Pennzoil Syn Blend Or Yellow Bottle 5w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the better oil these days the Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 or the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (Gold Bottle) 5w30

The syn blend used to be about $1.50 more than the yellow bottle now its up about $4.00 more at wm.

It is more expensive because it carries the dexos certification. Honestly, I wouldn't pay $4.00 more per quart for it over Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

The Synthetic Blend dexos is at least 50% syn and uses some GTL per their website.

I used the Pennzoil Dexos blend all last year in my Grand Prix. It seems to clean better than PYB in that engine. The burn oil on the oil stick is gone.

Currently running the QS Dexos in that car because they didn't have any Pennzoil Dexos blend when I went to buy it that day.

Crazy...
What's your expected OCI?
What's your driving environment?
How many miles do you drive per day?

The better oil is the one that fits your use/needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zpinch
You guys need to stop looking at, or using the term Dexos, such a meaningless approval.

Which approvals do you like to see? Notably, which approvals are on your current oil of choice?
whistle.gif

That is a specification, not actual oil. Amsoil signature series doesnt carry these approvals. They put money into the oil.

That is a specification, not actual oil. Amsoil signature series doesnt carry these approvals. They put money into the oil.

Huh??
21.gif

certifications, specifications and approvals are there to assure a quality standard is met, not just words and numbers on a bottle to take up space. If you're under warranty, these things matter.

I am considering running this stuff this winter instead of 5w30 PYB. I am curious about the moly content and whether or not its just PYB mixes with some synthetic.

Dexos approval means absolutly nothing to me in regards to my Jeep as its not a GM vehicle which is under warranty. The 50% syn blend is nice to know about though although some oils, Valvoline Maxlife blend, is Dexos approved IIRC, but I dont recall seeing it on the jug.

It has long captured my interest as well, but I'd only go for it if it had the same add pack as PYB with a 50% syn base booster.

Many people here have run it but alas we can't seem to get a UOA/VOA on it so I stick with PYB.

Pennzoil Syn Blend is $4.00 more than pennzoil yellow bottle both in the 5 quart containers at wm

It started off at just $1.00 more now its way up there

That did not answer my question. Additionally, Amsoil does make certain approved lubricants.

I sure wish somebody would, several here have said they were going to do a UOA of their fill but as far as I know it never materialized.

Maybe the PQIA will do a series on Dexos rated oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back