How often to change anti-freeze/coolant????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stevejones
I have a '99 S10. Never changed the coolant in 191K. Runs like a champ. The body, on the other hand, is falling apart in my driveway....

you're quite lucky you never had a heater core or radiator problem

I was taught to replace the old green stuff every year.

As for long life coolants, I change them every 3 years. Most of the time when I see coolant that is 4 years old, it is putrid.

Changing coolant more often the OEM specs is worthwhile. Most engine repairs I have encountered are caused by not changing the coolant when needed.

the comparison to changing coolant often compared to a plugged heater core or other damage is why it's cheap insurance. This shouldn't need to be explained here

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
the comparison to changing coolant often compared to a plugged heater core or other damage is why it's cheap insurance. This shouldn't need to be explained here

I understand that. However, the primary reason traditionally for plugged heater cores as a result of deferred coolant maintenance was that the silicates gelled out. It probably was a good idea to change it every year at a time when Prestone in the yellow bottle was the #1 seller.

Even back when Honda wasn't using an extended-life coolant, they used a product that had no silicates, but was high in phosphate corrosion inhibitors. The main caveat to using that stuff in the concentrated form was to cut it with distilled or deionized water.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I change mine every year and I mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

Much to often...and much to soon. A complete waste of coolent and $$$.

I changed the FF (long life pink) in my Toyota at 5 years and it looked like new.
I stayed with the pink pre-mix, so it's a simple drain and fill.
Toyota says initial at 7 years and every 5 years after.

I've had Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant in my 04 Camry for four years now and it seems to keep the cooling system in as good of condition as the original Toyota Pink. Getting ready to change coolant this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back