Picked up a 2015 Acura TLX V6 Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the lease on my TSX coming to an end I took advantage of a good promotional offer for returning customers on the new Acura TLX.

Before deciding on the V6 I read all of the reviews and thought for sure the "more nimble" I4 would be the car for me. After driving both twice to be sure it was the V6. The I4 just felt like it was working too hard and not as eager to rev. as the I4 in my TSX (I'm thinking it has to do with the addition of DI). The V6, in contrast was silky smooth and the power poured on as you depress the throttle. In the end I couldn't justify paying $3X,XXXk for the I4 so it was the V6 without a doubt, felt like a proper luxury car. What's more is the V6, even with the extra weight up front, managed to corner exactly as well as my TSX which was definitely good enough for me.

The car is the quietest Acura I've ever driven and I've driven them all, including the RLX. They sprayed acoustic foam in 10 different body cavities to really stop noise and dampen vibrations. The results are remarkable.

There's a ton of technology in the car and I'll have to get used to all of the menus and options but it's something I look forward to (just do it while parked so you don't crash). I thought the Jewel Eye LED headlights were somewhat of a cool styling gimmic but I was surprised when a noticeable difference was apparent. The light is very intense and clean.

The style of this car is the most cohesive of any modern Acura. All elements tie into each other on all sides of the car and even the front end now looks quite attractive (go look at the Lexus spindle thing).

All in all Acura has made a very competent car here. It's a clear step up in refinement, technology, and style and will appeal to many buyers as an outstanding value in a luxury/entry luxury sporty sedan. Happy to answer any questions.

TLX1_zpsfd4ed716.jpg

Last edited:
The local Acura dealer has one of those plastidipped yellow on their front lawn
laugh.gif
targeting a specific demographic

Is that Luster Grey Metallic?

The V6 no longer comes in manual, come to think of it, I TLX does not come with manual at all.

Good call on the V6 over the 4. You might as well save a ton and buy an Accord if you go 4 cylinder.

Awesome choice. I know you'll love it. Keep us posted.

Fingers crossed that a Type S model comes out!

I never could understand the reason of getting a car like this with a 4cyl. Might as well settle for an ILX and not over-work the little motor

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The 5 segment LED lamps in my folks' new MDX are really stunning. The forward lighting is simply fantastic.

I was wondering how much of a gimmick that was. Im no fan of the look, but glad there is functionality there at least.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
The I4 just felt like it was working too hard and not as eager to rev. as the I4 in my TSX (I'm thinking it has to do with the addition of DI).

When I was buying my 135i, I first was looking at the 128 convertibles. After all, my 318i is like 138hp and is more than perfect for my substantial driving between Boston and Richmond.

Now the 128i was regular injection and the 135i is DI. I found exactly the opposite. I could drive the 135i with less throttle, and more gently (and 32 MPG highway routinely proves it) than the 128, yet it was more eager to get up and go than the 128. So I had attributed it to DI being a bit better in that regard. Of course turbo helps, but I was trying to assess without the turbo coming too much into play...

Ill bet it all comes to gearing ratios or something else. Modern I4s propel large heavy cars better than V6 or V8 engines did for similar masses a few generations ago.

Good luck with the car!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Isn't this the one with the 9 speed auto?

The 4-cylinder is a 9-speed, yes.

Originally Posted By: dparm

According to acura.com, the 4-cyl comes with an 8-speed DCT while the 6-cyl comes with a 9-speed auto.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

According to acura.com, the 4-cyl comes with an 8-speed DCT while the 6-cyl comes with a 9-speed auto.

My bad, thanks for catching that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My bad, thanks for catching that.

Correct, the 9AT is sourced from ZF. A smart move on Acura's part IMO because most other luxury car mfrs. source their transmissions from ZF with good results. I will say, however, that the 8DCT in the I4 shifts like lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back