Does anybody clean there oil filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I thought I was the only one. I noticed the black grime too. I now wash all of mine is the washing machine and then allow to air dry for a few days.

Suck and blow? Filters in the closet? Just what kind of thread is this anyway?

If my filters come out of the closet after a month, it won't be rust I'll be checking for.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
since this is BITOG, I will ask this, am I weird to think you guys are overly obsessive about the weirdest little things?

After rebuilding my engines and them not burning oil anymore, I'm confident that that as long as I put some name brand synthetics in there, not only am I not touching the oil for 10k, I'm not gonna be doing weird things like this...

I love BITOG, but there are actually a lot of really weird people on here, I'm glad you guys exist and overly maintain your vehicle enough to bring down the cost of vehicle maintenance.
Whatever gives them the butterflies in their stomach and makes them sleep well at night.

I just lick mine and run my tongue down the center tube
That usually works
Ultras taste the best
Welcome to OCD land

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
since this is BITOG, I will ask this, am I weird to think you guys are overly obsessive about the weirdest little things?

After rebuilding my engines and them not burning oil anymore, I'm confident that that as long as I put some name brand synthetics in there, not only am I not touching the oil for 10k, I'm not gonna be doing weird things like this...

I love BITOG, but there are actually a lot of really weird people on here, I'm glad you guys exist and overly maintain your vehicle enough to bring down the cost of vehicle maintenance.

Celica, I agree, when people ask me about oil, I tell them as long as it meets API and ILSAC standards they will be just fine. (Even some outside are fine too, but a discussion for another thread). My father is a mechanic and has been working on vehicles since before Vietnam. He tells the average American the same thing..

OP, if it were me, I'd just wipe the filter with a rag before you install it.

Last edited:
^ What Timo said, I love this site but some people just way overthink a simple oil change lol... don't understand people spending so much money on oil and filters then they sell the car before it hits 100k. (or completely neglect to maintain other aspects of the vehicle).

But back on topic, I think it is a good idea to wipe the filter threads, I usually find a little bit of leftover assembly shavings in there.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
^ What Timo said, I love this site but some people just way overthink a simple oil change lol... don't understand people spending so much money on oil and filters then they sell the car before it hits 100k. (or completely neglect to maintain other aspects of the vehicle).

But back on topic, I think it is a good idea to wipe the filter threads, I usually find a little bit of leftover assembly shavings in there.

Keep in mind motor oil is an emotional hobby at we try to use logic to explain but often fail.
smile.gif

Your point is right on however. Being hospital clean when servicing an engine is a good thing I agree.

wow ... 17 years of changing my own oil
with nearly a half-a-million miles accumulated across half a dozen cars
with well over 100 oil changes spread across dozens of vehicles

and in all of that time ...

i thought i was being anal-retentive because i pre-fill my filters with a little oil before i install them, take note of the filter logos so i can get 1/2 to 3/4 turn tight, and wipe the smudges off the outside of the can before i walk away ...

i had no idea people like ya'all existed.

Yes, I do clean mine before putting them on most of the time. The base plates can get surprisingly filthy, whether from dust/debris or manufacturing.

Picking #@*% with the chickens. That's what my war department calls it. Maybe so but our vehicle has never left her stranded out in the middle of the corn fields.

save for one fuel pump issue ... none of my cars have ever left me stranded anywhere.

and even the failing fuel pump got me back home... just had to let it cool down for a while every couple hours.

FWIW, the "i've never had a problem" theory works for indifferent as well as it does the fastidious.

to me. this level of attention to detail is far beyond that which is necessary.

obviously, though, YMMV

Originally Posted By: meborder
wow ... 17 years of changing my own oil
with nearly a half-a-million miles accumulated across half a dozen cars
with well over 100 oil changes spread across dozens of vehicles

and in all of that time ...

i thought i was being anal-retentive because i pre-fill my filters with a little oil before i install them, take note of the filter logos so i can get 1/2 to 3/4 turn tight, and wipe the smudges off the outside of the can before i walk away ...

i had no idea people like ya'all existed.

I've always liked how the Napa filters have 4 numbers on the can, and a number below showing the corresponding number you should turn to.

I always visually inspect each filter before putting it on. I simply have never run into metal shavings or other debris beyond light dust. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Doesn't the filtered oil go up the center tube? So if crud is on the base plate, won't it be filtered anyway? If so, not sure there is much point in cleaning the base plate.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Doesn't the filtered oil go up the center tube? So if crud is on the base plate, won't it be filtered anyway? If so, not sure there is much point in cleaning the base plate.

It's important to clean up debris around the center hole threads and anything that might be down in the center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back