TGMO too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, really? Come on, your engine specs the weight and you're using it. Are you not getting the answers you're looking for in this thread?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Would the TGMO be ok to run in Chicago summer, or do you prefer something thicker? I am guessing I can run it all over, but wanted to ask a follow up.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: asharris7
They don't, but only the Honda Canada is thin like tgmo

But the engines are the same, so that wouldn't bother me
smile.gif

Exactly, and in Europe the Castrol made Honda 0W-20 also is formulated with a very low KV40 spec' and high 220 VI.

In NA TGMO is the cheapest and most readily available of high VI 0W-20s so it's an easy preferred choice.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What protection might it sacrifice?

However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE.

Bloke from Ford nails it at about the 1 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4B6Aw3Ej4o

Viscosity is deemed adequate at normal operating conditions and temperatures, then it's adequate...which it certainly is, and is certainly what Honda say about their oils/designs.

If you stay on the safe side of normal, no excursions into overheat, not prolonged loads up steep inclines on your daily commute, then there's no inadequate outcomes from an adequate viscosity.

There's nothing optimal about using an extra MPG to provide increased protection for an engine that will have the car crashed or thrown away around it.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What protection might it sacrifice?

However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE.

Bloke from Ford nails it at about the 1 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4B6Aw3Ej4o

Viscosity is deemed adequate at normal operating conditions and temperatures, then it's adequate...which it certainly is, and is certainly what Honda say about their oils/designs.

If you stay on the safe side of normal, no excursions into overheat, not prolonged loads up steep inclines on your daily commute, then there's no inadequate outcomes from an adequate viscosity.

There's nothing optimal about using an extra MPG to provide increased protection for an engine that will have the car crashed or thrown away around it.

You gotta feel for this guy from Australia who has an irrational aversion to 20 grade oils. Normally he dismisses introduction to motor oil blurbs like the Motorcraft one as fluff as it is full of incorrect outdated assumptions.

When a manufacturer spec's an oil grade it is not just to deal with normal driving conditions but also the most extreme usage an owner will subject the vehicle to including taking it to the track in the case of sportier models that still spec' the 20 grade.
So run the lightest oil the manufacturer suggests with the knowledge that you'll be maximizing engine life if you maintain the car correctly including periodically checking the oil level between OCIs and topping up to the full level if necessary.

Also remember all oil is too thick at less than operating temperature, so if you short trip you may never even reach the specified viscosity. The only people with valid concerns would be people who run their engine at high load and speed constantly.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The only people with valid concerns would be people who run their engine at high load and speed constantly.

Agreed, but here's the thing; even if you do, with all the safety management systems in place in vehicles today, you'll never test the viscosity reserve limits of the recommended oil.
So while that concern may have been justified in the past, today
it really is a non issue.

But old habits die hard and I'm sure this question will come up for the foreseeable future, particularly as more manufacturers start specifying 0W-20 and even 0W-16 grade oils.

Unless your Owner's Manual says: ...recommends 0W-20 except for TGMO, you're in the clear to use it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Unless your Owner's Manual says: ...recommends 0W-20 except for TGMO, you're in the clear to use it.
thumbsup2.gif

Or it calls for a specific manufacturer approval (which it doesn't)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think TGMO would be fine in any application which calls for 0w20.
OTOH, while I might try Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in an app. that called for 5w30, I wouldn't try TGMO there.

This...when I got Kitacam and considered what syn oil to use, the dealer was VERY happy I decided to stick with factory spec'd 5w-30...and NOT TGMO 0w-20...too thin they said.

Perhaps a stupid question. Trying to decide on an oil for my 14 Accord EX-L. Narrowed down to M1EP, AFE, or TGMO. All solid choices, but TGMO intrigues me. However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE. Again, maybe this is a stupid concern, but I'd like opinions before I choose. I plan on having this car for a long time, so I want to choose a very good oil for this car. Thanks.

EVERYONE plans on keeping their new car " a long time..."

Most don't...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: pbm
I think TGMO would be fine in any application which calls for 0w20.
OTOH, while I might try Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in an app. that called for 5w30, I wouldn't try TGMO there.

This...when I got Kitacam and considered what syn oil to use, the dealer was VERY happy I decided to stick with factory spec'd 5w-30...and NOT TGMO 0w-20...too thin they said.

Off Topic.
This thread is about using TGMO 0W-20 in a 2014 Honda spec'd for he 0W-20 grade.
If you want to start a new thread as to why you're dealer recommends 5W-30 although Toyota has back-dated to 0W-20 for the '05 Camry why don't you.

it seems that ford in europe thinks so, 5-20 in usa but 5-30 in europe, same engines, not worried about a quarter MPG but longevity!!

The "longevity" argument is poo as there are millions of Ford engines running hundreds of thousands of miles in the USA.

Originally Posted By: benjy
it seems that ford in europe thinks so, 5-20 in usa but 5-30 in europe, same engines, not worried about a quarter MPG but longevity!!

Longevity and fuel economy are not mutually exclusive. Secondly, Europe is changing and will continue to change, just like everywhere else. To think that Europe only uses A3/B4 lubes is about as silly as thinking North Americans still only use 10w-30.

Also acceptable 0W30

Yet in the marine version, Honda specify "obsolete" 10W30...surely, for maximum protection, in what's a very, very expensive toy, they would specify a viscosity index in the 200s minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back