Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to name the next release Windows 10 instead of Windows 9? As far as I know the next release is Windows 9. And Microsoft has a habit of releasing a bad operating system, than a good one, and the next one will be bad, and the next one good. They sort of alternate between good and bad. Windows ME bad, Windows XP good (for the time), Windows Vista bad, Windows 7 good, Windows 8 bad (actually not bad with Start8, third party software), and hopefully Windows 9 good. So unless they skip Windows 9 and go directly to Windows 10, I would check out Windows 10 really carefully.

Last edited:
I lost count with Windows, wasn't there a windows 8, then 8.1? Maybe they figured 8.1 was like 9, so they're calling the next version Windows 10, besides Windows 10 sounds better than Windows 9, at least from a marketing POV. LOL

Windows 10 does sound better, but the last I heard the next release will be Windows 9.

They apparently will have the Start Menu again for desktop computers with a keyboard and a mouse. That will make me very happy, along with any other improvements.

Windows 8/8.1 was good with the Start8 third party software. I think Microsoft has got rid of most of the executives who were behind the removal of the Start Menu.

On tablet computers with a touch screen there will still not be a Start Menu. Unless it comes up if a keyboard and mouse are hooked up to the computer-that might be a possibility.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Windows 10 does sound better, but the last I heard the next release will be Windows 9.

Windows 9 is Windows 10. The naming was announced today. It will be Windows 10.

That is really interesting. I wonder why they decided to skip the Windows 9 name? Oh well, I like the Windows 10 name better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
restarting isn't rocket surgery...

Maybe not. But, as I said, I didn't go to my Win7 machine to Google it because I figured...how hard can it be?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Let me Google that for you!

Linky no worky (no search terms, just blank dialog box).

My own Google revealed this:
1) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)
2) Tap or click Power, and then tap or click Shut down.

It's still stupid. Why would MS hide something as essential as the shutdown command behind obscure swipes and menus? Dumb dumb dumb. And dumb.

They apparently will have the Start Menu again for desktop computers with a keyboard and a mouse.

I hope non-touch laptops will be given the same thing.

Windows 8/8.1 was good with the Start8 third party software.

Oho! This looks interesting. Will run this past my daughter. Thanks for the heads-up.
Link to Start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Start8 from Stardock completely and permanently fixes the UI of Windows 8/8.1. Should one have to spend 5 bucks to fix something Microsoft should have done right to begin with? No, probably not. But the reality is, the UI is an easy fix (and a free fix, if you use any of the other free products out there). We have 8.1 on our main desktop and it runs like a clock. 8 is faster than 7 and looks just like it with the Start8 software. I have zero complaints about 8 and 8.1. I have found no hardware incompatibility with printers and such...and we're using an older Canon printer that we bought during the days of the XP/Vista switchover, so it's not really a modern printer. It just works.

I probably won't beta test Windows 10, but will be glad to install it when it's RTM.

Still hoping to find a Tandem coffee cup in some old data center someday.

I've noticed a few in different places. Not sure if they are still there at the last place locally I knew that had one.

Seems customers are accomplishing the same with racks of inexpensive x86 hardware these days. Even our Exadata product runs on 1U and 2U X86 servers with the software "secret sauce" that makes them fast and reasonably reliable.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I'm no fan boy of any high tech device, but I switched over to Apple about three years ago and I'm still amazed at the totally reliable, absolutely trouble free nature of my Mac Mini.

I was a systems engineer for 28 years at Hewlett Packard, working on their mission critical mainframe systems (Tandem computers to those who may know about these systems). All of us were "gray beards" and had complete contempt for the Windows based "toy computers".

The Tandem NonStop computers could not be infected with a virus. The NonStop operating system made it impossible. The only way a malicious act could be done on a NonStop system was if a defined user purposely did damage, and even then there were many, many safeguards to prevent such an act.

With Windows, you can do anything you want so long as it's not explicitly prohibited. On the NonStop systems you can't do anything unless you are explicitly permitted.

Though the Mac is nowhere near as secure and robust as the NonStop systems, at least it shares a similar philosophy.

Scott

I have it running in a VirtualBox. I haven't tried to hack on the VirtualBox additions yet, so the integration with the host O/S is lacking.

I just want to remind folks that Solaris goes to 11. I do play with the occasional build of Solaris 12, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Start8 from Stardock completely and permanently fixes the UI of Windows 8/8.1. Should one have to spend 5 bucks to fix something Microsoft should have done right to begin with? No, probably not. But the reality is, the UI is an easy fix (and a free fix, if you use any of the other free products out there). We have 8.1 on our main desktop and it runs like a clock. 8 is faster than 7 and looks just like it with the Start8 software. I have zero complaints about 8 and 8.1. I have found no hardware incompatibility with printers and such...and we're using an older Canon printer that we bought during the days of the XP/Vista switchover, so it's not really a modern printer. It just works.

I probably won't beta test Windows 10, but will be glad to install it when it's RTM.

I'd prefer Windows 9 to Windows 10 because a single digit looks better to me.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Windows 8 has been quick and stable for me, but they seriously botched it by launching a version of Windows for tablets and forcing PC and laptop users to use it.

That is my general opinion too. All the swipe gestures, and the full screen apps are a real nuisance on a non-tablet PC. The start menu is actually ok if I close my eyes while using it.
wink.gif
Just press the Windows key, they start typing the program title and it's like Windows 7 if I ignore the visual differences. Navigating the start menu by clicks is a nuisance, however.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I'd prefer Windows 9 to Windows 10 because a single digit looks better to me.

Plus think of all the extra keystrokes and storage space that will have to be taken up by W10 vs. W9 nomenclature. W10 is 50% longer.
smile.gif

On the naming I've seen two explanations: It will be the tenth major release of the NT kernal; and to prevent software confusion with Windows 95 & 98. I don't think they will call it Windows 10 when they actually release it, it will probably have a name or combination of letters like XP had.

I've installed it on two horrible little Atom netbooks, dual-boot with Windows 7 on both of them: A HP N450 1 GB converted to a nettop; and a Toshiba N455 1 GB which is used by my wife.

My impression in the two weeks I have been using it is that it is considerably faster and uses less resources than W7. They got rid of most of the W8 garbage. It has a really nice task manager. I really can't comment on comparing it with W8 or 8.1 as I've only spent about 15 minutes using them. I like it except I don't care for how it has to be linked to a OneDrive account to work, similar to how an Android/Nexus has to be linked to a Google account. Bonus: 3D Pinball for Windows [lifted off of a Windows XP machine] installs and works perfectly on W10!

My wife hates it on the Toshiba netbook. It doesn't have decent support for the unit's touchpad and she has complaints about its playback of flash videos.

I am not using it for production, I'm using Mint 17 for that. I was tempted to do a dual boot with Mint, I even downloaded the 64-bit ISO image, but Microsoft's dire warnings about possible data loss put a stop to that.

If you dual boot any Linux with Windows, you absolutely must install Linux second. The Linux install, unless you bugger something up, will not screw up the Windows installation. Windows, however, will completely pooch a Linux install.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
If you dual boot any Linux with Windows, you absolutely must install Linux second. The Linux install, unless you bugger something up, will not screw up the Windows installation. Windows, however, will completely pooch a Linux install.

There's a slim chance I might have gotten away with it because Windows would install on SDA while Linux and my home folder are on SDB, but I didn't want to risk it. I got as far as making a 30 GB NTFS partition on SDA, then I came to my senses.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It appears from the article Windows 8 might as well be called Vista 2. Companies, including the one I work for, aren't touching it, forcing MS to quickly regroup and release a palatable product.

And same for our company - bypassing Win 8 and continuing to use XP on current installations. Only new machines are (obviously) Win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back