Tightening Strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
My question is in regards to my daughter's '06 Mazda 3i/auto

One of the front struts(pass side) was a bit loose and causing a bit of clunking when putting the gear selector into DRIVE and taking off. I thought it was possibly a motor mount but, it was the strut bolt on top(under the hood)

I tightened the Strut hold down bolt while also holding the center thread of the strut top with a 6mm allen wrench(where is shows through the mount).

My question is, will tightening the strut hold down bolt alone, (to the torque specified), change the alignment at all?... to possibly be out of spec?

The clunking is now gone and I'm happy!
smile.gif

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
Nope.

Sounds like the shop that did the work impacted the nut on...like most do. Except this guy did not impact it on quite enough.
56.gif

I wonder if you developed slop in the strut mount that you took up. If so, this may come back kinda soon. But it's not immediately hazardous, so you'll know it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I wonder if you developed slop in the strut mount that you took up. If so, this may come back kinda soon. But it's not immediately hazardous, so you'll know it.

The way you are saying this, I'm not quite understanding what you mean, sorry!
smile.gif

The "Loaded"Struts were installed in Aug-Sept 2013(> 1 yr ago) and this is the first time I am touching them. All I did was snug the hold down bolt about 1/2 a turn, which was all I could get it to turn. Now it's tight!

Is there anything that I should be looking for since I tightened them?

I use a bit of antiseize on the strut bolts when installing, as it makes it easier to get snug. If the strut bearings are not good quality, this may return. I hope the mech just left it loose, but even that may have damaged them somewhat. You will know if it returns again.

Last edited:
A) as answered, wont' change alignment.

B) should be about 50 lbs for the center bolt, 30/40lbs on the strut bolts (3?). Check them all.

C) if it returns, consider the mount/bearings as the culprit. they do wear. Pure highway miles, they are good for 250k miles. NYC, 80k.

D) in my experience, with the car on the ground, you can get the center nut plenty tight without bothering with holding it with an allen through the center. the weight of the car should create enough pressure to allow you to torque it correctly. If you NEED to hold it with an allen key, then the strut may be blown or your mount mis-adjusted.

Quote:
I use a bit of antiseize on the strut bolts when installing

I gotta plus 1 this. I use antiseize almost anything over 50 lbs, on the underside, etc. It makes installation easier and later work a breeze in comparison.

Last edited:
Well, there is probably 12K-13K miles on these F: "Loaded" Struts & R: Shocks. No rear spring were replaced and they're fine.

Mostly rural & city type driving with 500 mile Hiwy round trips, 1-2 weekends/month!

I did notice that after the F: Loaded Struts(KYB) & R: Shocks(Monroe OE Spec) were installed, there was some clunking noises that had developed over time. I think that I found/fixed most of them!
smile.gif

Replaced both R: Shock Mounts(1 had broken 10 months later) The Rear Shock Mounts WERE NOT replaced with the shocks...
frown.gif

The suspension does sound a bit junky at times but, there is 115K miles on the car! Everything has been checked several times by shops and several items have been replaced(control arm, halfshaft).

Just hearing some noises that cause concern is all!

Just another point!
The Loaded Struts are of course, pre assembled so the installer can just pop them in the car after removing the old struts.

The installer/TECH probably didn't double check KYB's assembly job and really, why should they have to!
smirk.gif

So, over the past year since the struts were installed, things have loosened up causing some noises that I have been searching for...thinking the noises were, motor mounts. And for good reason! Motor mounts seem to be an issue with this Gen Mazda3!

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I alway know to come here first!
smile.gif

CB

Sometimes I would properly torque fasteners on struts, but the bolts would back out anyway.

I decided to use blue Loctite on every shock absorber I install. It solved the problem.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Thank you, I will probably do this as a precaution!
smile.gif

Now, even though I have tightened the hold down bolts atop the struts...struts/bearing caps being >1 yrs old, there is still a mild clunking throughout the suspension, Front & Rear over certain bumps or broken pavement.

These noises will be very difficult to locate. It could just be noises! I have shaken everything that I can grab. Shops have done the same thing and no one can seem to duplicate the noises hence, not finding the sources of noise!
smirk.gif

These noises are just the thing to drive you crazy. Noises/clunks are not loud, just present!

Last edited:
Thank you, I will probably do this as a precaution!
smile.gif

Now, even though I have tightened the hold down bolts atop the struts...struts/bearing caps being >1 yrs old, there is still a mild clunking throughout the suspension, Front & Rear over certain bumps or broken pavement.

These noises will be very difficult to locate. It could just be noises! I have shaken everything that I can grab. Shops have done the same thing and no one can seem to duplicate the noises hence, not finding the sources of noise!
smirk.gif

These noises are just the thing to drive you crazy. Noises/clunks are not loud, just present!

Ah, the joys of loaded struts. Great idea on paper, but not always the case in real world applications.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is that all you have is a center nut? There should be 3 strut mount bolts too.

Correct! The 3 mounting bolts are nice & tight. The alignment has held since so, that hasn't come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back