Smoke when stepping hard on gas after coasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
OP, you are in Mexico, right?

Originally Posted By: Dustained
Nissan GA16DE

Call around to Nissan dealerships, that engine is available brand new as a crate engine for $19000 pesos. There is no reason whatsoever to rebuild a GA16DE unless you want to do it for fun.

I've worked in the auto repair industry in Mexico for 5 years. I would never have an engine rebuilt here for the following reasons; lack of parts availability, lack of cleanliness in shop practices, lack of precision measuring and milling equipment, lack of knowledge, and dishonesty caused by the pressure of competing with dishonest competitores.

Recent case with one of my customers: Late nineties Suburban 5.7 Vortec, came to me for a second opinion, misfire and clatter on cylinder #1. After advising him it isn't my area of expertise, I did some basic diagnostics for free. I opined a stuck valve, about $15000 for a complete valve job. On teardown, the crooked mechanic found a broken connecting rod, and went ahead and rebuilt the engine anyway because it hadn't damaged the block much! The customer brought it to me afterwards for my opinion, it would barely run. The crooked mechanic wasn't even able to get the cam timing right when he put it back together!

Yes, the engine is available at Nissan dealerships at 19,000 Mexican pesos, about 1400 USD, but it's not the GA16DE, it's the GA16DNE, the Mexican version without the ECCS intake manifold and without the variable valve timing... and 10 less HP.
frown.gif

My engine:

dsc06410.jpg

Mexican version which is the one they sell here:

CIMG0881.jpg

The block is the same, but the valve train is totally different as the Mexican version lacks the longer camshaft where the hydraulic variable valve timing thingy resides.

Yes, I live on a plateau, the Yucatan peninsula, this thing is as flat as a dinner table for hundreds of miles. I drive in OD, and once the car reaches the desired speed on the highway, I don't need to move my foot at all.

Would your car be a Tsuru GS2000 then? The engine looks familiar.

Yes, Tsuru GST 1995. Nissan made the engine from 1992 to 1997, after that, Mexico started making the nerfed version, I have no idea why.

BTW, I truly appreciate everybody's input, though I'm still undecided as to opening the engine or not.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
that sounds like valve stem seals.

Worn valve stem seals will let oil into the combustion chamber after the engine is shut off and the car sits overnight. Worn piston rings will let oil into the combustion chamber when the engine is subjected to loads such as accelerating from a stop; accelerating from a cruising speed; or going up a grade.

At least you can have the valve guide seals done without removing the head. The mechanic should able to give you an idea of how the guides look and confirm the problem. The oil level is not showing much of a change because it takes very little oil to create smoke.

Yes, Tsuru GST 1995. Nissan made the engine from 1992 to 1997, after that, Mexico started making the nerfed version, I have no idea why.

I've got a 1995 Tsubame with your engine in it sitting in my shop today for suspension work. I've never payed much attention to them, I just figured they have an older injection system, I didn't know about the valvetrain differences.

I've got a 1995 Tsubame with your engine in it sitting in my shop today for suspension work. I've never payed much attention to them, I just figured they have an older injection system, I didn't know about the valvetrain differences.

Yes, the Nissan version of VVT in these engines, even though it is hydraulic and not computer controlled, really makes a difference from the non VVT version of the engine. You can feel how it kicks in at about 4000 RPM. It is a nice little engine.

Somehow my "Yup" above lost its quote. It refers to valve seals/guides being the cause

Last edited:
I just changed this thing right here, the rocker gasket:

RockerGasket.jpg

The old one was in pretty bad shape, like half the height of the new one and very stiff. BTW, after the rebuilding, the engine has never smoked after sitting overnight, not even when revving it high.

They didn't clean the valve cover when they rebuilt the engine? That looks terrible.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
They didn't clean the valve cover when they rebuilt the engine? That looks terrible.

Lol, that is not my cover. I took that pic from the link in this thread. I replaced the thing yesterday night and could take any pictures... Not that it is better than the one in the picture...
grin.gif

Sometimes an aftermarket PCV valve will open and close at the wrong times. That can lead to excess oil consumption.

What kind of PCV valve did your rebuilt engine get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back