Destination LE/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy is changing the tires(Michelin Latitude - 225-65-17) on his '11 Equinox LS, 2WD, 4 cyl. I suggested that he tries the Firestone Destination LE/2's as their reviews are great, he wants better winter traction w/o using dedicated snow/ice tires and still want to maintain the good ride.

He usually buys online w/W*M install(as do most in our circle) but this time, he wants to go to the Firestone Service Center not far from home. He also want them to install new brake pads...Firestone uses Wagner TQ ceramic's. A good choice!

Anyway, the Firestone Store currently has only the "H" Speed Rated LE/2's in stock in his size(above) and they're not sure if they can get the "T" speed rated tire in at the time of his appointment. His size does come in both speed ratings.

Time is of the essence here!...He wants new tire & brakes before winter and his wife has been very ill with lot of hospital visits(keep her in prayer please).

I had suggested that he only gets the "T" rated tires as this is what came on his Equinox. But, as I stated, time is very important here(appt. this Saturday) so, he is willing to take the "H" rated tires even though they may[MAY] ride a bit firmer than the "T"'s. How much firmer...IDK!

Does anyone have any experience with the LE/2's ***in both speed ratings*** or know more than I have found through searching(not much)?

Most of the folks in our circle, that are using LE's or LE/2's, just love'em regardless of speed rating!

Can you folks add anything to this?

Thanks,

CB
smile.gif

I started with Michelin Cross Terrains on my then new 03 V8 4Runner. They were good tires and lasted 88K miles. I replaced them with Michelin Latitudes. Big mistake. They took a lot of weight to balance. Had tread separations and uneven wear with no alignment problems. Discount Tire helped. 2 tires replaced because of defects then a third. They offered a generous trade in but it ended up cheaper to go to Firestone Destination LE/2's, H rated tires on sale at Evan's Tire. So far, so good. 20K miles, smooth and quiet like the original Cross Terrains. If these tires are an example of the new improved Firestone tires then I'm going to continue being a Firestone customer.

By the way, my driving is in Southern California and Arizona, hot, desert and really, really slippery when it finally rains and very little if any snow. So, it's mostly high speed highway and slow bumpy dirt roads.

The H rated tire would be considered to be the 'better' tire as compared to the T. I've had excellent experience with two sets of now T rated Yoko Avid Touring S on a Civic EX, which came with H rated based apparently on 12 more hp than the LX with T rated tires. I have no reluctance to use the T rated Yokos.

That said, having read CapriRacer here many times on the subject, he always recommends the H rated tire over the T. In fact if I've read him correctly, it's his opinion that H rated should now be the minimum rating. Based on that, your buddy could go with H rated with no worries. Not sure that helps, but I'd be very confident with the H rated if the T are unavailable.

H rated is usually a good thing. Its not like hes getting z-rated sports tires.

some T-rated tires dont have a nylon cap ply. All H-rated do.

If they would do H rated for the T-price I'd jump on it.

The H-rated tire should be fine. I'm not sure why Firestone even offers the T-rated one, unless it's an OEM tire on something (in which case, he may not want it anyway). The Toyota RAV4 takes this size in an H speed rating, so that vehicle kind of sets the thermostat in terms of speed ratings for tires offered in this size. You're starting to see a number of new tires in this size being offered in the higher speed rating to cover all customers.

How many miles did he get out of his OE Latitudes?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The H-rated tire should be fine. I'm not sure why Firestone even offers the T-rated one, unless it's an OEM tire on something (in which case, he may not want it anyway). The Toyota RAV4 takes this size in an H speed rating, so that vehicle kind of sets the thermostat in terms of speed ratings for tires offered in this size. You're starting to see a number of new tires in this size being offered in the higher speed rating to cover all customers.

Hokie...what changed? I did not buy these tires based on your comments and photos you posted in my post about these tires here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3355061/Searchpage/1/Main/216418/Words/Firestone/Search/true/Re:_Firestone_Destination_LE2%27#Post3355061

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn

Hokie...what changed? I did not buy these tires based on your comments and photos you posted in my post about these tires here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3355061/Searchpage/1/Main/216418/Words/Firestone/Search/true/Re:_Firestone_Destination_LE2%27#Post3355061

I don't mean to speak for him, but after reading both posts I think his answer in this thread is about T vs H, not necessarily his opinions on LE2's.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: mcrn

I don't mean to speak for him, but after reading both posts I think his answer in this thread is about T vs H, not necessarily his opinions on LE2's.

Glock....My apologies! I think you are right!

Last edited:
That's correct: my comments were directed at the difference between the H and the T speed rating. My opinion of the LE2 hasn't changed.

Right!
smile.gif

I like and recommend the LE/2's to others and have driven many vehicles(mainly SUV's) of those whom I associate with. They're a nice tire and those folks love'em, including the ownership of them til their worn out.

My concern is between the two speed ratings, the "T" & "H". That's all!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Bought a set of LE2's in January 2014. They were difficult to balance properly, and had to be "Road Force Balanced" for acceptable results. Also they have a very "FIRM" ride. Other than that they are OK.

That's correct: my comments were directed at the difference between the H and the T speed rating. My opinion of the LE2 hasn't changed.

Sorry Hokie....and just for the record I am happy you helped to talk me out of them. Char actually helped in my decision as well!

Last edited:

The Latitude's still have lots of tread at 40K miles. He just doesn't like them in the winter time and doesn't want to go through another winter with them. We'll sell'em on CL locally!

From the recommendation of myself and our circle of family/friends who have the Dest LE/2, he is going with them and, they're le$$ than the Michelin LTX M/S 2's, which is more tire than he needs or wants to $pend!

IDK what the exact remaining 32nds of tread is on the Lat's, I'd have to check for myself. My buddy is one for getting things done kind'a fast as time is of the essence in his case.

I think he'll do well with the Firestone Destination LE/2's although, an AWD is probably what he really needs
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I had a set of LE2's in my Blazer. I was extremely impressed with the winter traction. I almost never had to engage 4wd even in deep snow. Unfortunately I got rid of the car shortly after winter ended so I can't say much abut the tires other than that they are very good in snow.

Last edited:
Yes, winter traction is what my buddy is looking for. Although the OE Michelin Latitudes did give him superb MPG and he may miss that.

But, as I told him, there are other tires to consider such as some LRR tires from Continental & Bridgestone, for SUV's.

Ultimately, it's his choice and money!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, winter traction is what my buddy is looking for. Although the OE Michelin Latitudes did give him superb MPG and he may miss that.
He should bear in mind that my experience may be different from what he will experience. My Blazer had high profile tires with huge sidewalls on small 15 inch wheels. It was a fairly heavy vehicle riding on a narrow footprint. Most cars today travel on larger, lower profile tires and weigh less.

His 2WD, 4 cyl Equinox weighs in at >4000 lbs.
Maybe not as heavy as your Blazer but, heavy just the same! He realizes that there are some tradeoffs that he'll have to get used to though, these tradeoffs have yet to be discovered for his situation.

My real concern(just to reiterate) isn't weather the Firestone Destination LE/2's are a good tire,(we already know that they are), it's the difference in "Ride Quality" between the "T" & "H" speed ratings.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

But, as I told him, there are other tires to consider such as some LRR tires from Continental & Bridgestone, for SUV's.

Ultimately, it's his choice and money!

Firestone categorizes the LE/2 as the "best" in MPG for that style of tire that Firestone makes. It may not be as good as another brand but it is the best MPG tire Firestone makes for SUVs.

UPDATE:

Just go back from the Firestone Service Center having the Destination LE/2 installed in "H" Speed Rating. They're amazing! They're even 2 lbs psi over the door jamb inflation pressure which, my buddy will adjust.

He also had Firestone do an alignment. Now he's good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back