2013 Mazda 3 SkyActiv, M1 AFE 0w-20, 12,832 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles on oil: 12,832
Miles on vehicle: 25,667

Time in use: 8 months
Filter Used: Genuine Mazda

Note: At the time of oil service, the oil was not registering on the dipstick. No make-up oil was added during this run.

Al 6
Cr 1
Fe 31
Cu 2
Pb 0
Sn 5
Mo 144
Ni 1
Mn 0
Ag 0
Ti 0
K 1
B 46
Si 14
Na 4
Ca 1325
Mg 698
P 657
Zn 762
Ba 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F = 48.8
cSt Viscosity @ 100C = 6.9
Flashpoint = 360F
Fuel = 1.3%
Antifreeze = 0%
Water = 0%
Insolubles = 0.3%
TBN = 3.9

Link to the report: https://flic.kr/p/pcJuCz

This turned out a bit better than I expected. However, I do suspect that the Nickel and Tin may be indicative of some undesirable wear, but I am uncertain as to which components they are originating from.

Originally, we had only intended to run this oil for 7500 miles, but the owner forgot to call me for a few months. At the time of service, the oil wasn't registering on the stick and appeared very dark upon draining. Also, I personally installed this oil and filter, so I am certain that this report is reflective of the real Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20.

Lastly, I would like to thank buster for contributing to the cost of this UOA.

Last edited:
Agreed, held up better than expected. I'm not surprised it was consuming some oil, given how it's a DI engine that idles very rapidly (1500-2000 RPM cold idle) when cold.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Thanks for posting.

BTW, I think the image you linked to is unreadable at that resolution.

There's an arrow on the NE corner of the image which will increase its size.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Tell us how you took the sample. Was the engine just warm or completely up to temp?

Idled for 15 minutes before doing the oil service. The sample was caught midstream.

The fuel number is probably accurate (if not a bit low); the oil had a decently strong fuel smell.

Held up nicely, speaks well for M1 0w20AFE.

Warning: Amsoil blasphemy----> I might have to try it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Note: At the time of oil service, the oil was not registering on the dipstick.

So at least 2 from 4 quarts were consumed on a car with 25k miles? Did I miss anything?

Originally Posted By: timeau

So at least 2 from 4 quarts were consumed on a car with 25k miles? Did I miss anything?

I think it was just over 1 quart low. I remember draining out 3.25-3.5 qt.

Usually there is exactly one quart between MIN and MAX marks on a dipstick. What is a sump size on this Mazda?

Usually there is exactly one quart between MIN and MAX marks on a dipstick. What is a sump size on this Mazda?

4.5 qt

One of my in-laws bought a new 2013 Mazda3 Skyactive and went just over a year (5300 miles) on the FF. This included mostly short trip driving. I kept telling her to have the oil changed but it took a while for her to get around to it.

I checked her oil level a few times and I don't recall it being low so I think she's OK in that regard.

I considered this to be harsh treatment but after reading this post my s-I-l treats her car pretty good by comparison...

I think it's a good report. No oxidation/good tbn. The fuel could have a bit to do with the higher Al. Overall a good report. I'd use EP 0w20 over the AFE for this type of interval, but there probably won't be a significant difference. Someone posted a msds of the EP 0w20 and it showed to have more PAO in it. VOA also showed higher detergents.

"At the time of oil service, the oil was not registering on the dipstick."

It's common for folks to accidentally run an oc too long. It looks like as fuel evaporates it takes some oil with it.

Boo. I was switching to M1 0W20 to reduce consumption but it sounds like it is as bad as PP 0W20 in the skyactiv 2.0.

So far the only oil that didn't have measurable consumption was the Castrol OE 0W20 from the dealer. I really don't want to go back to castrol
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Boo. I was switching to M1 0W20 to reduce consumption but it sounds like it is as bad as PP 0W20 in the skyactiv 2.0.

So far the only oil that didn't have measurable consumption was the Castrol OE 0W20 from the dealer. I really don't want to go back to castrol
frown.gif

The OP said one qt was used in a 13K OCI. Do yo really consider that a problem?

That is odd. My 2012 Skyactiv oil level stays right at full for the entire OCI. I did the first two changes after 7,500 miles. I am currently on the second 10K interval with microGreen filters and the oil level remains at full. I have used both Mazda's 0W-20 and M1 AFE 0W-20.

Mobil recently did a test where they ran the car 2qts low, intentionally. I'm assuming they realize not everyone is going to top-off during the OCI, and that puts more stress on the oil.

Our Mazda 3, both the old and new, don't burn any noticeable oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back