Rockauto sent me the wrong part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the joys of shopping online... last week I bought some motor mounts for the MX-5. The parts arrived Monday, part numbers matched and parts were sealed. Great! Except not. The part must have been incorrectly listed for my application, because it is slightly dimensionally different, and all 3 locating 'nubs' that center the mount are in the wrong place. Evidently this also happened to another member on miata.net, with Rockauto, but with a Beck/Arnley part. He sent in some photos and got a return without paying return shipping (my goal). I sent RA some photos using their online return service, and I'm waiting to hear from them.

Bummer. That would be a downside to ordering stuff. Of course, you could be in a brick and mortar shop, and still get the wrong part--more unlikely, especially if you open the box to verify, but it's possible to get home and still find one bolt hole off or something. And you'd still have to drive back to exchange it.

They're really good about dealing with things like this. The same thing happened to me a few months back, and they took care of it by immediately overnighting the needed part to me. I was actually very happy with their customer service and will continue to use them in the future.

Yes, if it's RA's fault that you received the wrong part, they will give you a return ship NUMBER to ship the part back to them on their dime. If you ordered the incorrect part#, well, it's on your dime!

Hopefully they'll do the right thing and give you a full refund, plus a prepaid return label. I recently bought a PCV valve from O'Reilly and it would not fit in the vehicle, so I know how frustrating it is (albeit on a smaller scale).

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I had good luck with them in the past. I'm pretty sure they'll do you right.

Same here as well
smile.gif

You have to call them to express your extreme rage and dissatisfaction. A call might go like this. "I will never shop at your company again! I'm going to tell all of my friends not to shop there! I am going to contact the state Attorney General! I demand a refund! I want a discount too!"

When I bought camber bolts from them, I received 2 of the right part number ... but Moog placed the wrong one in the box and one was significantly larger. They shipped me a replacement for free!

I ordered an IAC valve for my Ford 2L Zetec. The one they had in their catalog said it fit the Zetec engine. It did not, it was for the 2L Mazda engine and totally different. They took it back and paid for the return shipping and reimbursed me for the original shipping charges also. I have found their customer service to be very good over these years.

Whimsey

I ordered an AC condenser for my Ranger from them. It was the correct part number, but it didn't come with any brackets or have any way of actually bolting it to the radiator support. I started the return process online and they wanted me to pay return shipping. I called them up and they paid for the return shipping without any hassle.

I've had the same experience with control arms I bought from them. They list the same part number for 1999-2004 cars, but some 2002-2004 cars had steel uprights and some had aluminum making for two different part numbers.

I called them and they stated that application info comes from the manufacturer, so they paid to have them shipped back and also paid overnight shipping of correct parts. They also removed the part from the wrong applications, but have since put the part back in. Oh well.

I am entertained by these types of threads. I regularly have customers scream at me when I ask for certain options their vehicle might be equipped with. They always come back with "they're all the same" well obviously not.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I am entertained by these types of threads. I regularly have customers scream at me when I ask for certain options their vehicle might be equipped with. They always come back with "they're all the same" well obviously not.

To my credit, all Miatas (excluding the MSM) from 90-05 all use the same motor mount. No differences.

I've walked out of the [censored] chain stores i.e. Autozone, etc with the wrong part from them more often than ordering from RockAuto.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
You have to call them to express your extreme rage and dissatisfaction. A call might go like this. "I will never shop at your company again! I'm going to tell all of my friends not to shop there! I am going to contact the state Attorney General! I demand a refund! I want a discount too!"

Absolutely NOT my experience.
I ordered some CV half-shafts from them awhile back. The ones I received were for a car with ABS (and they had the sensor rings) My car does not have abs and the ones that I received did not fit. The part numbers on the boxes were correct, but the parts inside were not. I explained it all in an email and they made everything correct and apologized for it even though it was not their fault. They sent me the new shafts on their dime and the wrong parts were sent back with prepaid shipping.
However, I ordered a rack and pinion from a local auto parts store and they made me visit there three times (closest auto parts store is a half hour away from me) before I got some results on some bushings that should have been included with the unit, but the factory conveniently forgot to install them. This is the same store that made me wait 45 minutes to receive an alternator core because their computer was down, although the store manager told me many times that they owed me money for the core, it's just that the computer wouldn't let them release my money.

My post was in jest, Kruse.
wink.gif
I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with RockAuto.

My bad. It's been a long day and I guess I just didn't read your post as a joke. Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Kruse
My post was in jest, Kruse.
wink.gif
I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with RockAuto.

My bad. It's been a long day and I guess I just didn't read your post as a joke. Cheers!

And many more your way bro. It's been a long day for all of us. I lost some money in the stock market. I could use one.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back