12v cranking power plus the 2.1A usb charging port to be used as a portable power bank. Also has a flashlight. Price is pretty high but probably worth it.

Sure would be lighter than a Clore Jump N' Carry.

It's on my wish list for sure.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/

noco_genius_boost_safe_lithium_jump_starter_lawn_mower_jump_start.jpg

noco_genius_boost_safe_lithium_jump_starter_usb_port_charging_phone.jpg

Yep it requires the included 2.1A charger which is the same as a tablet power supply.

I have seen another lithium ion jump pack on Amazon with tons of perfect reviews but this caught my attention more.

That's a good looking unit...should get one, as similar is on my list of things to get.

A local auto electrician has been playing with the "other" ones for a while now, the ones like Chris142 posted about a while ago.

The "1000s" of charges is probably correct, but a handful of jumpstarts is about their life limit

Power-optimized Li-ion batteries can do very high rates (as high as 400 c-rate continuous, and thousands for pulsed use) for limited times, temperature being the biggest consideration.

This to me looks like a jump pack for if you left the lights on a little too long. If the battery is really shot or the engine is hard to turn over, I fear this thing could have some nasty failure modes. A low enough impedance battery short/starter I suspect could cause the cells to fail and explode.

The nice thing about these jump packs is they fit onboard a motorcycle. I bought one several months ago and switch it among vehicles. Problem is I'm compulsive enough with maintenance that I doubt I'm ever going to need it.

Can these be kept in the trunk forever? Do they need to be charged periodically? Few months ago, a similar one was on sale for around $70; I should have grabbed it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive been wanting to get a booster for my phone on those hard days; this might be neat to have.

If you just want something to charge your phone. Look up portable power banks, much cheaper than this. Anker makes a nice one on Amazon. I pieced my own together with an enb box and 2x18650 cells from Panasonic, the ncr18650a cells.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Power-optimized Li-ion batteries can do very high rates (as high as 400 c-rate continuous, and thousands for pulsed use) for limited times, temperature being the biggest consideration.

This to me looks like a jump pack for if you left the lights on a little too long. If the battery is really shot or the engine is hard to turn over, I fear this thing could have some nasty failure modes. A low enough impedance battery short/starter I suspect could cause the cells to fail and explode.

They advertise it as safe, so It would be interesting to see any problems like that but who knows. 400 amps should be enough for most any jump start.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
similiar to this one?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...not#Post3251586

Yep that's the other one I saw too that I wanted. Surprisingly all the Amazon reviews are great.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can these be kept in the trunk forever? Do they need to be charged periodically? Few months ago, a similar one was on sale for around $70; I should have grabbed it.

I'm sure it can be left in the trunk for a much longer time than lead acid jump packs, but you might want to charge it every few months to see how its holding up. It's so small you wouldn't put it in the trunk you would put it in the glove box or console.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive been wanting to get a booster for my phone on those hard days; this might be neat to have.

If you just want something to charge your phone. Look up portable power banks, much cheaper than this. Anker makes a nice one on Amazon. I pieced my own together with an enb box and 2x18650 cells from Panasonic, the ncr18650a cells.

Yeah, I know about those, but I like this for being able to jump start as well. I carry my backpack pretty much everywhere so it could just live in there.

you'd need to charge it once in awhile. BUT this has a usb charging port, so you could smartly wire it to a usb charger that hooks to 12v/cigarette port.

You'd need to verify that when the car is off, your usb charger doesn't back drain from the jumpstarter.

Last edited:
Found this video while looking at charger videos. Looks like the other lithium based jumpnstarters I saw long ago aren't safe and can spark pretty aggressively if not hooked up correctly, making it less than ideal for giving as a gift to someone who might mess up. The noco won't spark.

Boost™ Vs. Traditional Car Jump Starters - The Po…: http://youtu.be/tXnrrpSU98c

Did anyone pre order one? I wanted to pre order, but my flex pipe broke on my Buick and sounds like crud now.... Quoted $200 to fix...ouch!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Found this video while looking at charger videos. Looks like the other lithium based jumpnstarters I saw long ago aren't safe and can spark pretty aggressively if not hooked up correctly, making it less than ideal for giving as a gift to someone who might mess up. The noco won't spark.

Boost™ Vs. Traditional Car Jump Starters - The Po…: http://youtu.be/tXnrrpSU98c
All of them are most likely built on the same assembly line in china but gets slapped a different sticker at the end. They all claim short-circuit protection. If you watch that advertisement video on the youtube, you will notice that the comparison was with a traditional charger and not yet another lithium jump starter.

By the way, those stickers are all wrong. The MAH capacity is inflated by 3X; when the cells are in series, one does NOT multiply MAH! Unfortunately, the first guy put the wrong capacity on the sticker, so now every other guy has to make sure he posts even higher fake number!

At 18 seconds into the video they start a fire with the popular $100 lithium jump pack you've seen on Amazon.

Not seeing any capacity for the noco and not really concerned as long as it can actually jump start a vehicle. On their other YouTube video they started a v8 with no battery just using the noco jump pack.

Maybe I'll wait to see some reviews on it...

I couldn't really make out what they were using at the 18 second mark. Rest of the video, they were comparing it against traditional jump-starter straight on the bench. If you had not pointed it out, I would have never realized that two second blurb!

I couldn't really make out what they were using at the 18 second mark. Rest of the video, they were comparing it against traditional jump-starter straight on the bench. If you had not pointed it out, I would have never realized that two second blurb!

It caught my attention pretty good since it actually started a fire I went back and looked closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back