Oil recommendation - 2013 Dodge Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Service Mgr @ the Dealer of my New 5.7L Hemi had NO issues with me draining the FF @ 1500 miles and pouring in M1. He himself is a Sports Car Fanatic and Knows the Quality of M1 and uses it himself.

Since I believe whole heartedly that most engine wear occurs at start up & The 5.7L is Easy on Oil! It was a No Brainer to pour in 0W-20 -->{M1}

Ok, so after a little research and an ounce of common sense, I've come to my own conclusion. BMW M Series engines, Audi engines, and Bugatti engines all spec 40w oils, at a minimum. Bugatti specs a 60w oil. I highly doubt Chrysler has designed an engine that has tighter specs and tolerances than any super-car on the market. So, my conclusion is the 20w recommended is only for fuel mileage purposes and not for protection. The Dart is now running on a diet of 5w30 syn and is actually running better than ever. It is butter smooth. I am seeing a 1 mpg average decrease but I can live with that. Thanks for everyone's input.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
Ok, so after a little research and an ounce of common sense, I've come to my own conclusion. BMW M Series engines, Audi engines, and Bugatti engines all spec 40w oils, at a minimum. Bugatti specs a 60w oil. I highly doubt Chrysler has designed an engine that has tighter specs and tolerances than any super-car on the market. So, my conclusion is the 20w recommended is only for fuel mileage purposes and not for protection. The Dart is now running on a diet of 5w30 syn and is actually running better than ever. It is butter smooth. I am seeing a 1 mpg average decrease but I can live with that. Thanks for everyone's input.

SAE viscosity means little to an Euro car maker.It is only used for marketing purposes. It's all about HTHS values really. If you want your Dodge to last forever use Euro specd M1 0w40 or GC in your car.

This story of engine tolerances are myth. Tighter tolerances are the small precise, high revv motorcycle engines. And most use thick oil, water cooled is 10w40 air cooled use 20w50. Let's put this "tolerance to weight" ratio talk to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back