What should I use

Status
Not open for further replies.
for my 2013 GC Pentastar 3.6?

M1, M1 advanced fuel economy, or Pennzoil Platinum? 0w-20 or 5w-20? All are the same price at WM, $22.88/5gal. jug..
Yearly OC coming soon.. Must be prepared.....

Decisions, Decisions....

The local WM oil isle is stocked full. Never seen so much oil in one place. Feeling a little light headed. Had to set down for a moment.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

M1, M1 advanced fuel economy, or Pennzoil Platinum? 0w-20 or 5w-20? All are the same price at WM, $22.88/5gal. jug..

If you're considering 0W-20 and your owner's manual doesn't allow for that grade, you seem to not be concerned about warranty implications. If that is the case, then I see ZERO reason to buy 5W-20 in any of these oils instead of the generally morer-better 0W-20. You (and I) don't live in cold winter climates, but 0W-20 is closer to the intended operational viscosity than 5W-20 is at nearly any cold start temperature. I see no benefit to buying 5W-20 if you're going to buy synthetic anyway. UNLESS you are concerned about the warranty (which I presume you to not be).

Now...if you were considering $23 0W-20 vs. $13 5W-20...then that's something else.

IIRC the Mobil products don't meet the Chrysler MS6395 spec. So if you're under warranty that might be something worth considering.

Chrysler MS6395 still has some good oils in it. Valvoline Synpower has a 0w20 and there is a chart somewhere that says i meets the spec. I'll try to dig that up.

Edit: Here is the chart. It seems to show their 0w20 meets the requirement for the spec and I don't know of another 0w20 that does. Could be a typo by them, who knows? Either way I would use it no problem.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

The WM near me has installed a BITOG oxygen mask on a pole in the oil section - thought I might have to use it once or twice after hyper ventilating in front of the SOPUS oil offering !!
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Decisions, Decisions....

The local WM oil isle is stocked full. Never seen so much oil in one place. Feeling a little light headed. Had to set down for a moment.

Wayne

0w-whatever oils are the future. For about the same price what's not to like?

If the Valvoline 0w-20 meets the spec then your search is completed.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
0w-whatever oils are the future. For about the same price what's not to like?

If the Valvoline 0w-20 meets the spec then your search is completed.

The Valvoline was $27.95, too expensive. The Motorcraft at $24.95 was less.

38k miles now so no warranty issues. So I bought one of each. Got oil for 4 years/changes now. My current fill is PP 5w-20. I think I'll alternate oils, when the OLM pops, I'll use the M1 5w-20, next time the PP 5w-20, then M1 0w-20, and lastly, the PP 0w-20.

crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Wayne

Your powertrain warranty goes to 100k for your expenisve variable pressure oil pump. They aren't know to have issues but just saying technically parts touching oil are under warranty until 5 years/100k and I'd be using MS6395 cert oils until then.

I know I am. You probably wont have any issues but I have lemon lawed a VW in the past and I tell you I'm glad I covered all the bases because they tried to get dirty and blame everything from the fuel to the oil and I had every receipt.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Your powertrain warranty goes to 100k for your expenisve variable pressure oil pump. They aren't know to have issues but just saying technically parts touching oil are under warranty until 5 years/100k and I'd be using MS6395 cert oils until then.

That's interesting, I can't find anything that says that in the owners manual. Do you have a pointer to that info?

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Havoline Synthetic 5W-20 is spec'd MS-6395. Advance Auto has it on sale frequently with a filter for $19.99 for 5 quarts.

Whimsey

Good to know. Thanks, I haven't been to AAP in some time, not since the old guy named Charles left.

Wayne

If those are your 2 choices You can't go wrong with either.

Like stated above if $$$ is No Concern? Pick one and stick with it. Both have shown Excellent Results in all situations.

Search around for the lowest price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back