Fishing trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my cup of tea, but those old VW Sambas have some significant value to them. A friend of ours was in Texas last year and tried to buy a rusted out, windowless hulk for $20,000 and the owner wouldn't sell it to him. It would have cost him around $50,000 to restore it, and he said that he would have been able to sell it for a significant profit despite having $70,000 or $80,000 into it.

A nicely restored 1963 Type 2 sold for $126,000 last year at a Barrett-Jackson auction. In 2011 another 1963 sold for $217,000.

Again, not something that interests me, but there apparently is a collector market for them and the asking price may not be unreasonable.

"Total factory sunroof microbus production for North American export was approximately 300-400 units in 1956. This is the rarest 23-window microbus to come for sale in over a decade. It is absolutely exceptional in every way."

95% OE and NOS parts.

Plus an older generation coming into real spending and hobby mode that associated those with their youth.

Neat specimen.

I've owned 11 bus's and maybe I should have kept a few. I've owned a 23 and 21 window bus and put a Corvette engine with a Corvair tranny in a 58 bus with the engine ahead of the rear wheels. I've driven them all over North America including Alaska, Canada the US and Mexico. I never would have guessed that they would ever become worth collecting for the kind of money I see being spent at various auctions. This one on EBAY is a bit over the top for an asking price.

Too bad we can't get more of these cars. Brazil only recently stopped producing them. If our importation laws were easier we could have essentially brand new VW buses at affordable prices.
$200,000 makes this an affluent hippie liberal's garage queen.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Too bad we can't get more of these cars. Brazil only recently stopped producing them. If our importation laws were easier we could have essentially brand new VW buses at affordable prices.
$200,000 makes this an affluent hippie liberal's garage queen.

yes, don't we all yearn for those underpowered death traps.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
"An' eleven long-haired Friends a' Jesus
In a chartreuse micra-bus"

I know that song! Showing your age there! very 1970's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back