Are automotive recalls ever closed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to another dealer.

A lot of the recalls for the G8 just involve programming, not actual replacement of parts.

Some dealers, particularly ones that did not carry Pontiac, do not like to see G8s and GTOs in their service departments.

A recall was still open for a 15 year old 97 Lumins LS i have a couple years ago

They replaced the entire rack & pinion almost a grand at their cost

I get recall notices for the same little plastic thing every 6 months, i even went there with the car and showed them the part doesn't even exist on this engine anymore.
It was replaced with an high quality machined aluminum part years ago because it looked iffy then.

No matter i still get them like clockwork. One last week in fact.
As i understand it to close it they have to remove the part from inventory or order the part and write it in the RO.

That would mean taking my part off putting some piece of tin on, wasting 45 min then sending me on my way just to go a put the part back on.

Any other way has huge legal implications.

I had a recall done on our 2006 Durango early this year. I had first contacted Chrysler to see if the recall applied to my Durango and it did. They were great to deal with, offered to set up the appointment with my dealer of choice (I declined and did it myself), and even followed up to make certain I was pleased with the results (I was).

You may consider going directly to GM customer service and inquire about the status of the recall for that vehicle.

Try another dealership. I'll bet it's just that particular shop. I ran into the same problem with my wife's Pontiac G6. One dealership looked at me like I had 3 heads and told me I had to pay out of pocket. I promptly left and told them they will hear back regarding their practices. I drove ten minutes down to another dealership and they knew about every recall and took my car in immediately! I told them about the previous dealership and they contacted GM Canada for me to log the complaint and GM Canada called the previous dealership. Don't know what the outcome was but I will never go back there.

I also received a letter a couple of weeks ago for recall #12221A for the electronic power steering module. It has been extended for the life of the vehicle.

I have to give it to GM for their customer support. But the dealerships are a hit and miss. Find a good one and stick with them. Good luck with the recalls.

P.s. that G8 is one fine car! I hope she enjoys it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KawasakiGuy
I also received a letter a couple of weeks ago for recall #12221A for the electronic power steering module. It has been extended for the life of the vehicle.

With Ford, that type of recall, where the warranty coverage is extended, will only come into play when the vehicle is exhibiting the concern. You can't just go in and make them put in a new rack because it is Tuesday and you feel like it. There has to be a problem for them to perform the repair. What you don't see is when that claim is submitted to GM to be paid. If your I's are not dotted and T's crossed perfectly it will be rejected and the dealer is out the money for the repair.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: KawasakiGuy

With Ford, that type of recall, where the warranty coverage is extended, will only come into play when the vehicle is exhibiting the concern. You can't just go in and make them put in a new rack because it is Tuesday and you feel like it. There has to be a problem for them to perform the repair. What you don't see is when that claim is submitted to GM to be paid. If your I's are not dotted and T's crossed perfectly it will be rejected and the dealer is out the money for the repair.

True,it actually states it in the letter that the car has to be exhibiting the problem in order to have the repair work done. The OP stated that's what his friend has been experiencing. Just letting him know that the recall is open and should be covered :)

I think if it is a mandated safety recall, the lawful time limit is very long, like 20 years, essentially as long as the car is considered useful. I had one done and it was about 15 years but it was a life threatening, federally mandated safety recall.

by this I mean once the recall is issued, they might have a long time to get it done, not that they might issue a recall on a 20 year old car.

If is something other, like a TSB or warranty extension that is totally different.

There may be some legal loopholes that allow a manufacturer to deny a claim after some reasonable period, like they no longer have the parts and it is unreasonable for them to make more, but look at the GM ignition switch recall, they are going back quite a few years and having to make new switches just for that application.

Decades ago, I had a '76 Mustang II with the 302/C4 tranny. I remember getting a recall notice in the mail stating that the cooling fan could fly apart and cause injury. IIRC, it stated right on the recall that somebody had been killed by an exploding fan.
I never did take this in for the recall and this same car is in my nephew's garage. What do you think the odds are that Ford would still honor this? I bet the odds are zero.
I also had an '88 Mercury Cougar, purchased new by me, that had an ignition switch recall. The ignition switch failed on me after the warranty had expired but before I had received the recall notice. It had been replaced at a Ford dealer while I was traveling through another state on vacation. (I remember the car would stay running ONLY if I had the ignition switch very near the "start" position) Ford, or in this case, my nearest Ford dealer, wouldn't honor the recall because their records showed that it had been replaced, but they also wouldn't give me my money back that I had to spend to have it replaced. Quite the irony....

I have had cars come in for recalls where the part to perform the recall is obsolete. In that case, we call Ford's Recall Hotline and they note it in their system and close the recall.

On all the new recalls there is a provision for a customer to seek financial reimbursement from Ford if they paid to have the recall performed. What is funny though is they only refund at warranty parts and labor rate if the repair was not performed at a dealer. So if someone went to one of those shops in the middle of nowhere on the way to Vegas from LA, they will only get a partial refund.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So if someone went to one of those shops in the middle of nowhere on the way to Vegas from LA, they will only get a partial refund.

Not just the shops in the middle of nowhere. No self-respecting mechanic would charge Ford's warranty labor rates. Not and be able to stay in business!

Yes, they do close. There are still some open recalls on very old vehicles, and there are some that are closed. Depends on the recall. I have a 1998 Malibu that is part of the GM ignition recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back