The Paint is Peelin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well while the Beetle is in for service I'm borrowing my grandpa's 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4.0L. Has been an amazing vehicle, has 134k original miles, and my family owns some gold mines in western Arizona so it does occasionally get out into the sticks and does quite a bit of 4-wheeling. The scratches on the sides from cruisin' through the bushes doesn't matter, but the paint is starting to peel is a concern. In 2007 my grandfather bought it from an auction and it was owned by the state of Arizona as a what we assume an Ariozna Department of Transportation vehicle. I believe it was maintained very well, but I'm sure it has been parked in the Arizona sun for the past 18 years without a drop of wax or shade. I just noticed this paint on the roof flaking off and it looks like a bird pooped on it and that's made it flake off (What did that bird eat!?). I believe it's only been flaked off for a week or two at the most. I also have noticed the paint peeling on the driver's side fender for quite a while. I also have known it has peeled in the drip rails of the roof but the paint peeling there hasn't continued to peel. I did know it was peeling under the hood on the inside part of the fenders, but that didn't really matter so long as it didn't start spreading but now it looks like it is. Eventually my grandfather will buy another vehicle and the Jeep will become mine and I'll keep it forever. I know alot of people say that, but I really will keep this Jeep forever.

What I was thinking is to mask off a 3 inch X 3 inch spot on the hood in a square and sanding it down and painting it myself either with some white spray paint or maybe the color matching aerosol stuff.

What are your guy's recommendations?

2na02ah.jpg

vhf2hy.jpg

2dvudzn.jpg

2v3n1b7.jpg

rk6003.jpg

as far as only painting the spots that is only a temp fix...

is this the factory original paint? or has it been repainted?

if it is original than the paint is failing due to age and will need to be sanded to below the primer and sealed and re painted. i wish i could tell you a easy or inexpensive way to solve your problem but there is not if you want it to last and not cause more work in the future.

My background in this area is I have painted and done bodywork for over 20 years and to tech work for a paint company.

feel free to contact me via pm and I can help you if you like

Originally Posted By: mcn1970
as far as only painting the spots that is only a temp fix...

is this the factory original paint? or has it been repainted?

if it is original than the paint is failing due to age and will need to be sanded to below the primer and sealed and re painted. i wish i could tell you a easy or inexpensive way to solve your problem but there is not if you want it to last and not cause more work in the future.

My background in this area is I have painted and done bodywork for over 20 years and to tech work for a paint company.

feel free to contact me via pm and I can help you if you like
Its the original paint. My dad has done paint and body work for well over 20 years professionally too but I haven't asked him about it yet. He doesn't live close either to look at it just yet either. I'm wondering if the patches of paint will prevent it from spreading from those areas of patches

You can eventually repaint the whole Jeep by doing a 1000 spot repairs, or you can go ahead and bite the bullet and repaint the whole Jeep all at once. Either way, you'll end up repainting the whole Jeep.

That looks like a good candidate for the $50 roller Rustoleum job (google it).

GM had a worse time of it in the 90s but the water based paints just didn't want to stick.

Looking at the black fender flares that haven't faded to mid-grey, you have yourself a keeper.
01.gif

At least where you are you don't have to worry about rust!

Looks like it has a decent layer of (zinc? galvanizing?) under the paint. I'd be worried about scuffing that off on a repaint.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
tell me more about the gold mines!!!

+1

He should be driving a brand new Range Rover, not this jalopy!

Please note you have a galvanized steel body. Plain old Rustoleum is NOT the ticket here. It will just peel off.

You need to use a zinc primer or other paint that is galvanized-friendly. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Chris142
tell me more about the gold mines!!!

+1

He should be driving a brand new Range Rover, not this jalopy!

That depends on how many grams per ton of earth each mine produces.

Depends upon how good you want it to look. If you do not care what it looks like, just use a small paint brush and some Rustoleum. The repeat as necessary. If you do care what it looks like, then have the paint removed and repainted.

These other guys are right on target, it will look like a bad sunburn in just a couple of years. Thats how my paint started peeling and now its completely gone on the top.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I just noticed this paint on the roof flaking off and it looks like a bird pooped on it and that's made it flake off (What did that bird eat!?).

Bird poop in general is very acidic. You should always try to clean it off as soon as possible to avoid paint damage.

Yup, that's the classic mopar peal. Couple more years and it will get really bad. I've got 2 94's that look much worse. I've been doing touchups with rustoleum rattle cans. The only cure is to strip and repaint it. I just keep a fresh can of spray paint on hand. Something I noticed, it seems to mostly happen to white paint. I've seen some white 96-97 minivans with the same issues. Our white 2000 GC wasn't affected.

This problem started when Chrysler switched to water based paint systems. Something about the primer/paint interface...

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Yup, that's the classic mopar peal. Couple more years and it will get really bad. I've got 2 94's that look much worse. I've been doing touchups with rustoleum rattle cans. The only cure is to strip and repaint it. I just keep a fresh can of spray paint on hand. Something I noticed, it seems to mostly happen to white paint. I've seen some white 96-97 minivans with the same issues. Our white 2000 GC wasn't affected.

This problem started when Chrysler switched to water based paint systems. Something about the primer/paint interface...

Wayne

Is there a car company out there known for good paint? It seems like they all get a bad rep around here. In Phoenix with our hot weather it's the clear coats that die. I saw a ~2005 Mercedes today with paint that was totally fried. I had a 96' Chevy truck that the paint died and I've seen Fords with bad paint too. My 97' Camry had a badly sun faded paint job. My brothers 96 Lexus has peeling clear coat and so does my grandmas 02' Chevy Trailblazer and my step moms 10' Pontiac G6.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Wayne

Well, there's more than one thing going on here. From 1990-93, a sudden switch to low-VOC paint caused problems throughout the industry, but especially on Chrysler's galvanized steel bodies. You've seen these vehicles with big strips of paint peeling off of them.

By '94 they had the low-Voc paint process pretty much sorted out, and also introduced a new water-based process on some vehicles, and then in '97 yet another water-based process. In each case there were improvements and setbacks. Basically, the water based systems work well at certain temps and humidities and not at others. So, unlike 90-93 when everyone got bad paint, you could have two cars from the same plant in the same color, painted on different days, one would last and the other would peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back