Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Is Transynd appropriate for a 4T65E?

No, SAE paper #2007-01-3987 shows that over time TranSynd tends to have a rising end torque which indicates a potential rooster tail and therefore a shudder or squawk issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Tom, I have a babied 2003 Chevy Silverado, with a 4.8 and a 4L6O transmission. At 25K miles I did a pan drain, and a cooling line flush with the Mobil version of Transynd. Exchanging about a total of 12 quarts until the fluid changed color. I plan on doing a similar cooling line exchange at 50K and am debating between my stock of Mobil TES 295, or Delco Dexron VI. The original fluid spec in 2003 was Dexron III.

Which should I choose for my next change and why? Thanks

No offense meant you are already driving a beast from a GW stdpt -- it would make no sense to go thinner and the real gain in MPG would be unnoticeable. If you are old school keep doing what you are doing on a regular basis than putting in Dex-VI with longer exchange intervals. IMO, there is nothing wrong w/ DexIII other that it is no longer licensed -- there are more transmissions out there running on DexIII than DexVi.

Rumor has it that Valvoline's current "Dex/Merc" is still the same formulation as their previously GM Certified DexIII. Does anyone know one way or another?

I just used some today to do a drain and fill on a 440-T4 in and old Pontiac so I'm curious.

Quote:
Rumor has it that Valvoline's current "Dex/Merc" is still the same formulation as their previously GM Certified DexIII. Does anyone know one way or another?

I just used some today to do a drain and fill on a 440-T4 in and old Pontiac so I'm curious.

As usual, rumor is incorrect.

Thought so, I looked at MSDS of both and yeah.

Molekule what do you think of M1 ATF D/M? Problem is I've never even SEEN the stuff anywhere!

Originally Posted By: jlmwyo
Thought so, I looked at MSDS of both and yeah.

Molekule what do you think of M1 ATF D/M? Problem is I've never even SEEN the stuff anywhere!

I have never heard of any problems with Mobil 1 MultiVehicle ATF.

Mobil 1 ATF Fluids

Last edited:
Sorry. I just saw this. There hadn't been much activity on this thread. I talked to Allison yesterday (9/29) and it is still in review. It's taking forever !!!! I wrote most of the spec before I left in 2009.

I spoke with Tom on the phone late last week; he does not frequent this site often at all. Spends most of his time on the RV sites advising folks with larger trannies found in big motor-homes, etc.

Last edited:
From what I gathered at the Allison site, TES-468 is a direct replacement for TES-295 with same length of change standards. Is this the newest version of Allison recommended fluid?

I believe TES-468 was published after I retired. I did the early test design work and test requirements while I was still there. The difference is that the TES-468 specification includes some additional testing, over and above the TES-295 specification, specifically aimed at protecting Allison Hybrid Electric (EP40/EP50)transmissions. Additional testing protects the copper winding in the stator assembly (the stationary part of the electric motors). TES-468 (and most, if not all TES-295) approved products are designed for use in these special city bus applications.

Originally Posted By: MR_TRANSYND
I believe TES-468 was published after I retired. I did the early test design work and test requirements while I was still there. The difference is that the TES-468 specification includes some additional testing, over and above the TES-295 specification, specifically aimed at protecting Allison Hybrid Electric (EP40/EP50)transmissions. Additional testing protects the copper winding in the stator assembly (the stationary part of the electric motors). TES-468 (and most, if not all TES-295) approved products are designed for use in these special city bus applications.

PS: You don't need it unless you have an EP40 or EP50 transmission in your city bus.

I have a few questions.
1 is the base oil for ATF just a light mineral oil?
2 are there any EP additives to ATF? If so what brands or are all supplied with it?
3 does synthetic ATF need additives to prevent clutch slippage?

Off topic, what does an engineer for the good old transmission designs think of CVT?

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Bump...Another TES 295 and TES 468 thread.

Why bump?

The expert that started it hasn't posted in five years...so...a bump seems pointless.

So what to be clear would be the best atf to use in a 2001 silverado has the 4l60e with 126000 miles dex 6 transynd dex3 or some amsoil redline rp eat anyone who could help me out thanks in advance

So what to be clear would be the best atf to use in a 2001 silverado has the 4l60e with 126000 miles dex 6 transynd dex3 or some amsoil redline rp eat anyone who could help me out thanks in advance
Start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one that’s already been resurrected once for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back